Newby biff looking for advice..

Hi guys

Hopefully you can give me some advice and save me burning my cash. I am looking at making my first ANH trooper set, this will take a fair bit of time as and when cash allows, however....

I am a UK military aircraft engineer of many many years service (far too many) but unfortunately I suffered some nerve damage and therefore lost some fine motor skills in my hands and therefore the hands don't necessarily do what the old noggin tells them to. Additionally I'm not the smallest of people being 6ft 2" and 235 lbs.

So after a bit of rambling onto my questions:

What kits would you recommend for me to start with as my first set that is a bit more forgiving but that would fit my frame? My ultimate ambition is to have a full 501st worthy set but I'd rather not go through 15 kits as I twitch and butcher them 1 by 1 lol

Many thanks for any pointers.

Hey Chip, welcome to the FISD....best place to start out is in the getting started section where you'll find a lot of info on the different armors if you haven't already. Best of luck in your TK journey!

Hey Chip, welcome to the FISD....best place to start out is in the getting started section where you'll find a lot of info on the different armors if you haven't already. Best of luck in your TK journey!

Yeah I had been through the where to find armour parts thread, TM sounded the best kind of fit (and uk based) but it goes on to mention it can be trickier to assemble, so was after some guidance on how tricky this is or would RT-Mod or anther set be better considering my motor limitations? Obviously any non uk set will incur greater shipping costs, but possibly less chance of screwing it up if easier in assembly.

Welcome aboard. With TM you will be getting one of the top of the line armor. He makes XL shins to accommodate taller guys.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I don't know much about TM but you can check to see if they'll send you the armor pretrimmed. That will help you out a lot! Also, contact your local Garrison. Some have build parties and maybe they'll help you out as well.

Edited by Snaps

Thanks guys, tried to PM TrooperMaster but doesn't accept PMs. Guess I'll haunt the Sales thread, the build party idea sounds good too.

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Surprised nobody has given you this link yet! http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ 

Also, you can read reviews on many of these types of armor here: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/fan-made-stormtrooper-armor-submenu.htm

And if you want two cents from one who is a fairly newby, but quite learned in a short time, I've written a bit below based on exhaustive research on these boards, so thank you to the vets!

In terms of value for your money, ATA armor is quite excellent from what I understand. I have just an ATA bucket and am very happy with it, and it is very very accurate. Having said that, I would love to own a TM suit after all of the research I've done but it hasn't seemed like he is making them right now, or the waiting list is ridiculous (one of those full inbox messages is one of mine that he hasn't gotten to yet!). 

Also note that when I inquired about my ATA bucket, I was told there is usually a number of months wait on the armor, though a complete set with helmet in kit form will only cost $520 USD. I'm not even sure what a TM suit would cost, so if anyone has info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Certainly the TM will be significantly more expensive, but having seen many of the builds, they are simply amazing. As others have said, TM will also do the build for you with screen accurate construction and strapping, though that will be an additional cost on top.

Also along the expensive line, but arguably the "most" accurate ANH armor is from RS Prop Masters. They are the only ones who used casts from a (nearly) full original suit from ANH. TM is a (ridiculously accurate and ridiculously good looking) fan sculpt and many others are modified ROTJ armor made to look like ANH. Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions!

Thanks Matt.

Things have moved on a fair bit in the last month since the previous post but I appreciate the reply :)

Have started gathering all my bits and pieces together only waiting on my ROM/FX and my armour which is on order from TM.

Building my E11 at present whilst I wait on the armour :)