Ricks AM Armor

Lookin good, just wondering how your rivets popped out, that must have taken some force surely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Sly11

Thanks, Andrew.

I was trying to figure out how to put my armor on by myself, I put on the belt on backwards so I can attach the TD.  When I got to rotating it to the front, it popped out.

I have added bigger rivets and heat bended the ammo belt a bit,  hopefully this fixed the problem.

I will post more pics when I fix the elastics on my shoulders and add some to my hand plates.

Line 24 snaps from Tandy Leather Factory. Order about 6+ packs, I ended up mixing and matching between these and the ones sold at Michale's/Jo-ann's because I thought 3 packs were enough :mellow:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1263-03.aspx

I like these bettere because the little little thing you hammer down is longer that other heavy duty snaps.

Looking good Rick! You may want to reshape the tail end of your butt plate. Not that Im checking you out! Just the tail sticks out a bit like mine did. I had a snap fail at a photo shoot last night on my ammo belt. Im now in the process of installing the other plastic belt that came with the kit. Should be done soon

Looking good Rick! You may want to reshape the tail end of your butt plate. Not that Im checking you out! Just the tail sticks out a bit like mine did. I had a snap fail at a photo shoot last night on my ammo belt. Im now in the process of installing the other plastic belt that came with the kit. Should be done soon

post-37617-lookings-for-free-touchings-g

I'll try heat bending the but plate a little, thanks for the heads up.

Reg: ammo belt, yea looks like we forgot to heat bend it a little (at least I did).  I still don't think i bent it enough but ill see this week.

• Like 1

Yeah my snap failed last night, so hopefully heat bending helps out on the second attempt! Luckily i brought some velcro as backup. It did its job until the end of the night

Thought i'd post a few pics of painting the rivets and adding the ab buttons. I also have pics of my hand plates and belt.

side.jpg

ear-1.jpg

e057bbce-3a7d-4761-8823-9b2d0e608e80.jpg

Here is the ab plates. 

The right side, I spaced out 10mm from the edge of the top and bottom.

I then made a 17mm space between the center of the buttons.

1709b998-050b-46d4-b5b0-d011d6c74f00.jpg

This is pretty embarrassing. I thought I painted all of them and turns out I forgot 1. 

I just finished painting the last blue button and will add it as soon as it dries.  (Rookie mistake :blink: )

173479c8-f779-4fa0-ba34-76cc502dc159.jpg

I also did an experiment with the hand plates.  I did one plate with 1 elastic and the other with 2.  I kind of like them with just 1

elastic, it seems to hold it together just fine.

You can't tell the right side has 2 but here's a pic anyways.

449691a6-4fcb-4e8f-a6fe-89c476dc1101.jpg

Lastly I finished putting my belt back together.  I still need to add the snaps to my ab plate but that will come in due time.

P.s. I will be using the new Hasbro blaster for Halloween activities, I could be done with my DD blaster by then but  there has

been some incidents with cops being trigger happy here so i'm not taking any chances ( not to diss cops, but its a small city

and some good amount of gang violence).

8acf39cd-9dad-4982-a48e-320e14e6e8af.jpg

You will want to heat bend your main ammo belt. It will relieve stress on your snaps and make putting your blaster back in your holster MUCH easier. I learned the hard way :/

Hey Andrew,

I did heat it up a bit and bended it, I just didn't leave it bent to cool off and stay that way,  however it is a bit more flexible.  I'm not going to take any chances  and will see how I can do it with belt and all.  It really sucked when I was ready to take a pic and the rivet popped right off as my wife was taking a pic.

I'm going to post some pics in just a second. 

• Like 1

Hey Sly, Andrew and Rick,

Been watching the build and the last pages are really useful for everyone, well done.

Didn't get to my outfit today, family "stuff" involved. They told me in the Army if they had of wanted me to have a wife, they would have issued me one.  Wonder if Lord Tarkin had those issues.

But alas, all the "stuff taking over the garage" come in handy today, apparently the E6000 is the "glue of choice" for gluing beads and ribbons on formal dresses.

Anyway, good thread guys

• Like 1

Weekend update.

I just sent some pics to my garrison's GML for verification,  I will be submitting my application for basic approval when he gives me the ok.

Here is what I have so far.  I still need to add the snap on the top right side of the ab plate,  since I always have good luck I ran out of snaps and I just needed 3 more.  If any newbie is reading this, order 100 as mentioned a few posts back.

Here is the front side.  I managed to lessen the gap on the shoulder bells,  I was able to also keep the little white elastics on the shoulder straps in place somehow, those were a little pain in the but.   The belt will be getting some more heat bending and left to cool in place this time.

20141025_163808.jpg

Right Side

20141025_163838.jpg

20141025_163855.jpg

20141025_163953.jpg

Left Side

20141025_164028.jpg

20141025_164106.jpg

20141025_164043.jpg

Backside

20141025_170851.jpg

Notes:

I'm waiting to see if TG is going to update the back plate, for now I'll just have to see how I can raise and trim it down so there's minimal to no overlap.  I will also be trimming down the thighs later.  I would like a little more flexibility if that's possible.

I'm still working on the inside of my helmet, I haven't permanently installed the visors or the frown mesh because I'm going to order a fan system and see what else I can add to make trooping a bit more easier.   I managed to get a hold of some baseball helmet padding, Here's what im working with right now.  This guys setup is awesome and inspiring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EBpFHYuv-0

Beginning my helmet interior.

20141025_195102.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Here's an update: It turns out that my rookie mistake at the beginning stalled my application a bit, also because i'm the first to submit my new AM armor.  

Here is my rookie mistake and fix

Rookie Mistake (10 holes on frown instead of 8)

20140803_195223-1.jpg

Reason: I kept hearing 4 teeth on each side from the center tooth, I thought complete teeth. 

Looking at the reference pics I noticed they were mostly different and thought mine was ok because

of the one on the upper right (has hole at the end and no grey paint ending the frown)

med_gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

FIX:

As soon as I read the fix I needed, I went to Home Depot and bought some Acetone and made some abs paste. It was a little weird applying it but i'm satisfied with the result.

b0619885-daee-45d6-97d6-a0735d657490.jpg

e6e54dc3-664e-4dd0-994b-c2a7219cd0ec.jpg

2cf64b5b-c17d-47ca-88f0-cc9912c1d69f.jpg

Sent these pics out this morning, hopefully hear from them soon. I'm dying of the suspense lol

• Like 1