Gaanon's first build

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around for quite a while trying to soak in as much information as I can.  I had started a Doopy E-11 build a while back, but had to put that aside due to a lack of room to work on it.  The dust from sanding it was getting everywhere.  With a little bit of "fall cleaning" done and a man cave carved out in the garage, I've got some room to work now.  So now I'm finally ready to start my first build, and a good thing too because this past Monday I received two boxes from ATA Works.  (I'll spare you the closed and open box photos.)  I'm going for the Stunt version.  While I'm interested in going for Centurion status, it's not set in stone.  I'm really just looking forward to approval, trooping, and bringing smiles to peoples faces, the same way some of you have made my daughter's face light up with joy.  (She's really geeking out that Dad is going to join.  If it weren't for the age limit, she'd be more forceful about a costume for her.  So I'll do what I can for her next and get her in the Galactic Academy.  But that's another story for later.)

That said, let's get started.  First a pair of unboxed photos.  

12376025_10153768235204763_2414901642208

1005547_10153770769244763_68513948058548

Now, for clarification, if I understand everything right, for the bucket, the ears on the left are the stunt ears, and the ones on the right are hero (and won't be used).  I've stacked the ears on top of each other to save room.  Same with the shoulder bells, biceps, and forearms in the second pic.

My plan is to work on the bucket first.  At least putting it together.  I still need to get rivets, decals, and paints.  I'm planning to get them from Trooperbay (if you're here I hope you're open on the 28th!)  Trooperbay is local to me and that should make things easier.  I'm hoping to have the bucket done before I go back to work from the holiday break.  I don't think that's unrealistic...but then again, this is my first build, so we'll see.

Here's what I've done so far:

I've done a rough trace and cut for the eye holes.  I know I'll need to go back later and cut away a bit more from behind.  I can see that seam line in there.  But for now, I just wanted an idea of where I'll be at.

12369144_10153768238219763_1582848816270

Next is some work on the teeth.  8 holes cut.  Although the ones on the end are rather small.  It also seems like the holes on the right side (looking at the photo) are larger than the ones on the left...but it also seems like that's the way the mold was.  I remember reading that the bucket wasn't symmetrical, so for now at least, I'm going to go with it.

1916963_10153771005409763_47633370712205

OK, last bit so far I drew my proposed cut lines to frame the faceplate.  I measured about 1.25" or so above the eyes, per pandatrooper's post on the HowTo's.  For the sides, again, they weren't even.  Since I could easily see the seam on the right side, I traced that up and down for my cut line.  It measured about 3.5" from the outermost part of the eye to the line.  Then I measured the same on the left, and found a lot less to be trimmed off.  Is this normal?  Are my measurements correct?  At least for my build, I'm assuming.  Finally is the neckline.  That at least seems accurate.

12429_10153771006839763_3537844092392664

12373283_10153771006849763_1519892249764

166578_10153771006909763_133805816822277

12390972_10153771006919763_8527909625468

And there we have it!  So far so good.  I'll wait on some comments on my progress before I continue.  My goal for today is to trim the faceplate and mark the dome and back for trimming.  I want to wait on the ears until I get the rivets.  My understanding is that rivets need to be round domed.  I'll see what I can find at Harbor Freight and Home Depot.  I'll also look around the boards some more to get the correct size.

13444670943_9183fffe38_z.jpg

Hero ears have three bumps, stunts have more than three. I have an ATA helmet also and two sets of stunt ears were included. Trimming ears can be difficult. Remember that once you cut a piece off its very difficult to correct an error. That may be the reason for receiving two sets. 

hhmmm???

Well if you are looking for three bump ears to do a HERO helmet (as specified in the CRL http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero ) contact john danter here on the forums. He was offering the HERO ears. I got mine from him. 

Updates, updates, updates.  Let's see what we've got to update!

Started off with a rough markings on the ears, knowing that there would be plenty of sanding, smoothing, and trimming later on.  Here's one marked and the other done for now.

