Trimming off return edges?

Hi all - kit I bought trimmed has return edges already trimmed in. I personally like the way they look, but have been advised to trim them back as they will dig in when trooping and be unnecessarily uncomfortable. However, I know I've seen threads/comments here with folks looking to "add" this effect as desirable. Thoughts??

Yes, certain areas will need to have a return edge on them and some will need it removed, either for comfort or requirements. Ā Normally the areas that them added are ones that have had to be trimmed excessively, for example if your kidney plate was way too high, and it must have a return edge so you would need to add one back. Ā I suggest trimming them off wherever allowed for comfort. Ā For perfect examples of what is allowed, you should check out some of the EIB and Centurion applications in the Advanced Tactics section. Ā Hopefully you will be aiming for these levels of accuracy (not as difficult as you would think) and can incorporate the needed requirements into your build.

What I've observed... The bottom, non-visible areas of the armor: forearms (wrist), bicep (elbow), shins (ankles), the return edges have been removed, excluding shoulder bells. In contrast to the upper areas of each piece, a return edge is present in most cases. 5-10mm. I agree It's nice to have some edges because it gives the armor depth and thickness.

Edited by cjdesign

On ā€Ž11ā€Ž/ā€Ž16ā€Ž/ā€Ž2015 at 4:17 AM, drunken hutt said:

What exactly is a return edge?

Kieren, it is the amount of plastic that wraps around the end of a piece of armor.Ā  On the body pieces, having a return edge will give the illusion of the piece of armor being thicker than it actually is. When reaching for Centurion level, there are some specific requirements for having or removing the return edges on the arms and leg armor.

Ā 

For a quick picture, here is where I was removing all the retung edge on one of my biceps. I scored on the inside mold corner and trimmed and snapped it off.Ā  If I wanted a return, the score line would be about 5-6 mm away from that mold edge.

9LNpFjK.jpg

Ā 

For the shoulder bells, I did leave the return edge

bkidmQa.jpg

Ā 

This shows a return edge on the back plate and the top and bottom of the ab plate, but not on the sides

yaAy44k.jpg

Ā 

I hope this helps

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 1