Paint comparison

There has been alot of talk about paint recently. So I shot some paint today and thought I'd post up the results. Not to worry I'll get to Krylon Fusion when I get some.

I shot the paint on straight ABS, so no sanding or primer. The Rustoleum pro enamel is the closest match to the ABS like we all know. I tried some Krylon H20 since many of the Vaders are using it because of the insane gloss. Well I can say it is much much glossier than the pro enamel, but it is also a very bright white. If you painted a suit of armor with this It may match the MRCE well as bright as it is.

fKQANeR.jpg

The picture is darker than what I see. The H2O is as bright as 96+ brightness paper, and it is glossier than anything else I've seen out of a rattle can.

• 2 weeks later...
The picture is darker than what I see. The H2O is as bright as 96+ brightness paper, and it is glossier than anything else I've seen out of a rattle can.

Does anyone have any idea how glossy Krylon Fusion is? Wanting some in Gloss Black, and it needs to be insanely glossy!!

I've got Fusion now but the weather needs to improve for me to spray. I already know that it's not as glossy as the pro enamel, or the H2O.

Depending on what you are using it for you may want to use a gloss clear coat.

Fusion is a low lustre. If you want super glossy, you'll need to do a clear coat and buff it out.

Gloss fusion is glossy if you know what you're doing. You put two good coats of fusion on, let them cure for 3-7 days. Then you wet sand the finish with 1500 grit, it should be perfectly smooth with a matte appearance. Then you buff it out with polishing compound. You will see yourself in the finish it will be that glossy. After 30 days apply a high quality, clearcoat safe (i.e. non stripping) wax. You're good to go. It's nice to have body shop professionals in the family to get tips and secrets from...

Gloss fusion is glossy if you know what you're doing. You put two good coats of fusion on, let them cure for 3-7 days. Then you wet sand the finish with 1500 grit, it should be perfectly smooth with a matte appearance. Then you buff it out with polishing compound. You will see yourself in the finish it will be that glossy. After 30 days apply a high quality, clearcoat safe (i.e. non stripping) wax. You're good to go. It's nice to have body shop professionals in the family to get tips and secrets from...

The purpose of this thread is to compare products out of the can. Any paint can be made glossy with enough work.

SuperTrooper said:

There has been alot of talk about paint recently. So I shot some paint today and thought I'd post up the results. Not to worry I'll get to Krylon Fusion when I get some.

I shot the paint on straight ABS, so no sanding or primer. The Rustoleum pro enamel is the closest match to the ABS like we all know. I tried some Krylon H20 since many of the Vaders are using it because of the insane gloss. Well I can say it is much much glossier than the pro enamel, but it is also a very bright white. If you painted a suit of armor with this It may match the MRCE well as bright as it is.

That white space next to the color samples is the color of the MR CE Stunt helmet...

Lol.

:D

The purpose of this thread is to compare products out of the can. Any paint can be made glossy with enough work.

Agreed. Have you worked out pigment inconsistencies from can to can of the same brand yet? That is still my biggest irritant.

Agreed. Have you worked out pigment inconsistencies from can to can of the same brand yet? That is still my biggest irritant.

Don't even try. I'm painting a suit for a friend and I bought a case (6 cans) of the pro enamel so they would be from the same paint lot. I learned a long time ago doing models to always buy paint for a project from the same paint lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've got another update.

I finally shot some Krylon Fusion. It's whiter than the pro enamel, but nowhere close to the H20. It is also the least glossy and reflective of the three. After it fully cures I'll do some unscientific testing to test durability of all the paints.

Also with the H20, I tried it out. Don't paint a helmet with this stuff. I sprayed a lite coat and the stuff is so thin it slid right off the primer and made a runny drippy mess around the bottom of the helmet. On the bright side if you are trying to reproduce the drips the originals had this actually looked very close and the drips were noticeable but not pronounced.

Pictures to come later.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fusion still seems too white. I wonder if you could do a blending of colours to get 'yellow' white, I'm almost going to say cream colour? Like do a undercoat of a cream/yellowish paint, light coat of Rustoleum and then clear coat?

Would really like my bucket to match my armour without having to paint everything the same. Might try it.

DD.