Boot strip&dye log - learning w/ Scott

My experience with dying boots so far hasn't included deglazing/stripping or anything but black dye, so I'll share what I do experience in case it helps anyone with theirs. I got Roamers brand "Jodhpurs" (elastic instead of buckle, so technically Chelseas) in size 12. I found them on this thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28920-which-one-is-the-right-boot/

Based on other threads, I'll be sure to use a lot of deglazer (maybe all of it), I'll take care to fully seal the painters tape covering the sole, I'll do many thin-er (not "thinner"😉) layers of white, and I'll be sure to carefully (safely) cut the painters tape around the sole to prevent peel-ups.

More to come later once I open the box. I *think* it's a shoebox lol

Edited by charlesnarles

Oh good, I got that kind of paint but forgot to get sealer! Thanks for reminding me, saved me a tripðŸ‘

Here's my supply rundown:

-Roamers Jodhpurs size 12

-Tandy Leather Fiebings Deglazer

-Angelus acrylic leather paint in white

-Tulip dimensional fabric paint in white

-Mod Podge clear acrylic sealer in matte

-Frog tape (because I already had it. We'll see how the frog treats me)

-foam brushes

-rags (no lint!)

-razor for final tape removal

The boots fit me snugly, but I have high arches so I prefer looser shoes. They'll only get more comfortable as they stretch a little and get worn in. Seems like a relatively nice pair for the money, I didn't see any real blemishes or the like. Stitching is nice and everything feels sturdely secured. They're utilitarian equestrian boots so there's a quality standard at play, which again, I appreciate for the price. I've paid more for worse riding boots.

Anywho, I think I'm gonna use the shirt I just put on to start deglazing since its synthetic and covered in car battery acid burn holes..😅

Edited by charlesnarles

I have the Angelus white leather paint also and tested it on one boot earlier today, will take pics when I do the other one in my boot post but just wanted to mention you can airbrush(if you have one) the angelus  paint on, it mentions it on the bottle so thought I would give it a go, I only have a cheap airbrush from Lidls (could have been Aldi can't remember) but it came out great and used very little of the paint too.

Thinking about getting the Angelus Acrylic sealer/finisher but not sure which one to get, normal, Matte, satin or high gloss, an suggestions ?

Edited by welshchris77

What's the ModPodge for? Is that what you're using as a sealer? I have the same setup as you but I didn't read anything about sealing them until now!!!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

EDIT: ModPodge clear acrylic SEALER... I wonder if that's your sealer? #dumbquestion

Edited by =Sv3=

Best of luck Scott. I did my Amsterdams and was very pleased with the results. Had to resist wearing them until I was comfortable they were dry. 

A little bit of Angelus goes a LONG way. Try not to glob it on. Instead of frog tape, i used the 3m painters tape. did great. Any bleed I painted with flat black model paint.

I stripped with acetone. It did alright with the towels. You might have better luck with the deglazer.

The tulip paint was a bit of a pain. I did 4 coats and saw minimal results. ended up using the Angelus on the elastic in about 6 light coats. (opening the elastic most i could and packing paint in lightly).

Haven't used a sealer yet.....probably should......

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, I've had bigger fish to fry, as they say, but I'll be hobby-ing a lot during the winter holidays. According to others before me on here, it should work out great tho. I'd do several light coats (rather than one thick coat) until you're happy with the finish

Thanks Scott! I ended up ordering the angelus one as the price was similar. I did however buy the glossy one Still looks pretty good though IMO :)