Screen Accurate Kidney/AB connection

I'm building an RT-MOD suit to meet Centurion standards as well as close to screen accuracy as I can possibly achieve.

There's a lot that I know about connecting the kidney plate to the AB plate using the six split rivets on the left side with the 25mm black elastic strips.

What I don't know much about is what was done with the RIGHT side of the armor.  I know that there is a single snap in the upper right hand corner of the AB plate.  CRL says that this male snap does not have to be functional but I know that in the original suits that it was functional.  I can't imagine why they would put a snap there for no reason.  

From what I've seen from screen captures and pausing movie scenes I can see that there was a strip of black elastic (most likely 25mm) that was attached to this single male snap on the AB plate.  What I can't seem to figure out is what else is going on here.

What kept the right side of the kidney/AB pieces closed?  I've seen different methods that others have used on their builds but I'd really like to find out what they did on the original suits.

That snap helped to keep it closed. The belt also helped.

How can this still be a mystery with all the pictures we have in the gallery?

ref-gallery.png

• Like 1

It's not so much a mystery as there are several images from the gallery.  Perhaps it's just me.  I just don't see how a single snap and elastic strap can hold the right side together.  I understand that the belt would add some closure but I also foresee this as being too simple.  There's bound to be some give in the elastic and a of of wiggle room between the kidney and the AB plate which could create a wide gap between the connection.

oS7V9Nn.jpg

In this image, we can clearly see the snap at the upper right corner of the AB plate.  There's also evidence of the black elastic strap poking out between the kidney and the AB plate.

u5HN70M.jpg

From the RS Suit we can see the male snap from the inside of the AB plate.  I'm assuming that the elastic straps on the left side were either cut or torn.

osoD8aq.jpg

Another example of the RS Suit where it appears that the end of the elastic strip that was snapped to the AB plate was just glued to the kidney.  I have yet to see any images of the kidney that shows the presence of a snap or rivet holding this strap in place.

MruiJhT.jpg

This looks like the female end of the snap that would connect to the male snap on the AB plate.

You are right in that. The strap was just glued to the inside of the kidney plate. Where you fail is your assumption that this needs to be "strong" in any way. It does more than enough to keep the suit closed as is when used with the belt on the outside.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The strapping of the original suits is really simplistic compared to what people here make of theirs. I see a lot of over-engineering for no particular benefit. Keep it simple is my advice.

• Like 1

if you look closely the snaps are not 5/8" nickle snaps... they are in fact a smaller type of snap called anorak snaps.

These are the best version I can find in Jo-Ann's fabrics... does anyone have a source for the real thing?

61w27g8eepL._SX425_.jpg

These are on the AB plate, Cod, and chin strap.   on the AB for the belt connection and the right side kidney connection.