Comfys ATA ANH Stunt - First Build!

Not as much work today as i'd like, freezing down in the basement as the roommate doesn't want me building in the living room which makes since because i'm using the dremel more then i should.

First off i replaced the black shoulder straps with white, and added the shoulder straps in making my "shirt"

20151121_1458311_zpszf5esjly.jpg

right after that i attached some black elastic to the shoulders, one thing that always bugged me about some stormtroopers was the shoulders flying everywhere so i hope to stop that.

20151121_1509571_zps5xz7fwhf.jpg

Attached the stomach buttons, might come back and repaint these later

20151121_1544411_zpszjmxmuth.jpg

After the shirt area and some butt/kidney parts i ran out of snaps, i plan to head out and catch some at a late night store after posting this. i tried to start on the belt but only got as far as removing the extra plastic and cut the corners. honestly the belt is my last big scare on this build since i don't think i have anything that can cut a hole safely in the canvas, and i dont have a great experience with rivets so far

20151121_1720541_zps1vugj6cw.jpg

more of a report then progress the shins came out alright, i still need to redo the left one for centurion as there is still some overlap

20151121_1517491_zpsiqtymmzb.jpg

Advise/Criticism always welcome, especially on the belt this time. 

Hi Adam,<br>

Looking good. From the photo it looks like the top of your shins overlap still? They should just butt together.<br>

For making a hole in the canvas belt I used the hole punch that came with my snaps and it worked well, maybe a leather punch or something similar?<br>

With the plastic part of the belt, make sure your ends are the same size, I know there is a diagram somewhere on FISD with measurements, I just can't find it at the moment, hopefully someone else can link to it.<br>

Also, the 45 degree cuts should line up with the edge of your canvas belt.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Scott

Inside 45 corner is to be 3", cloth belt width.

belt.jpg

As Scott mentioned the calves can have no over lap connection at Centrurion. It has to be but and strip as shown below.

IMG_3406.jpg

Minor update today, i had some kind of fever kick in last night, i think it broke but i still didn't want to be in the cold basement to long today

I ran out of Snaps...again, but was able to finish the back side snaps, only have enough female snaps to make the elastic for the kidney/stomach, so i'll need more for the back to kidney and various spots

20151122_1103411_zps7dlftqtu.jpg

After that i decided to try on the thighs and shins again after the trim. much more maneuverability, though still not enough to do much more then walk and have a 70-ish degree angle bend, though i assume thats normal?

I'm tempted to shorten the shins a inch to see if that will help.

definitely need to find a way to hold them up, i've seen belt systems so i might try and make one, since i'm to short on funds to buy one

20151122_1202081_zpscnbkfaib.jpg

Who needs Arms with Legs like these? -Mettaton

Edited by Comfy Turtle

Haha, I kept running out of snaps as well.<br>

That sounds like about the same range of movement I have as well.<br>

With holding the thighs up, either a belt system like you said, just a couple of loops around a belt. Other option is a couple of snaps glued in the ab plate with straps holding them up to that.

Echo has a thread selling them:<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/page-1?hl=echo%27' class="bbc_url" title="">http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/page-1?hl=echo'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/page-1?hl=echo</a><br><br></a><br>

Otherwise hardware stores should stock them, they may also call them bifurcated rivets.<br><br>

Edit: or Trooperbay sells some.

Edited by Scotty33

picked up two more packs that says 8 each, its its really 4 male and 4 female i'll be sad but it might be enough, biggest issue is i cant find split rivets anywhere except on amazon, thats selling them for $16 for a unknown amount of them

Just make sure you buy good snaps, junk ones may leave you stranded on a troop. Looking good Adam  :duim:

Echo sells split rivets as does trooperbay. I messed my first set up and tried my hardest to source them locally but no luck. Don't even bother going to Lowes because they will just look at you funny when you ask for them. 

Some how i managed to spend 5 hours working on my armor yet feel i didnt get 5 hours worth of stuff done, alot of trail and error. and damn snaps today

Here is my completed front side, minus that missing snap on the bottom right i'll replace tomorrow.

20151123_2035051_zpsvhq3a0i7.jpg

Heres my back, i remembered to put the male snaps on the butt, i probly will use one of them to close the gap between the crotch, i also did the 22mm square cuts on the side, i didnt have a metric ruler but i was told 22mm is 2.2 centimeter so i think its close.

20151123_2035521_zpst2jx2jjv.jpg

The biggest time waster of the night was the belt i started, i drilled the holes but one of the snaps didnt go in all the way and the middle one was the first i had to do manually since my puncher wouldn't reach, i swear i spent 30mins trying to pull one base snap out because it was to short to hold the other half but was stuck in good.

20151123_2033491_zpssjxnx9vz.jpg

i think the side snaps are farther then they are meant to be but i'm hoping i can just move the cover plastic over a little and call it good.

and i dont have a picture but another thing i spent time on was trying to make some elastic to hold the thighs on a spare belt i have. kinda crap right now but i some E6000 drying on some velcro to make it stronger.

