New Helmet

Thought I'd show off an on going work in progress. Molds still need work (enlarge the tear drops, and narrow out the "tusks" or tubes for certain). This one is pulled using 0.080" HIPS. Let me know what you think, just go easy.

post-796-1213204126_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I hope to have it completed for an Autism Walk for this weekend so I'll post finished pics. Here is a link to the folder pictures of the evolution of this helmet and pictures utilizing other angles of this latest version. The darn tubes still bother me.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Anytime anyone makes their own bucket from scratch - man what a lot of work. I commend you on taking up this challenge. It may take a few versions, but how many people can say they sculpted their own? Great job :salute:

Thank you, that means a lot.

A little history on this...in my introductory thread (probably a year to a year and a half ago) I posted an earlier version of this work. It was very crude but was taking shape. The helmet is where my whole interest in vacuum forming started after finding Studio Creations Site. My infactuation for Star Wars and especially the Stormtroopers had been dormant for some 20 years until I came across a small blurb on day in September 2005 while taking a breather from work. It was Studio Creation's Site stating "make your own Stormtrooper". Ever since that day I have been working on this project. My only regret is not finding FISD until a year or more into the project.

Here is another picture of the helmet nearing completion. It is ear marked for a TD. I seen now the eyes need to be thinned, the dome shaved down, the bulbus tubes shaved, brow lowered, ears moved back and thinned...anything else jumping out?

More pics added:

----------

post-796-1213357597_thumb.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Please pardon all the inconsistencies in my soon to be TD armor and the prior noted work noted to be done to this helmet mold but here it is in action at the Walk for Autism, Mount Laurel, NJ on June 14, 2008.

post-796-1213716554_thumb.jpg

Please pardon all the inconsistencies in my soon to be TD armor and the prior noted work noted to be done to this helmet mold but here it is in action at the Walk for Autism, Mount Laurel, NJ on June 14, 2008.

Nice work!

I noticed a few things...the ears need to be fixed, the brow is really high (not sure if that's intended) and the eyes

are not trimmed neatly.

Otherwise, it's nice! (Are you going for a ROTJ look?)

Nice work!

I noticed a few things...the ears need to be fixed, the brow is really high (not sure if that's intended) and the eyes

are not trimmed neatly.

Otherwise, it's nice! (Are you going for a ROTJ look?)

The ears are actually ABS and a rather "soft" pull. The brow was meant to be lower but the back part of the tubes interfered with the angle of the nose to the dome (if you can understand that). To get close to the right slope and not shown and even crazier amount of dome I decided to raise the brow. As for the eyes, I am trying to keep a deep recess for the eyes. These have proved to be the most difficult part of the the pull and leaving them rather "bumpy". The helmet is centered around an ANH.

Thank you for the input.

• 2 months later...

Hey Chris, hope you don't mind me putting this up here!!

I believe I am the first to get the latest, C5 version of his helmet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I absolutely LOVE it, it's awesome!! I snapped some pics next to my FX for comparison, sorry about the crappiness of the photos :lol: (Chris' is on the left, slightly smaller than FX)

th_IMG_1795.jpg

th_IMG_1796.jpg

th_IMG_1797.jpg

th_IMG_1798.jpg

th_IMG_1799.jpg

I wanted to wear it to the Pottery Barn event today, but was unable to get some padding in due to busy work the last few weeks... :angry:

Hey Chris, hope you don't mind me putting this up here!!

I believe I am the first to get the latest, C5 version of his helmet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I absolutely LOVE it, it's awesome!! I snapped some pics next to my FX for comparison, sorry about the crappiness of the photos :lol: (Chris' is on the left, slightly smaller than FX)

I personally think you should lower the eyebrow on the left helmet, as right now it has a sad and worried look to the eyes :)

Nice - keeps getting better. :) I'd make the eyes a bit smaller IMHO on the v6.

Agreed. I've changed the size and location about 5 times now, but they definitely need to get a bit smaller (shorter in height). Thanks Bro for posting! Hopefully someday soon I can get back to work on this.