Dougal's ANH Hero Build -- RTMod

Wow!!

What a journey this has been to get to this point. Where do I start...

I guess I should start by thanking our new detachment leader! Tim has been my go to guy since I joined the FISD in July of 2014. His E-11 build thread, along with many other build threads that I credit in my thread, helped me build an awesome display piece for my living room! Here is my E-11 build thread. My First Build

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/28003-My-First-Build (Which the admins could move to the E-11 build threads if they so desire as I started that in the wrong area.)

Tim has been there for every question I have asked concerning my E-11 build and during the process of sourcing, ordering, buying and now building this beautiful Stormtrooper kit from Rob at RTMod. I honestly received my kit last month and have already started to overwhelm him with questions in pms. So, after finding out that he is our new Detachment leader I figured I better start this build thread finally to ease the weight of all my questioning on him, lol! I can't thank you enough Tim! You are the epitome of troopers helping troopers.

Ok, so while waiting for that infamous brown box to arrive I decided to buy a fully built Tie armor and helmet setup from a vendor here on the FISD. I won't go into in detail, as this is not the place for it. But needless to say, it was not a pleasant buying experience at all and I still don't have what was originally promised and probably will never have. I am still in contact with this person and am hoping to finally have everything that was promised but we will just have to wait and find out. Not everyone handles their business like Rob at RTMod! On a positive note I did purchase all the soft goods and other bits separately so I was able to get approved as a Reserve Pilot. Officially TI62403!!! Happy Dayz!!!

Also during the wait, I was able to start buying the bits and pieces needed to finish this build. I have gone from fully accurate to deciding to use snaps instead. I am also hoping to achieve Centurion level with this build. So I plan on incorporating all upgrades during the build. Thank you in advance to anyone that decides to follow my build and offer me advice and help!

The build has started! I started with the biceps. I am working on the forearms now as well. Pictures follow and questions shortly there after. This is so freaking exciting!

Here's the box! If I had the skills I would have thrown some JJ effects in there but nope it's just a box! (How a simple brown box can bring joy to so many grown men is just amazing!!)

F59CA04F-2FFF-4ECF-BFAB-AEB881DF5A34_zps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Dougal
  • Like 2

The biceps --

Dry fitting them -

3D16265E-605E-47FC-9AF6-C43AF481C2C7_zps

Starting to glue -

DDFC47CB-0482-4F07-9D11-93DBB23E4B52_zps

I am glueing the insides first. Most of the cover strips were precut by the RTMod team. Arm sections are a 15mm strip. But they didn't supply enough and they are to small in length. I should only have to cut four cover strips for the arm sections and they will be the outside strips for the forearms. I will get to that soon enough.

Cover strip trimmed up and edges sanded. I like the small rounded corners over straight flat cuts -

A251FB8B-255B-4989-AC36-507FBEFAB9D5_zps

This is the strip provided by Rob. Way to small for the outside -

5F6C9BEE-64D4-426E-9EE2-39F1770EAA33_zps

First bicep together -

70FE138A-5386-497B-AD29-B1BE98383F56_zps

3562BBAA-46AE-411F-9ACE-DF19F1760D83_zps

Dimple removed -

Before

F545C14A-344D-413C-A55D-3995C66E3236_zps

After

488AD029-5132-475E-9BF3-83CBD82B9E0C_zps

Next up the forearms...

• Like 2

Great job so far! Yah for another RT-MOD trooper!!

Thank you Randy!

Question for all you RTMod brothers...

On the forearms the top track ends at the wrist and the elbow joint. In screen shots that I've seen the track extends the length of the forearm. I did see Eric mention to Tim to trim it if able. My question is did you trim yours or did you use a hobby iron to remold the elbow joint end? I know I am going to trim the wrist end any as per Centurion guidelines. But just not sure if the extra half inch I cut off is going to screw me in the other end. Total plastic removed would amount to about 3/4" loss in length. 1/4" from the wrist and a 1/2 " from the elbow end. Pictures of your forearms would be great! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dougal

After further review of some RTMod build threads I decided to go for it!

