E11 blaster start

I'm not gone sand it or tumble it with polishing medium..

Don't want to risk it getting broken, as it is printed in several layers.

(it's firm as a whole allright, but don't want to risk it)

The picture is almost macro.... i guess i could say that it doesn't have the same texture as some of you are familar with in 3d resin prints.

Guess a simple black paint spray on it will make it nice and flat.

It weights 23grams, and i got the matte black steel version.

Absolutely love it..

Edited by Tr00per

The part fears nothing after it's been infused with bronze, after this step it's composed of 60% steel and 40% bronze if I recall correctly. You can sand it or polish it just fine. Otherwise Shapeways wouldn't offer the option to have the part polished by them or not.

If really you're afraid of damaging it you can try buffing the bottom surface first (the one facing the barrel of the MGC).

Edited by The5thHorseman

I'll see what i do on the go ...

Want to collect all parts first, and thinking about your offer...

i'm not sure if they make these big parts in metal, Aldo having them greeblies that sit behind the door greeblie ''MGC Hammers'' would be a nice thing to have accurate metal printed.

I've received my own black metal "door catch" greeblie from Shapeways. The photo above is indeed close-up showing to be rougher than in reality - the greeblie itself looks quite ok when painted black and attached on the MGC with double sided tape. We also have to remember Star Wars props were kinda rough :)

• Like 1

Glad you like it aswell Ser.

Had a message from RPF from someone, asking if i had a real photo ^_^ .

This person thought it was a render photo :D (that sure say's something)

Then another PM quickly followed :D (ohhh that is a real picture :D )

Hope one day, i can make it as nice, or close to like yours ;)

And thnx again Vern, for the tip ;)

Edited by Tr00per

Was that Markus from RPF? I told him about this Shapeways metal greeblie and he liked it. I think it is really cool, not perfectly accurate, but better than any resin one I've seen so far, and i own 2 resin ones. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The5thHorseman

Give it a good sanding and it should be good.

If you're really ready to put the price, I have the MGC hammers and the rest of the ROTJ greeblies modelled in 3D. I could upload them on Shapeways if you want?

So i ordered two of the MGC Hammers in black metal thanks to The5thHorseman. ''Thank you :duim: ''

We'll see how they turn out :)

Edited by Tr00per

• 2 weeks later...

So today, we are again one step closer to make this ROTJ E-11 Blaster complete :)

I recieved the hammer greeblies from Shapeway's, wich are 3D printed in metal.

These came out pritty nice aswell, same thing for the door catch greeblie.

Thnx again The5thHorseman, for providing them with the 3D file.

Some pic's ....

3MdLCxi.jpg

APyY52t.jpg

Yc5o8EH.jpg

Now what baffles me, is the floating claim of the part being resin, however it would make no sence at all.

As it's ''clearly'' a ''çocking Hammer'' for or from a rare MGC pistol that would strike a firing pin with great force when the trigger is pulled.

It would be pulverised on the first go if resin.

And we all know, Metal casts have seam lines aswell.

Specially on Replica guns.

It's the most stressed part on a weapon.

That's how i see it :) (would make the most sence to me)

So i went with a metal version.

Edited by Tr00per

It ain't looking the same after some polishing, huh?! ;) I'm glad you took that decision. I think it's the right choice.

However, I have the feeling those Hammers are a touch too big in size :/. My bad Dennis, sorry about that!

Hey don't worry! Nothing dramatic here. I just have the feeling they're maybe 1 or 2mm to big, and maybe it's just the picture. And even if they're indeed sligthly too big, it's not something many people would notice.

Well you made them files ?

Those go with measurements right ?

It should be the correct size, depending on your source.

They don't print it bigger or smaller.

What part makes you think it's too big ?

I had them lying on the mgc ''loose'' taken from a angle.

The other sanding picture's are almost macro ... like camera lens 6cm away from the item. (all zoomed in picture's)

What's your source ?

Edited by Tr00per

I don't own one of the original MGC hammers used to create this greeblie. This thing is like super rare to get. I made my model out of the reference pictures available by guesstimating its size.

Thing is, I was supposed to print these hammer in PLA (inexpensive) to check size first, and then have them printed in a better material. But I ended up having to pause this project to focus on other things, and I didnt' get them printed at all.

But looking back at the picture, it might just be the way you positioned them on the MGC that make me feel they're slightly too big.

Well, i think they look a little big, too.

But on the other hand - the MGC Sterlings are very rare, and have a thinner tube than real Sterlings (and their copies). If someone would make a pipe build, using 38mm (or even 40mm) pipe, and maybe some other Sterling parts, it might be good to have them on the slighly bigger side.

