RomFX vs Icomm, voice distort

This is romdx vs icomm thread # 2531

So I'm close to getting one of these. I'm in contact with John M. of Romfx, and can put myself on the current interest list.

Most of my garrison are using Icomm, but lately I haven't trooped when it have been in use..  so I forgot my first impression.

Icomm looks quite good to me. It's easy to use... but the RomFX doesn't look that hard either.

Size doesn't matter since the romfx either way would be boxed for extra protection.

* Both has eight burst and click sounds.

So the dealbreaker to me would be voice distortion. Does both do this? And to which level?

* Also, will the RomFX work with AKER MR?

* And lastly, the RomFX will need extra room for external batteries?

You trooped on Saturday when I used my iComm! 

Most of my garrison are using Icomm, but lately I haven't trooped when it have been in use..  so I forgot my first impression.

Also, yes (you don't want too much anyway), yes (but it comes with a speaker anyway, right?) and yes (quote: Due to no longer being able to ship batteries, the Classic now comes with the 12 volt setup, which consists of the 3-Way Snap Lead and 2 x 4 AA Battery Boxes)

Can't hear with that lid on! :D

I feel like Icomm is selling their dustortion bit a bit short. Not that it has to be too much of it, but somewhere in between.
The raw RomFx is w/o speaker and mic.

Edited by Ryth_

Rom/FX is simply better. Icomm is cheaper yes, but it's relying on a speaker that has built in-non-replaceable batteries. Rom/FX is also more customizable to how you want the distortion to sound.

Without having used an iComm/Akers amplifier setup, I can't say which is better, but my research led me to choose the Rom/FX. It doesn't require any external amplification, or additional hardware to produce any of its features. Everything is on one board, with a 9v battery not too far off. I have the option of using my audio systems with everything contained in my helmet, because the Rom/FX fits in the helmet with my EAS and fans. If I want no wires in my neck, and we are attending a quieter event, I use my hovi tip speakers, otherwise, I use the chest plate speaker with the one wire run into my neck seal. The Rom/FX is a very, very good choice.

Owning both I much prefer my RomFX over my ICOMM. I like the compact and adjustable/customization nature of the RomFX I also find the VOX to actually be usable. ICOMM is bulkier and in my case I must use the PTT which requires yet another set of wires.

However if budget is an issue the ICOMM is still a viable option regardless of its shortcomings.

I have the iComm and find that the static burst sounds overpower your voice and is really loud. Unfortunately the volume isn't adjustable like the RomFX is.

Email Jim about newer icomm firmware. They reduced the static burst volume quite a bit not too long ago.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically, go for the romfx if you feel like spending the money, it's better. But you'll be happy with the iComm as well...

Nuff said.