Gaanon's First Doopy E-11 Build Thread

Gaanon

So happy!  My Doopy kit came in the mail yesterday.  Perfect timing with it being a three day weekend and all.  So...without further ado, here we go.

First is the obligatory brown box photo.  Yeah, can't help it.

post-22524-0-45056500-1435962291_thumb.jpg

Next is everything all laid out.

post-22524-0-68468100-1435962399_thumb.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that unlike some other builds, the folding stock is now all one piece. That's a good thing.  The second thing was that the barrel looks to have black PVC pipe as part of the center (can't see it in the photo).  The mold is nice  and clean with the exception of a few pieces like the trigger and guard that are still stuck together.  Not a big deal.  

As things stand, I don't have a dremel, but I do have files, xacto knives, drill bits, and sand paper.  And plenty of time to take to get it done and done right.

From what I know, I still need to get a few things like a scope rail, counter numbers, wire for the charging coils, a proper D ring, and spring assembly and parts for the cocking lever.  I'm sure I'll find and learn a lot more as I go.

Time for a happy dance!   :dancing-trooper:

PLEASE comments, critiques, and help is ALWAYS welcome!

Brian

I found a recommendation here for counter numbers that I'm trying with a Doopy's conversion kit. It was only $5 with free 2-day shipping when I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00880S4FC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I don't know how well it's going to work for me because it looks like the counter molds that come with the conversion kit are smaller than the ones with the full kit you got. Keep us posted on how it goes!

-PHiL

For today I did a little bit of clean up on the grip, trigger guard, trigger, and selector switch.  No gluing yet.  Just some test fitting.  I'll wait to glue once I'm happy with it all and have had a chance to wash off all the dust and residue.

post-22524-0-66215400-1435981574_thumb.jpg

For those that are really looking into the details, are the photos good enough to give you what you need?

Looks great so far, Brian, and pictures are spot on... clear and concise!  If I could make one suggestion, it would be to break down and pick up a dremel, or any brand of rotary type tool.  You will end up needing this a lot more than you think!  There are a ton of attachments that I promise will make your life so very much easier, like drill bits, sanding drums, etc., and you don't have to spend a small fortune.  Plus, you can utilize it for your TK armor!  Keep up the great work, and I look forward to watching the rest of your build!    P.S. Nice job on the trimming!

Shopping day! Maybe some work later today or tomorrow. Worst case I may have to put this project on hold until I gain my rightful place in the Empire. (In other words, clean up the garage so I can have my man cave back).

First stop Harbor Freight. I realized I have a mini bench grinder with a rotary tool attachment. All I needed was some grinding bits to test it on. And a fresh set of drill bits...did I mention I needed to clean out the garage?

Next on to Home Depot for some bar stock. Stupid me, I didn't take measurements ahead of time. But I got a piece of aluminum bar stock for the sight rail.

Back home for now. Still looking for hex head screws (I believe 11mm is the accurate size). I'm strongly considering the functional trigger mod so I know I have wire and springs for that. The rest will come in time.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Gaanon

Time to stir up a little more trouble.  Been too busy with work and what not to work on the blaster.  So I've been searching the interwebz wile at work.  I managed to find original/used parts for:

- Folding stock

- Ejector retaining screw

- Barrel retaining screws

- Pistol grip retaining screw

All told it was $35USD + shipping.  (Admins, feel free to stun me if I shouldn't be posting prices here).  PM me and I'll share the source, I'm assuming it's not allowed here.

Brian

Unfortunately, no more work has been done on the build just yet.  Mainly prep work...getting a working space set up.

I did however receive the box of parts I ordered.

post-22524-0-21124300-1436803359_thumb.jpg

And here's the comparison shot.  I can always take more photos if need be, but I'm sure others with more building skills than I have done that already.

post-22524-0-49076600-1436803574_thumb.jpg

(And now I'm seeing that I'm only allowed a specific amount of file space to post photos.  Time to use Google Drive.)

Again, some clean up work to be done on the stock.  And new bolts are needed to hold it in place on the resin kit.  But all in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.  

Greasy, some rust, and all kinds of other grunge.  Needs a good bath in a degreaser/cleaner then some CLP.  REAL happy with the condition and the spring otherwise!  I work with a guy who's a bit of a gun nut.  He was going to get it for me if I didn't.

If you haven't, check out the first post on Gasmosis' build.  He used a real folding stock also.  I wouldn't have known about the pins used to attack the stock.  (kind of makes me wonder why they destroyed the receiver instead of just removing the pins...but from this end, I guess that's a good thing to have the original parts!)