Drilling into helmet

Hi FISD,

I'm nearly done with my helmet build now, its merely a matter of construction now. I'm scared of drilling a hole in my helmet, as drills can be unpredictable at times and the fact that I have never used a power drill before. Are there any alternatives to using a power drill? Thanks

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

Tape around the area to be drilled with duct tape to protect the surface. It may help.

Also, start with a smaller drill bit then move to the bigger size you need. It's easier to drill and align with a smaller bit

You could use this Du-Bro Reamer

The reamer is metal and has a sharp point and a blade going up one side. As you twist, it slowly starts reaming out a hole. The deeper you go the bigger the hole. It might be more comfortable for you to use.  I used it on a few places with my 2mm thick armor and it worked great. It comes with a flat and a curved plastic cutting scissors. These come in handy too.

Edited by Squimspickle

Would that come with the risk of splitting the helmet?

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

Cutting your fingers and an ugly looking hole is what you will get. I wouldn't use that technique.

For small holes like the ones for attaching the cod snaps and ab/kidney rivets, I used a piece of tape over where I wanted the hole, marked the centre with a pencil, then used the tip of a scalpel to make a tiny pilot type indentation, then used a small screwdriver (I have a set of small jewellers type screwdrivers, which were really cheap) to slowly bore a hole through manually by using slight pressure as it goes, never force it.

I tidied up the hole with a small round file, which can also be picked up cheap, I know it's a slow way of doing it, but I have had runaway drills before and don't want to risk screwing up.

Incidentally the Jewellers Screwdrivers & Files come in very handy when assembling your blaster.

• Like 1