Premium helmets?

Hey gang:

So are the premium pre-made helmets from Master Replicas and such worth it, when you're making your own armor? It seems to me that this can save quite a bit of effort, but I'm not sure if the licensed replica path is a good one.

I recognize there's a big cost jump in doing it that way, was just wondering if any of you have found it worth going that way?

Thanks!

Bill

Sadly, just because something has the label "licensed replica" doesn't necessarily mean it's the right path. Master replica lids have long been claiming that it was created from a scanned film used helmet. However, the differences are many when placed side by side with an ACTUAL screen used one. If you are going the route of combining armor you are making (if I understand you correctly) with a different helmet, you are much better off getting something through an armor maker here and just combining it with yours. Now, is all the trouble you are going through to make your own armor JUST FOR YOU?? If you have ANY intent on distributing your armor here or anywhere, you will need to sculpt your own helmet. IF this is indeed for your use only, just make sure to give due kudos to whomever's helmet you use.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. No, I am not "making" my own armor. I'll be buying and assembling. Poor choice of words. I'm "making" a suit by buying and finishing all the parts I need, just like most everyone else here. Was just wondering if a finished "retail" helmet was worth any time and labor savings. :)

Thank you!

Bill

Edited by Astyanax

Was just wondering if a finished "retail" helmet was worth any time and labor savings. :)

Thank you!

Bill

No, not really. Not counting RS Props, there is nothing produced by an actual company that is worth it.

Though it may look as if you would save some effort, you would have to invest much more to make an MR or EFX up to the standards (although these standards are still not entirely formulated). In the end a helmet kit or preassembled bucket will be much less effort and more easily approved.

Before I did my TK, I was very nervous about building it myself.  I had absolutely zero experience with anything close to this.  I felt the same way as you too.....that is, I was trying to find a way to get a pre-assembled quality bucket/TK with as little building as possible.  However, once I got started, I found it wasn't difficult at all.  With all the tutorials here, I was able to study step by step what to do.  Plus, you can post up questions on FISD and there are plenty of friendly ppl here who are happy to answer your questions.  

So, in the end, it was time-consuming but not hard to do yourself.  And, you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself!

Understood, thank you so much. Fingers crossed about the Anovos set because they claim the helmet comes finished even with the kit! Which is a good thing, because after all the reading here, there's about ten pounds' worth of electronics I'll want to stuff in it.  ;)

Edited by Astyanax

While I'm sure Anovos will make a fine kit. I think it's worth re-reading this here from back in the day when the Rubies was still unreleased an looked promising.

http://starwarshelmets.com/rubies%20Stormtrooper%20Armor.htm