Look Sir, Droids! MTK Build - W.I.P.

I played around with spacing out the rear of the left forearm and I still couldn't comfortably fit my arm in so I had to shim the rear and add a thicker cover strip.

Front 5/8" 

72F64540-4B39-4186-B1BC-AFF80F4AEAE5.jpg

Rear:

72956325-4D08-4D02-A761-DBCEF632DF65.jpg

How much is the finishing strips suppose to hang over the edge? I still have to even out the wrist area as I had it fit more flush at the top.

I got some replacement ears in and I am sick of working with them. Here's what I got last night, is this gap acceptable or should I try again?

BE0F7DF8-B0A3-4AE2-B013-CFD17E80273F.jpg

00BEB5ED-D294-4F93-B257-F548F002898C.jpg

Lastly, can someone tell me where I should trim at the end of the ears where they taper off? I am going to need to trim some of the edge off of the bucket too as it is waaaay too tight even knowing I will have to put it on sideways and screw it on. If someone could draw a line where I should cut, that would be extremely helpful.

A443742A-1A79-4972-B814-BBB2049CA033.jpg

I still need to finish doing the teeth and I need to lower the brow a bit more, but I'm getting close. I will be so happy to have this bucket finished soon. 

3C278767-606D-49F9-A5F6-DDA92668FFDE.jpg

Edited by Airborne Trooper

"Here's what I got last night, is this gap acceptable or should I try again?"

"Lastly, can someone tell me where I should trim at the end of the ears where they taper off? I am going to need to trim some of the edge off of the bucket too as it is waaaay too tight even knowing I will have to put it on sideways and screw it on. If someone could draw a line where I should cut, that would be extremely helpful."

Cover strip specs:

15 mm for the arms

20 mm for front of legs
20 mm for back of thighs
25 mm for back of shins

Your ears are perfectly fine as they are in all areas Jason.

As for the lower edge of your bucket, can we get a pic of it from a underside view?
Edited by ukswrath

I was forced to make the rear cover strip that large or I wouldn't be able to get my arm in using 15mm for the front and rear. My garrison said it would be fine, but I'm more worried about making PO in the long run at MEPD. Will that gap in the ear keep me from getting any statuses in MEPD too? I also forgot to add that picture so I edited my post. I'm sorry the pictures are gigantic... I edited them in photobucket too.  

I was forced to make the rear cover strip that large or I wouldn't be able to get my arm in using 15mm for the front and rear. My garrison said it would be fine, but I'm more worried about making PO in the long run at MEPD. Will that gap in the ear keep me from getting any statuses in MEPD too? I also forgot to add that picture so I edited my post. I'm sorry the pictures are gigantic... I edited them in photobucket too.  

You'll be fine Jason. The strip is not a deal breaker and you're not that far off any ways.  :duim:

You won't have a problem on the MEPD either, speaking from experience. Cover strip measurements, though important are not seen as critical as the character you'll be emulating, and that only applies at the SWAT level. 

You're doing great  :D

:dancing-trooper: That makes me feel a lot better! I guess the only thing I am concerned about his how much I can trim at the bottom of the ears and how much I can cut out of the opening of the bucket? 

:duim:

Post a pic from the underside (looking into the bucket). We'll give you some pointers afterwards. 

Personally, I would trim the front side of the right ear. This should help the lower edge align with the bucket edge. If you don't feel comfortable with that just trim off the lower protruding edge.

Jason%20b.jpgJason%20c.jpg

:duim: Thanks! I'll probably just trim the bottom. I've had enough with these ears! 

Lmfao...i don't blame you. The ears are a B*tch!!!!!! lol. But feel comfortable that all buckets had gaps in the original trilogy.

Lmfao...i don't blame you. The ears are a B*tch!!!!!! lol. But feel comfortable that all buckets had gaps in the original trilogy.

Oh yeah, I know that the original had gaps but it bugs me. I look at your thread and everyone's else and then I get jelly. It doesn't help that I'm trying to replicate a particular character either. I ended up buying 2 more pairs from Mike and I might just go ahead and use the fourth to see if I can do better, if not I can go back to what I have as of now. So yeah, if anyone needs extra right ears (as your wearing the bucket), I'm your man lol. 

It doesn't help that I'm trying to replicate a particular character either.

Which character is that?

NM, Duuuuhhhh 

Look sir droids....little slow over here

Edited by ukswrath

As for your TD, I assume since you are emulating a specific trooper you're shooting for SWAT. If so double check everything you do on your build with that of the trooper you are emulating, on the MEPD. From ear and brow positions to how the eyes look. Everything is critical. 

The SWAT level is extremely precise these days. They have up to 3 officers critiquing and approving each applicant with extra scrutiny. This is not to discourage you but to help eliminated possible do overs later.

Good luck sir, watching with anticipation.  :popcorn:

Hey Jason, 

Have not seen this thread before. 

Seems like you are going to tackle the big SWAT challenge. I yet have to go over the MEPD to try to find your build thread, which I assume you have there, and follow it!

I love builds that go from zero to SWAT.

Yes, SWAT program has become more and more challenging with every submission, but I dont see that as a problem but as standig in shoulders of giants, if I may say so. Cause all the hard work researching and comparing that has been done by previous submissions by many troopers will only help you be more precise with your build and not start from scracth. 

Also, I see you are toying with the idea of not going for SWAt and just stay PO due to one single detail in your build (did I got that right). If so, don't be discouraged. I mean, PO is quiet an achievement to be proud of, but no need to stop there. Keep on building every part of your amor the best you can and then come back and review any possible mistake or detail you are not happy with. 

As part of the team that developed the program (to give what looked like a very small bunch of troopers something to aim for), and seeing where the program is now, I know that this is something worth the effort, but also, there is no short cut or easy way to get there. It took me 6 years and 2 sets of armor, to take my sandtrooper where I wanted it to be. And trust me, it was not easy at any moment. Just keep in mind what you want and go for it.

If I can be of any help, shoot me a PM here, at MEPD or facebook. I am not the most expert guy in armor or "clean troopers" of any kind, but I do know my Sandtrooper stuff and that will always be used to help anyone and everyone.

:)

Saludos. 

Edited by iconoclasta_88
  • Like 2

Thanks, Juan. I'm slowly getting more parts built before I start a build thread over at MEPD. I am building the best I can and looking at all the great examples FISD and MEPD has to offer. I have set a personal goal of being accepted into the 501st by July so I can do my first troop for an event scheduled then. I appreciate your help and all you've done for the sandtrooper community. You'll see me on MEPD soon when I have a little more to share in my build. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Juan. I'm slowly getting more parts built before I start a build thread over at MEPD. I am building the best I can and looking at all the great examples FISD and MEPD has to offer. I have set a personal goal of being accepted into the 501st by July so I can do my first troop for an event scheduled then. I appreciate your help and all you've done for the sandtrooper community. You'll see me on MEPD soon when I have a little more to share in my build. 

Awesome bro.

Take your time. 

Just remember one thing above all, this hobby is to make you happy, not others... And the best armor is the one that makes you happy.

So, take your time, and get where you want to get... if you need any help or assistance, we are here to help. 

Borthers helping brothers...

Saludos.

• 2 weeks later...

i kid, i still have my spare set, if they come out abominations like the first set though i'll message your or ATA

you just used a sanding dremel and sandpaper?  i think i over did mine, so i'll go slower the second