Come on, it´s still a pretty cheap "mistake", such is part of the hobby, it just happens. More than once.

It´s not like spending over 300 for a vintage camera, add 40 for shipping, then add min. 20% on the 340 for customs and fees - just to learn a half year later that it´s the correct camera for a donor knob, just "this" version has a different knob. It´s part of the game.

You have a real MGC, this mistake shouldn´t give you more than a "oops", or a "well.....damned".

And they still look good. Use them now, and replace them when you found something better if you are still unhappy, then. You can probably sell them to someone who´s building with a bigger diameter.

It is not a huge problem, use them as they are now and be ready to go for more accurate ones in the future. That is what I did with the door catch greeblie, I went through 2 versions before getting the Shapeways one, which is the best so far - and will get a 4th when an even more accurate or real part is available.

Well, between my version which is sligthly too big but has all correct details to it, and the other one from Toolguy you were about to buy which has a lot of inaccuracies (and we don't even know if scale is correct), I think you still made an affair.

But go on. If you're not happy I mislead you, I'll let you cry for help for other to do your work as you seem very much unable to do anything yourself except laying your cash on the table, and I will stop trying to help you. 

Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to state it, but if you think I made money out of you, you're wrong. My mark-up on this "sale" was 0%. In fact I don't even have a shop on Shapeways to earn money. What you paid is only what Shapeways is charging for the prints.

sans_t13.jpg

I named the file "necklace" because if Shapeways had figured it was a component of a gun, they wouldn't have accepted to print it.

So what you ordered is a file I uploaded on my private account for me, but that I opened to order for others only for you.

Edited by The5thHorseman

I'm well aware of you not making money from me.. (i know how shapeway's works, dealed with them before)

I'm well aware you were trying to help me. (i thanked you for that)

Well aware of a private upload, etc.. etc..

But it's not nice of you to give (critical) information, after i made the purchase and posted pictures.

Wouldn't have ordered them, if i knew this.

You must be able to understand how that makes me feel.

Now i'm being flamed aswell ? (do you know me ?)

Just becouse i can spent some cash on items, makes me a A-hole ?

Putting cash on the table for others to do work ?

NO,i buy items from people that offer them !

(that's how it works right ?,you offered it, right ?

*you offered it with lack of information*

I don't contribute to the forum in my best possible way ?

Pffff.

Why would i want to put inaccurate items on a rare MGC.

Good luck to you sir..

Edited by Tr00per

But it's not nice of you to give (critical) information, after i made the purchase and posted pictures.

Wouldn't have ordered them, if i knew this.

Because you think I'm happy when I realized they were too big? You really think I was aware of it from the beginning but said to myself: "well I don't care if they're too big, it's not for me after all"? This is so stupid... I thought it was obvious enough that if I had known of this issue I'd have it fixed first. I figured my error only becaus of the picture you posted.

Also, when you order something on Shapeways, it's dimensions are given to you before ordering. So you can blame me, but you can also blame yourself as you could perfectly have done some work on your side and checked for scale first.

Anyway. I can fixed the scale if you're so obsessed about it. Have them printed again, and sell back those ones to someone else doing a pipe build with a 38mm OD. Or... you can wait for someone to make a run of metal ROTJ greeblies while hoping that those greeblies will be accurate, and sized correctly.

I think we are both sad and angry... ''I agree''

But errors like this, could have bin avoided.... ''Perhaps from both sides yes''

You gave me the feeling and indication, that the ones you offered were correct, as you putted others down.

My frustration about this whole, that did the most to me, is that people think money grows on trees, and i should be happy with a product wich i'm not.

(It makes me feel like a experiment)

Anyway's...

All forgotten and forgiven, and i understand your frustration in this aswell.

Calm down :)

But you said some pritty harmfull stuff, wich i reacted to... so i'm grathefull that you explain a bit further.

It doesn't seem so hard to get a correct sized greeblie, as it's bin done allready..

(and no, i'm not skilled, nor do i have the knowledge to do so myself)

The correct size is out there, just not in metal.

I appriciate your effort, but taking meassurements based on a picture, is something i wished you would have told me before.

And not take so lightly that i loose €70,- becouse of it. Taken in account that i payed more then i wanted for the MGC.

We all strive for perfectness, in the end.

I'll surely take on your offer again, to have it done right...

And i appriciate you are willing to do so once more...

i really appriciate the help, as i can not do so myself.

But things got have gone differently, if some more research ... but most importently ''communication,research'' in between us self.

Edited by Tr00per

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...