Plastic "For Sale" signs?

Hey guys! So on a costuming group (501st private group), I showed a FOTK chest plate I made from record dividers (The method I created was make a cut, heat it, and shape. I made gauntlets with them for a Ringwraith, and they worked wonders), and someone mentioned how they've known some people to use plastic "For Sale" signs for armor. Now my question is, if someone did this and made armor accurately, and submitted to the 501st, could it be approvable? Now of course, the only way it would be approvable is if it was bonded with fiberglass (or some other bonding substance), but I wanted to check in with you guys. If you have any pictures of an armor using this method, I would love to see them!

Also, I will provide a pic of the record divider chest plate soon :) I may be going for 501st on this one, so hopefully it will work great!

Well if you can get it up to standards then you should be fine. It would be interesting to see the chest piece. Though, have you thought about just using plain white abs? They come in bigger sheets than most for sale signs.

Here is my chest piece. Since the record dividers are only so big, I cut them at the area where there are paralell line indentations running along the sides. The pieces running under the arms are seperate, hence the clamps. I am planning on cutting a rectangular piece, and putting it behind the lines so that I can then glue the pieces to it, so they become 1 big piece. Would this pass?

post-28645-0-60301700-1462649972_thumb.jpg

Try looking for a plastic supply in your area. Call and ask if they have ABS sheets around 0.09 inch thick. It will most likely be textured on one side and smooth on the other. The suppliers around here charge between $50 and $90 a sheet.

• Like 2