Filling Holes in ABS Armor

I have a set of FX armor and I am about to replace my ABS belt with a Canvas one. Unfortunately I had drilled 4 holes in the back plate to secure the belt and canister with 4 bolts. Worked great, but 2 of the holes are below the cut area in the butt plate. What's a good method of sealing the holes so that when I move the belt up they would not be too visible?

Somewhere on here someone made a paste with ABS shavings and acetone and was able to fill a deep cut with it. I did a search but couldnt find it...since today i have no life, lol, i may scour around and try n find it. i remember him being specific on using a little acetone at a time. The Rite-Aid store by my house sells "100% pure acetone" in the nail polish remover section. Apparently they use it to remove glue on nail tips n such. :huh: So you should be able to find it pretty easily.

EDIT: FOUND IT!! ABS REPAIR PASTE

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I just cut the Butt plate, added snaps and filled the holes. I used some fine shavings with acetone and it made a putty like material I was able to stick in the holes. I then glued on a small piece of ABS from the back to keep it in place. The bottom ones are barely visible, and the top ones will be covered by the belt. I also just replaced my velcro on the cod piece with snaps as well. Here are some shots, I made a ton of extra snap holders to hold my side gap plates which I plan to make out of the belt once I replace it with canvas. Do you think 2 horizontal abs belt pieces would be OK? There would be a horizontal seam, but I think it would be better then the white pleather like material I am using. I could use any advice anyone has on attaching the belt and holster as well. I am planning to attach the gun belt from behind with snaps and rivet the snap male part to the belt. Any feedback or direction would be appreciated, these last few steps should be me in range of Elite status once I get my new helmet and E-11.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 year later...

Somewhere on here someone made a paste with ABS shavings and acetone and was able to fill a deep cut with it. I did a search but couldnt find it...since today i have no life, lol, i may scour around and try n find it. i remember him being specific on using a little acetone at a time. The Rite-Aid store by my house sells "100% pure acetone" in the nail polish remover section. Apparently they use it to remove glue on nail tips n such. :huh: So you should be able to find it pretty easily.

EDIT: FOUND IT!! ABS REPAIR PASTE

Yes,

It works great! I just did the same thing with my AP ANH armor, by repairing the edges, after ironing them (to give some thickness to it). The edges looked pretty gnarly after ironing them, melted and cracked. So I applied the ABS paste on and around the edges, filled in all the cracks. So I had more to work with, when sanding it down. But be careful using it on thinner parts of your armor, as it will melt through the stuff, and warp the surface. I had that very situation with my helmet. Now I have to fix that! Probably with some bondo, then sand, and repaint the thing. What a pain!

Jess

• 2 years later...

Tried this method and it didn't work real well. From what I have heard it should turn into a pudding consistency and it didn't. Not sure what the wait time is on this stuff to turn, but I waited about 10 mins and it remained unchanged. I ordered apoxie paste and will end up using that.

10 minuyes would only work if your ABS is like a dust. Any bigger pieces need more time in the acetone. Expect more like an hour than 10 minutes. And use an air tight lid on your container so the acetone doesn't evaporate instantly.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Okay, I don't know I've been doing wrong, but when I make the stuff, it's good to go within about 5 minutes, and works a treat.

Do you guys stir yours, or just leave it sitting there?