AM 2.0 Build...and so it begins

MTOR

post-24575-0-57982100-1441584533_thumb.jpgpost-24575-0-49201800-1441584562_thumb.jpgpost-24575-0-20500400-1441584589_thumb.jpg Where to start? I am thinking of starting with the forearms, biceps, calves then thighs. Thank you to all those who have posted all your builds for those of us like me who have No clue where to start. Any suggestions and comments are more than welcome.
  • Like 1

One piece a a time and research every piece as you make it. Don't get carried away if you research to much you may forget. Befriend a centurion to ask questions directly on occasion without abusing the privilege. Start with the arms and don't make them to form fitting you pretty much want to trim everything evenly.

• Like 1

I used the ABS glue that came with the kit, because I have zero patience.  Measure, measure again, cut.  Tape it, make sure it fits, make sure it fits again, then glue.

Nothing against CA glue but I'd suggest E6000 glue. It's strong but you can take pieces apart easier to make any adjustments. CA glue is pretty much permanent and not forgiving. Start with what you feel comfortable with. I started with the helmet then worked from the shins on up.

I would also second E6000.  I had never done anything like this and E6000 gives you some wiggle-room should you make a mistake.  CA glue does cure faster, but it is much, much more difficult to fix should you need to fix something.  

I've been pushing hard to be done for Salt Lake Comic Con at the end of the month.  I think it is going well but I am going to slow down to not make any potential mistakes.  Like has been said, take your time, research, research, research.

Here are two guides to get you started:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32531-navajo-bros-am-20-stunt-build/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-ata-bucket-build/

I would suggest a few things, if I may, Christopher...  Since this is your first build, I would follow Steve and Kirk's suggestion of (pardon the pun) sticking with the E-6000.  Second, take your time... as the old saying goes, "measure twice, cut once".  Also, have a look at the Trooperbay videos http://trooperbay.com/assemble-accurate-stromtrooper-armor/.  Very informative.

Lastly, you should start a build thread, where you can post all your questions in one place, along with photos....   lots of photos. It will keep you more organized, giving you an easier reference, and vastly increase the amount of answers rather than posting them one at a time.  

Definitely measure twice research again and cut once. I don't think any of us had any experience doing anything like this before out first suit. But as many of us found this after other hobbies if you have any experience building models , particularly resin type you probably have all the experience you could ever gain in using CA super glue. Thus I knew how the glue would act and was able to anticipate and quickly clean up. That's not saying I didn't get my finger stuck. But I found gluing the cover strips very easy using CA glue and holding them for 10 seconds and being able to move on rather than leaving everything clamped overnight. And the pieces I did use E6000 were incredibly frustrating. But everyone is different. There are only two options. If you watch the trooperbay videos and think "I can do that" you probably can. If you genuinely fear gluing your hand to your forehead (JK)  E6000 is where you should stay. But get a lot more clamps. 

I never thought I could both dread AND be so excited about building anything until I saw so many boxes of armor getting opened up and posted. It looks so daunting. Still, I can't wait for my box of goodies gets here. I'm waiting for my AM 2.0 to arrive. Should be a week or so. Good luck, bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do decide to go with the CA (super) glue, I would go for the gel type so it doesn't run, and purchase some Zip Kicker accelerator, which dries it immediately when you spray it on..  One of the problems with regular CA glue is that if it drips or runs, removing them is a long, laborious process. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. I should have said that. Definitly only use thicker less runny CA glue. Hobbytown or hobby lobby or any hobby shop should have a wide selection to help choose. In no way get the 4 for $1 black tubes from walmart. Which are awesome for modeling by the way. But I won't hyjack your thread about glue anymore.

One research tip. When it comes to strapping don't buy anything until you have a plan or you will buy to much. I was a dolt and bought anything anyone mentioned and now I have a pile of worthless straps and such. Every tutorial/thread you read will use different techniques/strapping sizes. But the best resource the community has come up with is the strapping list in the replica section.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26477-what-we-know-about-strapping-snaps-rivets-etc/

Sure you may not be going 100% replica but there is no reason not to use the canon strap sizes. some people use 3/4" elastic. But guess what that's not used in there. So don't go out and preemptively buy a lot of 3/4". On that same note decide if you want to do snaps on the body or make wire brackets. Before you spend a day finding the right size piano wire only to decide you don't want to use that. But you still might as well use 2" black elastic there since it is canon, adds a little durability, and ultimately cost 50 cents more than going a cheaper route. Don't buy a 20 ft role of white velcro to do 4' worth of shins if you might decide to do the bra hooks. I think you get the point. Just do your research first but make sure what you are referencing is the most current. There are a lot of good tutorials in this forum that while still active are terribly obsolete and will lead you down a rabbit hole away from centurion if that is a goal.

Welcome to the shiny White armor. I built an AM 2.0 as my first build. I opened and closed the big brown box for 3 weeks before I made my first cut. The first cut is the hardest and once you do it, you will see that you can build your armor and there is no need to worry. Listen to what others have said about research. Everything you need is here on the boards. I started, like others with the biceps, the forearms. They seem to be the easiest. Good luck and I'm looking forward to watching this build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fits great thus far.  The chest and back piece feel a little small, but I think that it fits pretty good.  I am finishing up my thigh and shin armor pieces this week.  The struggle is with the forearm and biceps armor pieces because there is no return edge to reference for trimming so measurement is tough at this point.