Helmet Interior Mods

If this topic exists already, I apologize upfront for my inferior search function skills...<br><br>

I am looking for HOW-TOs on custom interior work for the bucket (black paint, pads, fans, etc). Is there an all encompassing historic thread that has a compilation of custom interior work from other forum members? <br><br>

I'm also curious how guys went about emplacing their lenses aside from the simple sheet screwed inside. I've seen individual eye cups cut out and somehow reinforced with screws framing the lense from the inside, also similar work has been showcased with Velcro on the eye lense as well as the teeth mesh. <br><br>

I've pinned different threads I've found off google searches, as well as religiously following a lot of UKwraiths work. <br><br>

Thanks for the help!

This is how the eye lenses stay in my helmet. Just a few small pieces of scrap abs cut to size(a small "T"), bent just a little, and CA glued around the eye. This holds the lenses in place really well and you can switch out lenses if they get too scratched or whatever you fancy. This is my first build and I got a lot of help from the GML and this is how he does this particular part. Like you said, there are many ways to do it.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 12/2/2015 at 12:44 AM, TakoTuesday said:

Here's how I installed my lenses and mouth mesh. They can be easily removed for cleaning/replacement.

Those are great ideas for your lens and mesh! I'm literally using white duct tape for the mesh and 2-part epoxy that I glued the eye lens, which was cut from the one sheet of lens. I definitely want to use your idea for both! Where did you get those 'clips' and what did you use to attach those 'clips'?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I used Trooperbay's dark green material, so I installed it using his method of using the existing helmet screws. Here's a link to the video on his website that explains the process. I really like the little ABS clips, though - wish I saw that before I finished up my bucket, though I guess it's never too late to tinker. :P

On 12/2/2015 at 12:44 AM, TakoTuesday said:

Here's how I installed my lenses and mouth mesh. They can be easily removed for cleaning/replacement.

That mesh install is really fantastic! I may have to adopt that at some point. :)

Thanks.  The "clips" are made from scrap ABS plastic trimmed from installed cover strips so they're about 20mm wide.  I'm sure you could get away with 3/4" or 1" wide pieces because the tension in the lenses will make up for any slop and still keep it securely in place. Following the advice from everyone I've spoken to in my garrison, I have made sure there are gaps between the lens and the helmet face to allow for air flow.  The lenses are cut much larger than the eye openings so the gaps are not noticeable.

Here's a pic of the gap taken from above and slightly behind. Without light illuminating the inside of the helmet this gap cannot be differentiated from the dark color lens. Once I paint the inside of the helmet black it will be practically invisible to even Chewbacca sized individuals.

zGOCawy.jpg

If anyone wants I can make a quick tutorial on how I made my retention clips.