Anybody tried this with snap plates?

And did it work OK?

I'm starting to build an internal strapping system, so i've been looking at threads regarding how to make the snaps and plates, particularly trying to keep the base of the plate flush to the armour, so it can bond properly (i.e. Maximum area to bond).

So I installed the snaps onto plates, then heated the snap plate and used two bars of aluminium to push down. Ideally, I suppose i'd have made a square metal jig plate with a hole for the snap to sit it, then push down.

If anyone has tried this with success, please let me know. (Or a better system)

I've seen someone use a soldering iron to melt the snap into the plate to make it flush, but reckon this might not leave enough ABS to be strong enough?

3iJJSVw.jpg

XiSpqTg.jpg

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8322-new-idea-for-snap-plate-assembly/

Check out this post of how Pandatrooper handled that situation with the leveling the bottom of the plastic plates.

Hi, thanks, that's one of the threads I saw. It uses rivets, though. I'm trying to just use the snaps.
  • Like 1

Hi, yes I used the philips head screwdriver method :) But not the one pictured, that was just a tester :D

What was the tube you used to push down on the heated plate?

Edited by humperdingle

What was the tube you used to push down on the heated plate?

Was an old torch, just the right size and wasn't bothered by the heat as it was aluminum

Was an old torch, just the right size and wasn't bothered by the heat as it was aluminum

Aah, cool. I'm sure i've got a square steel washer with the right size hole to just fit over the snap.

Did they work fine?