Joe.Gravelle's TD build [AM] [T/MC]

image_zps33chcicl.jpg

image_zpskqr7uf71.jpg

Test fitting. I can flex my guns and scratch my nose so far. Guess I'll do the forearm to get one side ready to glue up. I'm goig to glue a shim behind to make it a strong joint.

No pictures yet but I have the biceps and forearms starting the glue up process. Half is glued and clamped, I'll let them cure for 24 hours before moving to the other side. I need to buy some better clamps, the slapping strength isn't enough.

Helmet is almost done. Waiting for ears to dry Nd then I'll mount t them and call the bucket done.

Bucket is done. I'll weather everything at once.

image_zpsp25nie0z.jpg

Not done with the strapping yet. I need to make the strap for the forearm longer and make the clips for the biceps to hold them in place. I also need to get foam for the insides of the forearms.

image_zpspbkanuau.jpg

I'm not sure which part I should work on next because it seems one relies on the other. I'd like to hang the shoulder bells to get the strapping set just right. I'm doing snaps on one end and industrial Velcro on the other so I can dial it all in, I just didn't make the strap long enough for the forearms.

What so you all think?

Really coming along!  I did not use velcro, but did the snap elastic to snap elastic method for the shoulders/biceps and forearms.  Ended up making a couple of different length sizes of straps with snaps at first and played around with them until it felt and looked just right.  

You may need to square up your teeth a bit on the bucket, they look a bit rounded.  Keep us posted with pics! 

I can't really square them off. What you see is where I accidentally went past the mold lines. I might paint it black to hide it

image_zpsfbpnsctl.jpg

I have flexible hand guards I want to put in my gloves, how should I glue them on? I think that will help setting the arms up. I'm going to head to lowes for some of the adhesive backed pipe insulation to line the forearms with. Haven't made cover strips yet.

What part should I work on next? I think my arms are good to go in my opinion. The ends of the straps have velcro so I can dial in the length.

Added 3/4" pipe insulation foam to the forearms and they stay in place and look better. Tried the arms on with my compression shirt and it looks right to me when compared to Police Officer submission photos.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

image_zpsk55u6vaf.jpg

Shins and boots! I think I followed the am shin tutorial correctly. Cover strips are curing now and then I'll clean up the bottom opening, add Velcro, and the sniper plate.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

image_zpshixzjzqf.jpg

I made some thighs! They fit perfectly and with the garter I have stay in place.

But the left side catches on the sniper plate a little when I walk. Can I remove the return edge on the bottom end of the thigh or maybe use my iron and fold it in more?

image_zpsrdovhwas.jpg

image_zps7c8f0gj7.jpg

What do you think? The kidney plate has a ton of plastic on the sides since it's AM armor and the ab plate has a bunch too. I taped it up so it's snug but not super tight. I haven't cut anything yet, might tomorrow when I have a friend available to help me check out alignment and everything.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

So I just realized that the snaps have to be visible on the outside on the armor and I just glued my snap plates in

No not snaps, split rivets. Using this template pencil mark your armor. See if you are still able to install split rivets without hitting the steel portion of the snap, if you can just drill 6 holes and install (dummy) spit rivets. They don't have to be functional.

splitrivetplacement.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

I might cheat and use the tops to some brass brads. Or go with the split rivets, I measured and I think the split rivets would interfere with the snap plates (nylon webbing really) so I'd have to remove and replace them.

I might fix my butt plate snaps and remove the snap plates and mount the snaps to the plastic since that's level 3 requirements for TD and it's easy to do. I'll do that when I add the right side exposed snap

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

Working on my strap system now and I have a few questions.

My sides do not line up vertically but I figure the belt can help line them up.

Net how do I mount the belt? I think I've seen a few posts where people have riveted it across the kidney and butt plate or maybe that was just a canvas patch with snaps?

Do I trim the butt plate sides to line up with the kidney plate, I have AM armor so I figure the butt plate has some extra on the wings.

Lastly, I need to trim the butt plate where the snaps mount to and redo the snaps

After browsing the centurion area and the SWAT section at MEPD I did some work.

I trimmed the butt piece where the snaps go so now it looks normal. Added the two snaps. I just need to trim the wings on the butt piece.

Also, how in the world do you guys suit up on your own. I tried putting my boots on then my shins and it wasn't happening.

Edited by Joe.Gravelle

image_zpsogcinyin.jpg

image_zps7angivdq.jpg

So here are my gaps. When I measured and taped the sides up the tape helped line it all up nice and tight. I'm thinking of making Velcro patches to go over the elastic straps to help close it up.

Not sure if you can see but I wonder if my kidney plate needs to be trimmed or should I trim the back armor.

Lastly I need to figure out where to trim the shoulder plastic so I can make the shoulder elastic pieces.

Good call on the belt, Tony!  As far as getting suited up, Joe, I put on my thighs first, then the calves, (but leave them open in the back).  That way I can sit down, slide on my boots, and than secure the backs of the calves.  It does take a little practice, though.  After that comes the rest of the armor.  Also, there is always someone around on a troop who will be glad to help you out with putting other parts on. 

• Like 1

That does help doing the legs first. I put my turtle she'll on first the Tried the calves and boots....nope,did not happen.

image_zpskx5oey2r.jpg

Chest plate and back plate have been trimmed a bit. Still need to trim the sides of the chest plate but I've got all of the snap plates in place and I'll make snap straps today to get everything together.

image_zpslnk4yajz.jpg

Put it all on, except the belt to see how it all fit. And it's pretty good! I need to adjust my left thigh, te bottom edge is pinching my knee skin and it left a nice mark. Totally need fans for the helmet, it gets very warm. Hands get very warm even with the harbor freight gloves I used and not the chemical gloves.

I'll work on the belt next and get pictures of the side so you all can give me an idea where to trim the chest plate

Edited by Joe.Gravelle
  • Like 1

thanks!

I need to figure out how to attach the MP40 pouch to my shoulder. I have a canvas pouch and I think I might want to upgrade to leather since I will need to stuff the pouch with blocks of wood for it to keep its shape. 

You want canvas for the shoulder, it attaches to the pack strap though. Leather for the side pouches that attach to the belt. There's a member on MEPD who sells them, kind of expensive but they are great quality. I believe he sends them pre-stuffed as well. I'll be getting them from him and a pack from DirtyBoy.