Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp

Going to give this a try, Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2217

I have the one with 16 MB on order but I don't think that much memory will be need the 2 MB version should be OK.

Here's what I like about it.

1. Built in AMP
  2. NO coding, just upload the sound files via USB
  3. Holds up to 11 sound files
  4. Sounds can be activated by simply taking a numbered pin to ground.
  5. Arduino not required, but can be controlled by an Arduino if you desire.
  6. Small

This should be able to build a simple stand alone blaster sound system. Later if you want to add lights you can add the Arduino.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this!!!

I have the same Adafruit board, plus the LiPo backback to allow charging without disassembly.

All the components went into my armor tote about 6 months ago when other stuff took priority.

Never had the chance to get back to it, but I'm really curious about the sound quality and volume!

Going to order one of these soon as well. Really interested in knowing how to add the lights with the ardunio. Looking forward to seeing more posted on this.

I'll be ordering the 2MB one once my house move is over.  I tried the Chinese stuff and it just was more hassle that it was worth and even then it didn't work.  The only cheap nasty parts in my build and those where the bits that didn't work, go figure.  

PS if you want a decent and bright RGB LED look at the neo pixels.  I got 5 for £5.50 ($8-9ish) and will probably only need 1 in the build, maybe 2.  Big plus is they are small easy to fit with out those silly drivers, and also you can chain them if you want to.

I received the SFX board and whaaa whaaa didn't work. So a quick post to Adafruit and new one was on the way. So test one complete, Adafruit customer service gets 5 stars.

Received the new card plugged it into my computer and it showed up as a USB drive. Looked at the online manual, added some sound files. Named them so they would sequence off pin 5 (picked 5 at random). 

1. Full
  2. Blaster
  3. Blaster
  4. Blaster
  5. Blaster
  6. Blaster
  7. Blaster
  8. Blaster
  9. Blaster
  10. Empty

Pin 1 had a single sound file for stun.

Unplugged the card from the computer, connected the speakers (soldering required), plugged in a USB phone charging battery pack, and started tapping the pins 1 and 5 with a jumper wire. Worked great! It is taking longer to type this post than it did to get the card up and running. Pulling the trigger will sequence through the 10 files called by pin 5 (one per trigger pull) and the stun would be called by a separate button connected to pin 1. Volume of the card is good when supplied with 5V and 4 ohm speakers. 

If you want a simple sound card for you're blaster, I think this is a good way to go. A correction to my first post, the card will hold more then 11 sound files. It has 11 separate pins that can be used to call sound files. As you can see in the example above I have ten sound files on pin 5 alone.

I'll post up some pictures over the week end.

Edited by SteveD

I find the volume right at the acceptable level. My wife assures me that it's "quite loud enough" from the other room. (pew pew pew... pew pew is getting old for her)

Since this post was to show what is available "out of the box" with minimal electronic work I find the Adafruit audio FX sound board 2x2w Audio FX sound board acceptable.

The nice part about this board is that you can build on it and not scrap it as your needs / electronic skills improve. You can add arduino control or a larger Amp later if you want.

You can buy the board without the on board amp in the 2mb and 16 mb versions and add a more powerful amp yourself if you're up to it. 

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2342

https://www.adafruit.com/products/987

------------

Photo 1, speakers and SFX board

Photo 2 & 3, show speaker in 1 1/4 PVC blaster tube

Photo 4, SFX board powered from standard phone charging battery pack.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 1 month later...

Hello. Nice mod! I'm using the same board for three different projects: a lightsaber, a blaster and a helmet voice kit. Until now, I am only working on the voice changer for my TK helmet, using a LiPo battery, a USB to LiPo charger adapter and some Bluetooth smartphone amps.<br><br>

I am very interested by your projects and will post some pics soon, hoping they could help. Keep in touch