bucket painting saftey concerns

So ive read from people that painting the inside keeps light from getting in and makes trooping an over all better experience. But I also read the recent post from the guy on here who got super sick and almost died from breating in e6000 fumes...<br>

I went to home depot and asked the person who works at the paint desk and mixes paints if there was any black non-toxic paint that I could use on plastic for a full face helmet.. he looked at me gravely and said no you do not want to do that. Any paint is going to be bad for you to breathing in the particles and might even pose a cancer risk down the road...<br>

Now that sort of shocked me coming from a paint expert..<br>

So I went to the craft shop and picked up a few more supplies for my armor and saw the normal testors paint etc. That we use. And also childrens non-toxic paint.<br>

I went and found an employee who was very knowledgeable and asked her the same question.<br>

She proceeded to give me the same grave look. She said that even the non-toxic paint would be a bad idea to breath in and probably wont stick to plastic very well..<br>

She recommended maby I use like a felt/cloth/dark leather and glue it in because some glues wont leave behind particles like paint and would probably be a better idea...<br>

Reguardless I proceeded to buy the childrens non-toxic paint with the rest of my supplys. <br><br>

I guess what I want to know is who is knowledgeable in this field. And what do you recommend I do. I want my helmet to look great but after seeing like 4 people I know in the last year and a half get cancer and being around them. my health awareness I guess you could say has become elevated.

Honestly? I'm sure if you paint it and let it dry and air out until you can no longer smell it you'll be fine. I haven't painted the inside of mine just because I don't want it black. But I really don't think once it's fully cured and aired out will hurt anything. I'll put it this way: I climb into and perform maintenance on aircraft fuel tanks for a living. Once they are totally depuddled and air purged completely we no longer need to wear a respirator. If those fuel tanks are safe once they are dry I think a helmet will be. :)

Actually, yes in a manner of speaking as they are quite small. <br><br>

That wasn't meant to be an apples to apples comparison. I still don't think it would be an issue once it's dried. Once it's dry, fumes should not longer be an issue.

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of paint inside your bucket..  I would go with the Plasti-Dip, as most others, (including myself) have.  As long as you let it dry for a day or so, there will be no fumes.  As for the E-6000, the only part of the bucket you should be using that for is to glue the ear bars onto the ear piece, which is sealed.  

The amount of Testors paint used on a bucket will honestly be of no consequence after it dries thoroughly, and it is on the outside...  As for the person that told you "All paint is going to be bad for you...."  should re-think their line of work.  They sell... PAINT.  Interior paint.  As used on the walls, doors, ceilings, etc. inside your home, and you breathe them all the time.

People (especially model enthusiasts) have been using Testors for years, and as long as you don't "abuse" it, you should be fine.

Many brands of paints used in homes, like Sherwin Williams, have a "low VOC" (volatile organic compounds) line, which seriously cuts down on fumes/molecular emissions.

• Like 2

Curing is the critical piece. If the paint is cured the toxins are essentially gone. Yes, the paint itself is toxic, but the amounts of cured paint you would have to ingest to have issues is significant; as in doing it purposely. Once the paint is dry to the touch take a fan and point it towards the bucket to promote airflow. Leave it running for a few hours, then tilt the bucket opening on a 45-75 degree angle and let sit for several days in a well ventilates area. Take a sniff, if you smell the paint, continue letting it cure. If there is no smell, you should be fine.

Edited by Khazid
  • Like 2