F93EBA04-D8DB-43E5-B199-6B6AB0DF2A28_zps

And both done.

9CED68A5-8CAE-48B5-84CC-F28F6F5B5F95_zps

Next is some marking on the cap and back, some trimming, and punched a hole to relieve stress.  

F78E1DBA-3014-4C6C-BB6A-9F12D992754E_zps

EA9E3C22-9032-4857-BD97-3339DC5BAFE2_zps

With that done, I know I'm getting closer to attaching the two pieces.  So I finally went ahead and cleaned off the top of the face.  I'd also cleaned out more of the eyes, so those should be about done.  Anything left on the eyes is just clean up to make the lenses fit better.

EF82BADF-9002-4DF5-A4FA-9C026DCDD7A5_zps

With that done it was time to square up the brow on the cap.  Scissors wouldn't quite get in there the way I wanted.  Hobby knife was taking too long.  And by now I'd already cut myself so I turned to the rotary tool and sanding bit for some help.  Note to self, that bit throws off some hot plastic!  Looking pretty even so far.

CDF7A884-F795-46AB-9092-45437014EDB5_zps

15209CE5-736D-4B7F-8779-E21216390E88_zps

Finally, the brow trim.  Looking good so far.  Might take another couple millimeters off it to make it look better.  I'll sleep on it and give it another look tomorrow.

7AD93945-E8DC-4566-8FCB-6E9E7D27DD94_zps

Next up...checking the fit and placement and join the two together.  Things are about to get serious!  Am I having fun?  YUP!  But that's enough for today.  

Brian, your ATA kit comes with two sets of stunt ears. They both have four bumps. Terrell knows that ears are the items people screw up the most, so he includes a second set just in case you make a mistake on your first. (Thank you, Terrell!)

Ears have completely different right and left curves. In this earlier post (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34537-gaanons-first-build/?p=449751), the ear covers on the left are for the right side of the helmet (if you are wearing it) and the set on the right is for the left side of the helmet (if you are wearing it.) yes, they look different from each other around the bump area, but remember the original ANH helmets were not symetrical.

There are a lot of tutorials on this forum that can help you with your build. Gazmosis' one on the ATA helmet has a lot of tips that can save you from little errors. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28633-howto-ata-helmet-build-hand-painted-details-pic-heavy/There are many other great ones, too.

• Like 1

Thank you Jim!  One of the many reasons I'll post pic heavy and step by step.  As you saw, I noticed the difference between the two sets of ears, just didn't see anything in previous posts that actually explained what those differences were.  I still have the other ears.  I wouldn't consider anything trash except for maybe the box some time in the future.  I'll make the correction tomorrow morning.  

Glad I could help. You will find tons of great info on these forums. 

I also noticed that you mentioned rivets. Another suggestion is to start with the provided bolts and nuts during the build and only rivet it at the very end. You can see that mentioned in Gaz's thread. This allows you to still take the helmet apart if you want to before you are finally done, which I did a couple of times. I only riveted at the end once I was completely happy with all my trimming. In the end, the rivets in the helmet are going to be completely hidden, so don't worry about what type they are--pop rivets are just fine.

Just one last suggestion, if you look at some of the centurion submissions, I think you will find you'll want to take a little more out of the teeth of the frown.

You're getting a great start! Just follow the best advice from everyone: GO SLOW. Look at the different tutorials and refer to all the great examples of builds and completed helmets here on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather out here in "Sunny Southern California" hasn't been very cooperative lately.  Haven't been able to get into my garage to get any work done.  But I did shave a bit more off the teeth.

I've also spoken with my GML, and until I can get to a garrison armor build party I'm going to put the bucket aside for now.  I should have a compression top and bottom on the way in the next few days.  I've been picking up some other odds and ends for the hardware side of things.  Once I get the compression stuff I'll start working on the arms and go from there.