Triktoy Voice Amp with Stompers Hovis - Feedback problems

I have the voice amp from triktoys and the hovis from stomper ... I wired everything inside the helmet ..... unfortunately i have a feedback noise when i turn on the amp (half volume) ... even when i only touch the mic I have the feedback noise.

Is it a problem of the mic (its the one which came with the amp) and is there a possibility to avoid this feedback noise ?

I got the kit that cost $100+ from Triktoys and have it all in my FX helmet, like you I can only have about half the volume turned up. If more I get feedback, and having it half way like it is right now is no good. But maybe if you put the card+battery box outside the helmet, like under your chest plate, the feedback might stop.... or is the feedback caused by the mic being too close to the aeartors?.. havn't tested it yet....

This is the kit..------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The problem is probably the mic. Make sure you have an uni directional mic instead of an omni directional one. Also get a quality mic as well.

@ ironclaw .... i have the exact same amp and also wired it the same way as u did .... i dont like the chest solution cause i want that the sound is coming out of the helmet

@ supertrooper .... how do i know what kind of mic i have and wheres the difference ?

is there any solution like using foam on the mic to avoid this feedback ?

You'd have to contact Triktoys about the mic, as they usually don't say what kind they are on the mic. The difference between omni and uni mics is one picks up sound for all directions and the other just captures sound from one direction. That's what causes feedback is the mic picking up the sound from the speakers.

You'd have to contact Triktoys about the mic, as they usually don't say what kind they are on the mic. The difference between omni and uni mics is one picks up sound for all directions and the other just captures sound from one direction. That's what causes feedback is the mic picking up the sound from the speakers.

Ahh, cool.. then I have a good mic here.. got 4 of them... and 2 of them picks up the sound from one angle only..... gonna try it sometime.... busy now...

it's very good headset. it reduces and sometimes eliminates feedback

Ralph

errm,.....I don't know how to say this, but the reviews on that link you posted say that its terrible.

I know its all about opinions and you have nothing but good to say about your one but I just

thought I'd mention it.

Please don't hate me :(

yea its all about opinions but it works good to me

Hmm, doesn't work for me. Like I said earlier, I have the Triktoys $100+ sound system. It is ment to be placed inside the helmet. The thing is - I can't get it to work without feedback (high pitch loud noise). If I have the volume at like 50%, then there is no problem with the feedback, but with just 50% volume my voice is not heard through the aerators. If I have proper amount of volume so that my voice can be heard, feedback occurs with any mic I try. I've tried 4 mics, 2 of them having sound input from just one side and it makes no difference, still feedback. Only way to prevent feedback at max volume with any mic is to keep it in my closed fist, then I can move the mic right next to the aerators, but then I can't speak :)...

Donno what to do. Seems like this kit isn't functioning well and only way to make it work is to just skip the aerator speakers and use another speaker far away from the helmet, like on the belt or maybe under the chest, but then it's not cool as the voice doesn't come from the aerators...

Any suggestions?

I built my VOX out of a $6 walmart toy and supertroopers speakers and all is well. Total cost was under $25. For a couple of dollars LESS, I fixed up the same rig only wireless so there is no wire connecting the helmet to the chest plate and the speaker is mounted in the chest. It has louder volume and you cant tell the sound is coming from the chest. Works great. Right now I'm pushing one 2 inch speaker, considering mounting a second speaker for even more volume.

Where as most people think a higher quality mic is the answer, I think the complete opposite. The crappier the mic is the more stormtrooper-ish it sounds. My $.02

I built my VOX out of a $6 walmart toy and supertroopers speakers and all is well. Total cost was under $25. For a couple of dollars LESS, I fixed up the same rig only wireless so there is no wire connecting the helmet to the chest plate and the speaker is mounted in the chest. It has louder volume and you cant tell the sound is coming from the chest. Works great. Right now I'm pushing one 2 inch speaker, considering mounting a second speaker for even more volume.

Where as most people think a higher quality mic is the answer, I think the complete opposite. The crappier the mic is the more stormtrooper-ish it sounds. My $.02

In this case it's the crappy speaker quality of the aerators that makes it sound stormtrooperish. If I play a mp3 through them at low volume, it sounds great, if I play a bit higher, then it sound crap. So they are made like this to make stormtrooper voice. They sound like they have been "blown" for lack of a better word (we say blown in swedish when speakers has been used with way too loud volume, they break sort of making the quality suck)

What I will do is to place those 2 aerators under my chest, have everything else in the helmet and it's all great, just put back the original aerators I got with the helmet. So now I have a decent sound system. Too bad with the volume I want, people can hear me breathe :D. Need to make an on/off switch placed convenient somewhere.... oh well.. no rush.

i used a mic from my old webcam (its without batteries) with the triktoys amp and now i can turn on the volume up to 80 % without feedback, so the feedback problem is definetly occured by the mic from triktoys .. and as u can see an old cheap mic should solve the feedback problem ... so theres no need to get a mic over 20 bucks

Ironclaw, is it possible that you wired up something wrong? Did you wire the speakers up in parallel or series (not that it makes a huge difference)?

Ironclaw, is it possible that you wired up something wrong? Did you wire the speakers up in parallel or series (not that it makes a huge difference)?

Don't know what parallel or series is :), but I wired them like the instructions told me to, and used common sense. So I guess they are correctly wired as you don't really need to be a rocket scientist to do this thing :). But who knows, maybe rewire them could fix the problem.... will try it sometime.... no rush.