RomFX with magnetic PTT

I want to do something, but I don't know if it would work.  I don't find what I want, but I'm pretty sure I saw something like that but I don't remember where ...

I want to use a RomFX kit, but that only works when I want, so something "push to talk".  But I don't want a button in my gloves, I want to put a magnet in my glove that activates the RomFX functions when I touch my helmet at a precise place.  I KNOW I saw that somewhere !!!

Does someone know what I'm talking about ?

And I want to add to that an EAS kit for hearing what happens around me.  I hope it all fit in my AP helmet :(

On 3/28/2015 at 12:31 AM, Spycee said:

I want to do something, but I don't know if it would work.  I don't find what I want, but I'm pretty sure I saw something like that but I don't remember where ...

I want to use a RomFX kit, but that only works when I want, so something "push to talk".  But I don't want a button in my gloves, I want to put a magnet in my glove that activates the RomFX functions when I touch my helmet at a precise place.  I KNOW I saw that somewhere !!!

Does someone know what I'm talking about ?

And I want to add to that an EAS kit for hearing what happens around me.  I hope it all fit in my AP helmet :(

I think you may have seen it in one of my threads:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28004-three-icomm-push-to-talk-options/

I've used it a few times and it works pretty well.

If you look for something like this:

----------You can make your own magnetic PTT with this type thing. I taped a rare earth magnet to one of my fingers and the switch to the other and touched them when I wanted to talk.

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

The only thing you can do with the ROM/FX is interrupt the mic input. The ROM/FX stays powered during this entire operation though.

I'm curious, are you trying to create an on demand voice control system?

I would like to put the microphone on only when I need it, when touching my helmet with a hand, so if I cough or talk to myself (I know, I'm weird !) it is kept inside the helmet. I know iComm has a button you can push to do that, so I thought that since the RomFX cost a lot more it would also do that. How does the on/off microphone works on the RomFX ?

There isn't a button per say however, you can set the time delay it begins transmitting. So, ex. you briefly cough it doesn't immediately broadcast it. With that said, I haven't really played around with that feature to be completely honest, so I can't give you any realistic feedback. I use the default settings the ROM/FX came with and really don't have any problems, and yes I cough and make other natural noises without complaints from others around me.

With my TD and HWT set ups I've been toying around with the idea of using a micro switch to interrupt my TK chatter chatter so I can speak without being interrupted. My plan is to use a micro pressure or magnetic switch but this is still in the development stages.

I have also been looking into magnetic switches, but with an ICOMM. Mainly looking at the placement of said switch. My though was on the inside of the belt or ab plate with a magnet in my glove. The big reason being that if you look how most troopers end up standing when not holding a blaster their hands are right in that area. It would make it a less noticeable movement to talk rather than going to touch my helmet or even pressing my fingers together.

Edited by FNGmacaroni

Well take a look at this switch. Depending on the thickness of plastic in that area and how strong the earth magnet you put in your glove you might be able to pull it of with something like this.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/magnetic-switch-normally-open

Well take a look at this switch. Depending on the thickness of plastic in that area and how strong the earth magnet you put in your glove you might be able to pull it of with something like this.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/magnetic-switch-normally-open

I've looked at those previously, but will be trying it first with the reed type switch. Mainly because if I can get it to work with the reed switch, I sell SMC parts at my shop and can order a bunch if other people are interested in trying them out.

I've looked at those previously, but will be trying it first with the reed type switch. Mainly because if I can get it to work with the reed switch, I sell SMC parts at my shop and can order a bunch if other people are interested in trying them out.

Yes, please give us a follow up on the reed switches. 

Yeah it must be it ! But it's for iComm... Is it possible to do PTT with a RomFX kit ?

I'll let you know if/when it ever gets here :)

-Eric

I hesitate a lot between RomFX and iComm ...  I heard very good comments on RomFX, the only real downsides being its cost and availability ...  

What I want :

- Use it only when I want (magnetic PTT)

- Have the "shh" noise at the end of my talk

Would I be ok with the iComm ?  I read that it can have some issues sometimes, and it seems a lot of trouble to change batteries. It bothers me a lot, considering the price ...

I hesitate a lot between RomFX and iComm ...  I heard very good comments on RomFX, the only real downsides being its cost and availability ...  

What I want :

- Use it only when I want (magnetic PTT)

- Have the "shh" noise at the end of my talk

Would I be ok with the iComm ?  I read that it can have some issues sometimes, and it seems a lot of trouble to change batteries. It bothers me a lot, considering the price ...

I bought my icomm in October of 2011. I love it. It works perfectly in spite of me not finding a good PTT solution yet. After a couple years the battery died on it. Jim sent me a new one and it was replaced in a few minutes. Easy peasy. I sent mine back to get newer firmware and I had it back within a week. Great service and a great product. 

I bought the ROM/FX out of pure curiosity to see what the difference is not because I don't like my icomm. I'll also likely be rigging that aker up semi permanently to my vader belt and the ROM/FX has its own speaker. 

When the ROM/FX gets here I'll make a little video comparing the two a la Dday and the Vader voice toys. 

-Eric

Eric has good point, there's positives and negatives for each system.

Eventually it will come down to preference. Things to consider when purchasing.

1) price

2) options

3) adaptability 

Finally, though I can't compare the two (side by side) I do have a video me using the ROM/FX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbbsabITa7o. If Eric or someone else has one with the iComm please post it. 

I have the icomm. Other than choosing PTT or VOX there are NO other adjustments available. I too sent it back in for the new firmware update and it came back with the ability "lock" the squelch sound effect to a single tone of the available 5 (I believe there are 5) even after powering it down and the volume level of the sound effects were lowered about 20%.

I'm pleased with the overall simplicity of the unit but that comes at the cost of lack of flexibility.

Woo hoo, good news !  It is possible to use a PTT switch with the RomFX, I talked about it with John, the maker of the kit.  And I am on the waiting list for the RomFX, which is supposed to ship in a couple of weeks  :)  I will just need to make the magnetic part of it.

• Like 1

Woo hoo, good news !  It is possible to use a PTT switch with the RomFX, I talked about it with John, the maker of the kit.  And I am on the waiting list for the RomFX, which is supposed to ship in a couple of weeks  :)  I will just need to make the magnetic part of it.

Well please tell those of us who already have ROM/FX kits how it's done  :D

EDIT: I've been trying to get technical documentation on the ROM/FX from John since last year and long story short it's like trying to get blood out of a turnip.

Edited by ukswrath

He proposed me to add (for a price) a PTT cable that works with it.  I don't know how this works, sorry  :blush:

Dagnabbit! knew that would happen.

Well..once you get the device I would be ecstatic if you would take detailed pics for me. I'll take it from there ;)  

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Not to say the quality is comparable, but the $25 Disney TK mask has a PTT button and the static burst after speech PLUS 15 randomized but clean ANH chatter files. Comes with a 1 watt speaker and about 6 inches of wire between everything, but it's easily modable for the electronic-savvy:

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Looks like another toy to buy, dissect and not put back together. This should make my mother proud, sorry mom  :laugh1:

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I got my RomFX ! I also got the PTT, and it works great :-) But the problem comes from the RomFX itself... It doesn't work well. When I turn it on it just makes a small static sound, and when I use it the sound is really really low when the volume is at max. When I push buttons it doesn't seem to so anything. The batteries are new ...

Does someone have an idea ?