Complete beginners ANOVOS build

HI guys!

I am completely new to the trooping world I ordered the ANOVOS kit last year on recommendation as I am a very large Starwars fan and have always wanted to join the 501st. currently attempting basic level certification of ANH stunt as I have VERY limited tools and funds.

I would dearly love input and thoughts!

Day 1
I got home very late so mostly just took everything out of the box.
I did have time to put together the thermal detonator as it was a very simple build 

Day 2
Didn't have much time but rough cut the abdomen plate and made a first pass for finishing

Day3
Stopped using exacto and switched to dremal, MUCH faster but more clean up, which I find more fun anyways. 

Some abdomen, butt and chest parts out of the way as well as the sniper guard. Doing rough cuts first then going to do clean up in a second pass. 

post-23882-0-24125800-1454691486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Professor Why

Any recommendations on where to get latex replacement hand guards for ANH within the community? Or is trooperbay really my best bet.

also it will not allow me to use photobucket for some reason it claims it is not allowed.

Edited by Professor Why

Sonnenschein stopped her production on latex handgards so trooperbay is the next option. Another choice would be the imperial supply depot on Facebook.<br><br>

I recommend to you that you look for higher ranks from beginning on (Expert Infantry & Centurion). It's harder to make the changes later than doing it all right from the start on. You won't need any more tools than for basic approval.

Anyone have recommendations on the cheapest place to find these?

upholstery foam ( for sections of armor interior)
industrial Velcro (to allow replacement of foam)
chin strap (for helmet mod)
belt replacement (due to ANOVOS's being less then acquitted)
white elastic ( for chest and back attachment due to ANOVOS giving black elastic)
Paint: 
Humbrol No; 5 AD grey
Humbrol No; 14 French blue

I know my local home depot has most of these but I wanted to see if there were any better sources.

You can get the whole set of Humbrol colors for 12$ at trooperbay.com<br>

For the belt I recommend the For Sale section here in the forum.<br>

Velcro, foam straps and elastics should be found at local hardware stores. If you have a sewing store - maybe go there for elastics.<br>

And of course you can also get all this stuff on eBay. (but i would not buy a belt there....)

Anyone have recommendations on the cheapest place to find these?

upholstery foam ( for sections of armor interior)
industrial Velcro (to allow replacement of foam)
chin strap (for helmet mod)
belt replacement (due to ANOVOS's being less then acquitted)
white elastic ( for chest and back attachment due to ANOVOS giving black elastic)
Paint: 
Humbrol No; 5 AD grey
Humbrol No; 14 French blue

I know my local home depot has most of these but I wanted to see if there were any better sources.

I just received a new belt from Rob Kittell as sold here within the forums and it looks great!!: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19803-fs-white-canvas-belts/?hl=+rob%20+kittell

Good luck!

Edited by gromitsdad

• 2 months later...

My life may have been a tad crazy of late so progress for the past while was slow but the past two weekends I had lots of extra time! Thanks to ukswrath's ANOVOS guide I was saved a lot of pain and potential errors. I can not thank you enough for that guide. Last night I did some fitting tests, lots of finagling left to do but here are the early results. (I am aware a few parts are facing incorrectly I had to do this all alone except the pictures thanks to the timely return of my girlfriend).

MuloYBp.jpg?1 52IxxrI.jpg?2 jMxwKGr.jpg?1 lXI9d9f.jpg?1

Any recommendations for sizing and fitting things to your body and size while keeping ratios?

I am skinny (150lbs) and 5"10 my legs are thicker than most but my arms are skinnier.

thanks all!

May the force be with you.

Edited by Professor Why

Well for starters your thighs are installed incorrectly, the longest seam should be facing forward, but that's just an adjustment. You have the perfect frame for this suit of armor. There are many build threads available for you to follow.

Things to keep in mind:

Follow sucessful guidelines (build threads)

Give yourself some room between you and the armor

You can only trim the armor down so far, you may have to add foam to align or support 

Ask questions

Cheers

• Like 1

Here goes my plethora of questions

1. I am currently planning on using roofing foam to fill gaps because it's what I have on hand. Any recommendations for a better substitute? 

2.I was thinking about making my own silicon hand guards using mineral spirits silicon caulk and corn starch which has worked really well for me in the past. If I used the hard shell ANOVOS parts to make a mold for this would that be frowned upon even if only for personal use?

3. I am aware there are parts that are not centurion grade in the ANOVOS kit but I have had some conflicting reports as to whether there are any that are not even level one acceptable. based on ukswrath's guide I am pretty sure the base kit is at least level one in every department. Wanted to double check this.

4.I was thinking about getting some more practice with sketch up by designing and 3d printing a commlink and have been struggling to track down dimensions as well as the type of mesh used. anyone have that info?

5.The bubble lens in ANH are only for hero and I am assuming you can not use them on stunt because 501st states stunt lens should be flat but if you put bubble on a stunt is that acceptable? Thought I'd ask to make sure.

Edited by Professor Why

And listen to Tony !  He knows his stuff.  :smiley-sw013:

Haha thanks Jamie, but there's quite a few knowledgeable builders and mfgs here on the FISD. Credit goes to everyone.

Adding to the post above, look for EIB and/or Centurion applications (approved) that use anovos armour then find the build threads for them, that way you will be following builds you know are right and you can't go wrong...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Here goes my plethora of questions

1. I am currently planning on using roofing foam to fill gaps because it's what I have on hand. Any recommendations for a better substitute? 

2.I was thinking about making my own silicon hand guards using mineral spirits silicon caulk and corn starch which has worked really well for me in the past. If I used the hard shell ANOVOS parts to make a mold for this would that be frowned upon even if only for personal use?

3. I am aware there are parts that are not centurion grade in the ANOVOS kit but I have had some conflicting reports as to weather there are any that are not even level one acceptable. based on ukswrath's guide I am pretty sure the base kit is at least level one in every department. Wanted to double check this.

4.I was thinking about getting some more practice with sketch up by designing and 3d printing a commlink and have been struggling to track down dimensions as well as the type of mesh used. anyone have that info?

5.The bubble lens in ANH are only for hero and I am assuming you could not use them on stunt because 501st states stunt lens should be flat but if you put bubble on a stunt is that acceptable? Thought I'd ask to make sure.

1) May I suggest fabric foam, stuff that may not be as harmful to your body  ;)

2) More power to you. That's what it's all about. If you can hand craft it yourself, go for it.

3) There's nothing about the armor itself that will keep it from L3. Build it correctly and follow the many build threads where the armor has been approved at L3 and you're golden.

4) Mesh for what?

5) Bubble lens, not even for basic "Stunt"

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• Lenses are flat material, green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

Hope this helps

Thank so much for the info! 

as for the mesh. The mesh for the comlink on the intake side. It seems to be the same kind used for the mic tips on the bucket.

zzEmnTL.png

Yea the tip should be the same Hovi tip used on your helmet. You can either buy the whole tip assembly from someone or make your own. The mesh can be made from flour sifter screen if you want to save some $$. Just go to a dollar store if you have one near buy, pick up a sifter and cut out the screen. 

zzEmnTL-crop.pngESB-crop.jpg