Newimage58 helmets

I'm sorry to post a negative review of the work presented via your link.

Ā 

Our best suggestion is to simply follow the suggested vendors via our Getting Started section.

Ā 

Fibreglass or rotocast plastic construction methods were not used in the original film, and the construction method is very important when considering

an accurate representation of the originals used in the film.

Ā 

Here on the FISD we are proud to present the vendors on our vetted list of suppliers.

Hi Major Tom,

Ā 

I'm in the same boat as you and have asked the same questions before, in fact I've just been in touch with a member on here who actually has one of newimage58's helmets who was very impressed by them. I think I might get one as the price is good, he's in the UK and I haven't the time or the skill to put together one of my own! From what I gather there's doubt as to whether he is known as a 're-caster', ie stealing someone's sculpt and passing it off as his own - although judging by his work in progress photos he seems to sculpt everything from scratch... Until I take the plunge and order one then I can't comment on his service but once I do I'll be sure to post a complete review to clear this up for others who are considering buying one.

Ā 

Hope that helps

G

Hi Major Tom,

Ā 

I'm in the same boat as you and have asked the same questions before, in fact I've just been in touch with a member on here who actually has one of newimage58's helmets who was very impressed by them. I think I might get one as the price is good, he's in the UK and I haven't the time or the skill to put together one of my own! From what I gather there's doubt as to whether he is known as a 're-caster', ie stealing someone's sculpt and passing it off as his own - although judging by his work in progress photos he seems to sculpt everything from scratch... Until I take the plunge and order one then I can't comment on his service but once I do I'll be sure to post a complete review to clear this up for others who are considering buying one.

Ā 

Hope that helps

G

Notice how there mysteriously are no sculpting pictures of the TK helmet. ;)

That's true... I don't know too much about recasting but I can sense it's a dark area on this forum and I can see the reasons why. There's an interesting discussion around elsewhere on here whether anyone other than Lucasfilm actually own the right to produce storm trooper helmets but I can understand why people take offence at recasting. Helmets seem to be so hard to come by especially at a decent price and without waiting months for someone to make one so sellers like this do seem like an attractive alternative if the product and service are good.

That's true... I don't know too much about recasting but I can sense it's a dark area on this forum and I can see the reasons why. There's an interesting discussion around elsewhere on here whether anyone other than Lucasfilm actually own the right to produce storm trooper helmets but I can understand why people take offence at recasting. Helmets seem to be so hard to come by especially at a decent price and without waiting months for someone to make one so sellers like this do seem like an attractive alternative if the product and service are good.

The few people who have bought original helmets at auction for close to a hundred thousand dollars or so, just to be able to produce a product for us poor people kind of deserve to get their money's worth without someone copying theirs 6 months later. Recasting is hurting everyone as it makes the incentive of those with original helmets much less willing to potentially damage their prized possessions for our sake, and we end up stuck with worse products available than what could have been.

Maybe you don't agree with the monetary aspect. But argument #2 still holds water no matter how you put it.

Ā 

Regardless of how you feel about it, those who did pay for screen used with hopes of making some money back might not appreciate getting recast. And at the end of the day, we're all still dependent on them as our source of casts from original stuff.

You're confusing legion business with private matters. ;)

Ā 

The 501st Legion is prohibited from turning a profit through our troops. That agreement does not extend to non-members working on their own.

Well, then itĀ“s not even covered by any agreement - so they are not better related to the rightsowner than a recaster is related to them.Ā  :D

Ā 

I see no problem if they donĀ“t make the expected/hoped profit, for me they are not better than the recaster. Just a different kind of the same old greed.

--------------

So as a newbie looking to join the 501st, any BS aside, are either the hero or stunt versions from this guy suitable (assuming suitable rest of the armor build)? Be cool to have helmet on display as "motivation". Or are there legit concerns that can't be fixed for 501 approval? Not looking for high end approval, will be initially looking to just get foot in the door.<br>

Thoughts?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021