DoopyDoo's + deac. parts = Scott's build

charlesnarles

My medium brown box came after only 2 weeks. Not bad at all! The box cracked me up, being British and all, I couldn't help but think of Flying Circus...

nxwYbvU.jpg

It's! Doopydoo's full ANH kit! (dadaduda dada da, doo dah dee)...

I got my hands all dusty tonight but I'll wash them and post some pics. Everything looks greatly improved since even last year, except for the magazine... but that's why Steve is a boss. More to come, and soon!

• Like 1

Now I can't find it, but thanks to whomever directed me to none other than Gazmosis' doopy thread for instructions on the removal of the stock hinge. He sure made it seem easy; took me almost an hour of prying and twisting to get one side off... then another while for the other side, but its finally off of there after how many decades... Whew!:

REh6rl9.jpg

Ā 

Also noticed they dont give you a bolt or even a cocking handle = excuse to get some PhoenixProps upgrades ;)

• 5 weeks later...

My plan is to find a small metal pipe to fit the stock hinges onto. Should work just fine.

Ā 

And it did indeed come with a charging handle, it had fallen out of the bag in transit. They explained how sealed ziplock baggies trap air so pieces have room to fly around and break. Nothing came broken so I guess it works.

Ā 

Today I washed and painted my bolt and scope... It wasn't pretty. The antique brass paint did a big raspberry, spewing trapped propellant inside glittery paint bubbles and leaving the least even coat I've ever done. It was literally dripping in areas and bare in others, so I washed as much off as I could with water. Here's what I ended up with:

hAICLLG.jpg

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but maybe I can sand or strip it and try again (I do have 6 of the darned cans). Notice the fingerprints and general globbiness. The lettering looks pretty good under a more lightly coated area tho:

GgXZMDf.jpg

Hopefully it's still salvageable, and they're cheap if not Ć°ÅøĖœā€¦

Ā 

The bolt was easier, apart from the can not wanting to spray its aged steel paint at first. It was a lot less spitty and I did a super light coat. I like the darker silver color and less glittery appearance than the brass. Again, the lettering shows up, along with all the details. Looks pretty good in comparison lol:

La2jivg.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

No, it's a 2014 DVH Ć°ÅøĖœā€° sorry to get your hopes up

Ā 

After seeing Allan1313 fit Disney guts into a PP bolt, I remembered that T-Jay's kit comes with a Doopydoo's recess-sized "bolt" which might just be the perfect size for the Dsny board

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 2

Sanded the scope with a fine sanding sponge (great for sanding curves):

Ā 

Gave it another coat of brass, much lighter and better this time thanks to the finicky sprayer nozzle's benevolence that morning. What's left of the first coat is dark compared to the second, so the combo makes for a two-tone camo effect that I kind of enjoy. I think one more coat of brass and then flat black:

zgoamGZ.jpg

Ā 

The lighting relative to your perspective has a lot to do with whether you'll see sparkly glitter or darker brownish:

Uefy2HN.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's all my steel parts for either this Doopy or a full-steel build if I can figure out the legalities. Anyways, I'm pretty happy with what I received except for a large vertical crack in the resin handle's aft causing some rattle (I wonder how old that masking tape and cardboard tag are). The stock doesn't want to open, but everything came really dirty/greasy so hopefully its just being stubborn and isn't bent. Aaron's real pre-cut mag looks GREAT in its new home (you can even see the resin rounds peeking out, so cool!) And Michael's M38 eyepiece will really make the scope look real:

REh6rl9.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

9cHAKCZ.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I was buying plastidip spray and thought of using it on the doopy resin t-tracks to give them a more accurate texture than just paint can offer. Idk about durability first-hand, but it's supposed to be tough enough for truck beds etc. so it should be fine. I'm also not sure just how much of the metal I'll be able to use, but I want to use everything I have. Still deciding between a) debrazing the parts kit and B) boring room for the whole cut parts in the doopy tube. So many WIPs!