Real mag in resin receiver

Just got two magazines from 44mag.com on sale, big thanks to whomever's post in which I read about the sale. I'm planning to stick it in a resin receiver so I'm worried about the metal boring the plastic out. Anyone encountered or circumvented this before? I was thinking some thin metal plates on the inside of the receiver, but maybe I could coat the mag tip with rubber.

Hi Scott, your plan is possible, but not very practical.  A real mag fits in my resin magwell, but the magwell walls are EXTREMELY THIN (you can easily see light through them).  You may have seen several troopers posting about hollowing out a DD magwell to fit a 'gazmosis' resin magazine...  A couple of those posts also show magwell repairs where the dremel slipped and broke through the wall.  With the magwell walls already thin, there's just no support for a real magazine and certainly no room for metal backing plates.  Also, as mentioned, you'll either need to cut off the business end of the magazine or cut a hole in the receiver.  The first option removes one of the only benefits to doing this - being able to see the feed rollers inside the chamber when the bolt is pulled back.  The second option makes the magwell to receiver connection extremely weak.  A real magazine doesn't weigh a whole lot, but it definitely weighs more than a resin magazine, especially with the feed roller assembly installed, which is mostly heavy gauge steel.

I think installing a real magazine would be OK for a static display blaster.  Anything beyond that and you're asking for failure.  Either the magwell walls will break or the entire magwell will detach from the receiver under the weight of the magazine.

'Gazmosis' resin magazines are EXACT copies of a real magazine and some of the highest quality resin parts I've ever seen (no pinholes, warping, seam lines, etc).  Painted properly, you can't tell the difference between his resin magazines and real magazines unless you get up really close and inspect it.

I get it.  I'd much rather have the 'real' thing and the feel of steel, but in this case, the cons far outweigh the pros.

IMHO, your best alternative is to get a resin copy of a magazine from Steve.

For what it's worth,

Aaron

I can appreciate that (cracked mine fitting my Gaz mag), but my heart tells me I should try this since it looks like it's been de-welded as opposed to cut up (might be wishful thinking):

------------

THAT'd hold a real clip! 😎

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

The Apex parts in your link are torch cut, guaranteed.

The magwell and trigger frame are separate parts, so if they were de-welded/de-brazed, you would see multiple parts.

I've ordered multiple kits from Apex and can tell you the condition of the parts you actually receive is a gamble.

I also know someone who CALLED Apex and SPECIFICALLY requested the BEST quality parts...

What they received was lower quality than a kit I randomly ordered.  Total crapshoot - you get whatever they grab out of the bin. 

The part you are considering is about a pound of metal (maybe slightly more).

If you go this route, the trick will be securely grafting your receiver tube into the mix and it will be heavy.

Since you've already got a Gaz mag, maybe contact DD or Phoenix Props for a replacement resin magwell?

For help with shaving down the magwell walls, check my carbon fiber build.

The following link goes directly to the magwell post:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29140-carbon-fiber-e-11-build/?p=372301

This method results in consistent wall thicknesses.  Just BE CAREFUL, rotozip bits are designed to quickly remove material, including flesh.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...