Split Rivets and Painting

tugle

Hi all, just a couple last minute questions as I am likely finishing up my TK build:

1.  I have seen the ab/side rivets painted and believe the cod rivet and also the thigh/ammo pack.  Is this all, or are any other exposed rivets supposed to be painted white too?  I think I just answered my own question, but any confirmation would be great!

2.  Do you cover the split rivets on the inside with anything?  I ask as they seem a bit sharp, even mostly flattened out, and worry this might catch on my under armor (also anything sharp around my cod area is concerning).  Has anyone been snagged by this before, or is it a non-issue?

Sure I am leaving something out

• Like 1

They answered your paint/don't paint question, maybe this can help towards your snagging question.

For the cod rivet, if you go with elastic and snaps, the elastic will cover the cod rivet to shield it from the under armor.

I was also worried about snagging on the side rivets.  When I bent them over and hammered them down, they didn't go all the way over, or  even come close to locking in place against the armor.  I used a small socket to persuade the rivets to get them to fold over all the way.

1ctwx8O.jpg

Since I painted the rivets before installing them, I used a towel under them for protection as I hammered on them.
EmECAUg.jpg

So far, this seems to do the job. If I still have concerns of snags, I will use a piece of white duct tape over them.

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 1

Mine are exposed.  All of them.  I've been trooping like that for almost a year and a half, and have never had any snags. 

This doesn't mean that you'd have the same experience though, as it all depends on how tightly your armor fits you.  Duct tape or sticky-backed Velcro will work just fine to protect the area though, if you feel that you need to do so.

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your build.  Exciting times for sure!!