What to do about big calves?

Just wondering if any other troopers have large calves and how they went about constructing their shin armor.  If I size the two pieces together to get the proper look and 7/8" finishing strip in the front, I can't get my foot and leg out of the armor.  If I go the other way so I can get my foot out, I have monster wide calves in armor.    I'm up for suggestions.  Do I go with the finishing strip in front, but a fake one in back so that I can clamshell open them and seal them with velcro?

Thanks!

Your shins are not supposed to be fully glued closed. You're just like everyone else! no one can fit there foot through shin armor, its impossible! It goes coverstrip in front and hooks and elastic to close it in the back, or a simple velcro closure which tons of people use, both acceptable!

I'll admit that I'm a little confused as to how you're trying to build them.

The shins should be a clamshell. They should have a cover strip on the front and back, but they are one piece in the front, and open in the back. The backside cover strip is attached to the outside piece of armor. There are a number of options when it comes to closing them, but the back should not be sealed shut during the assembly.