TM Stunt Helmet - Teeth Cutting

Hi there,

I'm on my first attempt at a helmet assembly, a TM kit from Paul that I'm really pleased with... and I'm making steady progress

I've checked so many photos on this site and others and I'm still a bit nervous about how close to get to the roof and bottom of the frown when cutting out the teeth.  I've included a photo of where I am so far.  

Q: I've left a a small lip before I get to the top and bottom of the frown, which you can see clearer on the two front teeth in the photo. Do I stop here or should I file closer?

I think when looking at photos of a finished helmet my eye is being taken by the very thin top and bottom unpainted white on each tooth, so just looking for some clarity.  

By the way, if you have some other pointers on the work so far, please let me know. I know I need to tidy it up a bit on the cuts, although at hand distance it looks pretty clean.

post-24880-0-53517100-1442289792_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Paul

You still have some excess left. Trimming should extend all the way up to the bottom. So you should remove those two small lips you have left.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

You could either extend the rectangles you have, or round off the rectangles into long ellipses/ovals to reach the same height. Slightly different look, both are acceptable.

Indeed, but one is correct, the other is wrong. I let you find which is which by having a look at the picture i posted above and this one.

12340716075_afe7a728f2_z.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

You could either extend the rectangles you have, or round off the rectangles into long ellipses/ovals to reach the same height. Slightly different look, both are acceptable. Just don't take too much off :)

He could, but that would be wrong. Oval teeth is only a consequense of many years of softened up helmet moulds and people building kits without looking enough at reference pictures.

Those two examples seem to have different executions, to me. The painted (Dave M?) appears to have round cutouts on the two smallest holes, where the RS clearly has them all squared. Many seem to be a combo of round and squared (maybe due to comparing low-res images vs hi-res). Lesson learned!