Shout out to russellr2d2's thread for saving me some positioning issues on the belt

Airborne: i tryed checking his site but it says its down for me, i'll try again later.

Edited by Comfy Turtle

I may be wrong but it appears you may not have done your "Han snap" yet. Sorry I can't post pictures from my iPad, it's the male snap on the upper right corner of the ab plate. <br><br>

From CRL <br>

"A single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate is present".<br><br>

Your build is coming along nicely.

Ah your right, honestly i keep forgetting about every single thing required for Centurion, i'll do that tomorrow. also didnt know about the front cod rivet and the white elastic for the shoulder straps. i'll do the rivets whenver i get some, trooperbay is still down for me. and for the strings thinest while elastic i have on hand is 1inch, most seem to be 1/4th or 1/8th i guess.

Another busy day as i made some adjustments and made some progress and a mistake.

I attached the cover squares over the snaps and attached the holster according to the picture used for centurion. let me know if its right.

Front

20151124_1838251_zpslajjl7oe.jpg

I figured my build is relying to much on E6000 so i riveted the drop boxes and used velcro strips to attach them to the belt, i know the Centurion requirement is to have minimal gap between them so its adjustable

Back

20151124_1839291_zps3hy6xxi1.jpg

so the big issue so far is i put the male snap on the right side abdomen but i forget there was a miscut i did earlier when i trimmed it down for my size. i'm hoping if i can ever make that goop stuff i can fix it. but i dont know exactly how to make it, my trial jar the plastic got soft and mushy but not really a paste to use.

20151124_1852011_zpsseuaurre.jpg

Its just not a armor day for me if i dont try on what i have done at the end. i think i'm getting close. I'm still waiting on the gloves and hand plates from Sonnenschein, she said they'll be here soon. think the only thing besides that is the TD which i have the clips on order from Evilboy, i'll try and head to Lowes tomorrow and hope to get a pipe.

no close up pictures but i also trimmed another inch off the top of my thighs since it kept hitting the cod piece. i still dont have anything holding the thighs up right now so hopfully it will be better once i do. since the right thigh seems to keep sucking in the shin and locking my leg in place.

20151124_2027171_zpsjgaj4gwe.jpg

20151124_2027251_zpsqr05lox9.jpg

Definitively going to put "add snaps to attach the belt to the armor" to my improvement list  as after adding the holster the belt keeps sliding on me.

Please let me know what you think and any ways to improve myself.

Looking good, definitely agree with the snaps to hold your belt up.<br>

Once you put something in to hold your thighs up you shouldn't have any problems with walking.<br>

I think the OD of the pipe I got was about 60mm, I had to bevel the ends a bit to get the caps on.

A busy day and yet not many pictures 

i decided to add the snaps to the abdomen based off a picture i saw from Wingnut65s thread.

20151125_1631151_zpstsfshixi.jpg

From the belt side

20151125_1631391_zps8qwy97hq.jpg

much more secure, though in one of the tests the right side snap unsnaped. i might try and seal it better, though i dont know how. maybe E6000.

I also went down to Lowes to get the pipe for the TD, sadly they had no free scraps so i had to buy a ten foot pipe to only use 7.5 inches. atleast i have backups right?

I plan to replace my phone before the year ends due to pictures like this. but i checked to see if it hit the 7.5 

20151125_1553541_zpskcyga8ei.jpg

i hope the gaps between the center and caps are ok enough to pass EIB

Other things done today but dont have pictures are i worked on the straps to hold the thighs a little, need to raise them up but find a balance because wearing them is one thing, wearing them with the abdomen and kidney/butt is another.

I hated that i had to do it but since i'm only 5'4 i trimmed my Shins down by a inch, but i can tell that if i can get the thighs the way i like them now i can actually see black between all that white.

Last i bought some Acetone while i was at lowes and working on some more Goop, i think this batch will work better since it was already white before i left the room.

With the Thermal done technically i'm done building, i have the clips ordered from Evilboy so between that and the gloves i'm just going to spend from now til Yamacon working on mobility and painting the inside of my helmet black. scary since it came fully built, so i really dont want the paint to leak on into the front :blink:  I feel i'm almost there.

Looking good Adam!<br>

Just check what height your belt will be, the top of it should be touching the bottom of the ab plate control panel buttons. It looks like it might be a bit low? You might need to put the snaps at the bottom of the canvas belt to lift it up a bit.

I think it does Scott i'll double check tomorrow and if they do need to be redone i'll have to get more snaps as i'm out again.

going through some EIB threads i notice i probly wont pass with this TD and i forgot i used pop rivets thoughout my build. so thats a setback, anyone know how to remove rivets? the ones in the thighs are stuck good and i know they'll need to be replaced.

i dont even know how i can trim down the TD caps now, i didnt even use E6000 its just a tight fit

Edited by Comfy Turtle