I'm totally new, what should I buy?

I'm brand new to the whole 501st thing, and I'm looking to do storm trooper armor, but I'm running across some problems because of my size. I know ATA armor is well-received here, but I'm 5'1" and 110 lbs and when I contacted the seller he said the shortest person he knew that wore it was 5'3". I was also looking at TKArmor, who said that with some trimming their kit could fit me.

I'm not afraid to do a little DIY, because I'm pretty crafty and since my dad works in the construction field I have access to a lot of the tools people use.

Are either of these good choices for me, or should I look elsewhere? I'm 18 and going to college in the fall, so I don't have 1-3k to spend on this thing.

How much work are either of these kits going to take to get me into the 501st?

Should I pick a different armor/character all together!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm brand new to the whole 501st thing, and I'm looking to do storm trooper armor, but I'm running across some problems because of my size. I know ATA armor is well-received here, but I'm 5'1" and 110 lbs and when I contacted the seller he said the shortest person he knew that wore it was 5'3". I was also looking at TKArmor, who said that with some trimming their kit could fit me.

I'm not afraid to do a little DIY, because I'm pretty crafty and since my dad works in the construction field I have access to a lot of the tools people use.

Are either of these good choices for me, or should I look elsewhere? I'm 18 and going to college in the fall, so I don't have 1-3k to spend on this thing.

How much work are either of these kits going to take to get me into the 501st?

Should I pick a different armor/character all together!

Thanks!

Hello, we have a new 501st member in our garrison that is 4'11" and wears ATA. I cut it to fit myself and it looks awesome!   

• Like 1

Hey there and welcome. I would highly recommend ATA or AP for you. You will be able to modify either kit to fit you. I would stay away from TKarmour as that is an older AM kit which you would probably need to replace the chest and back. And those are for the larger trooper. Good luck.

You certainly don't have to spend $1k to $3k to get approved into the 501st.  I would believe that to hit basic approval with many reasonably priced kits...you would be somewhere between $600 and $800...but if you want to go for higher CRL's, add in extras like electronics, holsters, fans, weapons, etc...you will easily go over the $1K mark.  

I bought an Anovos kit for $650, and with boots, some extras, and building towards Centurion...I think I'm in the $1025 range, but I haven't gotten my blaster, fans, and voice electronics yet.  I figure when I'm all done, I'll probably have spent nearly $1600 or so on my suit.  

SShhhhhhh, don't tell the misses!   :laugh1:

You've got some pretty solid advice there from some pretty good people. One thing I'd like to add, is stay away from TKarmor, Jedi Robes or any other website that claims they will build you a 501st armor.

This hobby is DIY and one of the biggest reason for that, is that everything has to be customized. It's not impossible to make the armor fit you, people have done it in the past. Yes, you will have to make adjustments. The armor was, after all, made for actors about 5'10 and 160. It hasn't stopped people over 6 feet tall from getting approved. It hasn't stopped people over 250 pounds from getting approved and like Tony said, they had someone 4'11 approved!

It can be done with time, some elbow grease, research and help from the right people, which you'll find plenty around here...

Most of all, welcome and have fun!

Edited by =Sv3=
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello Guys,

By way of introduction, I am the person behind TK Armour UK and my name is David.

Hey bud! I believe this isn't the best place to be introducing yourself. You might want to head over to the new members sub forum.

Cheers! :)

Hello Guys,

By way of introduction, I am the person behind TK Armour UK and my name is David.

There seems to be alot said about me and I thought I would give the opportunity for you to ask me any questions directly as there seems to be a few Chinese Whispers happening.

I have been making armour since about 2004 when I started in Australia. I have studied materials engineering and am fairly familiar with plastic and rubber processing.

I initially started with armour of the FX variety which I made for many years and sent out many units at a very affordable price. I guess my entry into the market at my price range was compared with Aldi supermarkets, the big supermarkets didn't like it!

I later evolved the helmet to a more desirable design as the FX was considered big and not accurate enough.

As I supplied larger companies directly with armour i needed to become a Limited company as many corporate buyers will not deal with some guy making armour in his shed. TK Armour UK Ltd was created with an office in central London and a Barclays company account to deal with transactions with individuals and larger companies.

I spent some time in 2015 changing my molds to be closer to the ANH style of armour with all the faults.

I have exhibited at a few comiccons around the world to just show that I am here and this is my armour. I was at a Comiccon in Belfast in 2015 when I met a member of the Irish 501st legion. He commented that the armour was a good effort and not far off. I asked him if he could guide me as i was open to constructive criticism. He brought across to me kits from 3 of the more significant makers and advised me to make changes to mine that would reflect similarities with the other makers making mine more accurate without being too close to the others. I followed his advice and have kept mine individual and different to the others.

Whilst I was changing my molds I supplied the Britains Got Talent golden Buzzer act Boogiestorm with my first version armour. They came in 3rd and had 80 million hits on youtube. Since my changing of the armour I have also changed their armour to my new version. These guys are doing a great job with sick children etc.

I have made mistakes on the way and sometimes I have disappointing some people. But I have never ripped anyone off. I have had many people rip me off. I have been all around the world to places where armour makers would never bother to go. I have gone to visit costume groups all over the world and many people know my name and many have many thanks for me.

I will be at the MCM London Comiccon as an exhibitor this weekend if anyone wants to see what I am about or just to see my armour parts. You can also catch an autograph and photo of Boogiestorm at my table on Saturday as they are performing there if you are lucky.

Please, open one introductory thread for yourself. Stop spamming every thread possible.