7F688604-3F54-42CA-B680-803F7F1B8AD2_zps

Standing up you can definitely see the 3/4" difference.

AA07ED5F-AFE4-4311-A2D5-6683E21E0FD0_zps

EJGreen's build showed them after the cut and that's exactly what I wanted them to look like. Thank you Eric!! I also checked how they would fit guesstimating what they may look like after the cut and based on a ton of different Centurion submission photos I analyzed I should be more then ok. After the cut I tried them on again with masking tape and I'm very happy with the outcome!

1EE3ED42-69C3-49F7-A6F2-808131A65B2F_zps

First one is glueing. The glueing is a very slow process. I only bought 25 magnets so I can only work one side at a time. That's 4 days a piece, lmao! It is going to be worth it end the end. Maybe the end of June at this rate... But worth it!

0227303D-AD48-42B0-82AE-7AD0BE1945BB_zps

That's it for now. Off to work. I still need to buy my fans and electronics yet, so money must be made!!

• Like 1

One more strip on the forearms to glue and I can move on to the next piece. I'm thinking shins. Still up in the air on whether I should use a Velcro closure for the back of the shins or the more screen accurate bra clasps? What do you all think? Will the holes for the bra clasps eventually crack? RTMod is pretty thick abs... Is either choice a more durable choice? Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Dougal

Looking good Carl! Of course, I knew that already. ;) LoL. I've had no issue whatsoever with the plastic cracking in the shins. The hooks have to be reshaped from time to time, but my plastic is fine. I know of an RT-Mod trooper who used larger hooks, and put eyelets in the holes to protect the plastic, so there are options, even in doing it the original way.. Keep at it!!

• Like 3

Carl, looking great so far! Tim's right about the durability of Rob's armor. The clips do look super accurate but I chose the Velcro only because of the ease of putting my armor on Solo(rebel scum).<br><br><br>

And on the forearms I did the same thing so I'm sure your good there. Oh yeah, get more magnets! You can never have enough and when your finished and trooping you can let newer members of your garrison use them. Mine are on someone's armor right now! THT

Edited by magni
  • Like 1

Hmmm... So the bra clasps are just a little harder to put on? I'm swaying towards bra clasps me thinks!! I have had my share of experience with bra clasps, I should be good.

Edited by Dougal

Any special paint color to use for the TD? Should it be glossy? Flat?

I used the same color for the frown. Simply because I had it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I only purchased one small tub of humbrol grey... Ugh! Logical idea of using the same grey though. The simple things one looks past lol...

I had enough with one tube.

• Like 1

I had enough with one tube.

Awesome! Ill try that out. Worst thing that happens, I have to get another tub when I order my s-trim from trooperbay. Thanks Tolo!

Edited by Dougal

Awesome! Ill try that out. Worst thing that happens, I have to get another tub when I order my s-trim from trooperbay. Thanks Tolo!

My pleasure!

Ok while I was in NY on business this week I stopped at an area Hobby Lobby that I was staying next to and found Gloss Grey from testors. I figured I had my hands on it I might as well get it so I can keep working while I was away. (Yes I brought parts to work on in the evening while on a business trip... I'm horrible I know, lol)

B0F91934-F827-43F9-A740-238ED1918312_zps

Edited by Dougal

So as it stands I have (4) pieces glued together and am working on the TD and (1) of the shins as I type.

Shins.. I believe I will leave them as is without any modification. They seem to fit very nice right out of the box. I'll leave the trimming until after some troops so I can pinpoint any areas that "bite" me. No pictures of the shins yet but I will get some posted soon.

AAEB2A73-B55D-4262-97BA-54A8DAA126B1_zps

Edited by Dougal

TD looks good, shins look good - but... With the shins, be prepared to cut out a lot of the return half, especially in the front, beneath the knees. That's the one area in the entire kit that gave me serious bites during the build/test-fit process.

• Like 2