AP vs RS Prop for EIB/Centurion

So after the input I got on another thread I posted about armor sizing, I was leaning towards AP (largely due to the sizing of the waist).  

But I did more reading up on the armors, and I have another question about AP vs RS, with regard to the higher levels of certification.  RS assembly requires butt joints and cover strips, which you need for EIB/Centurion, while AP has overlapping joints.  (I know the AP mic tips are off too, but that's easier to change.)

First off, this is my first build.  I assume this is like anything else, and we all learn by making mistakes.  Would I be nuts to try to build it to EIB or Centurion standards?  Might I be better off just doing an AP with the overlapping joints then later on doing a RS?

Also, can you choose to finish AP with butt joints and cover strips instead of the overlapping?  If so, where do you get the cover strips?

Thanks again guys, I know I'm shot-gunning you all with questions. :)

There is nothing that says AP HAS to be built with overlapping joints. They can and have been built to EIB and Centurion standards for years. Go to the EIB and Centurion application threads and seek out AP and have a looksie/

Actually, it's been quite a while since i've seen an AP built with overlapping. And as Ben says, Mark from AP supplies enough ABS stripes within his kit to make all the cover stripes needed for a full butt-joint build.

Sorry but you'll have to rely on something else to make your choice between AP and RS  ^_^

Edited by The5thHorseman