My journey to becoming TK-51500

Hi all,

I've been meaning to post all the pics I took while I built my AP TK Stormtrooper Stunt Armor. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to but hopefully this journey will even help just a little for anyone who is getting ready to do their own build. First and foremost, I want to thank everyone here on the FISD. I learned so much from everyone. And to anyone who is getting ready to do their own TK, you will love building it more than you already think....All the pics were taken with my iPhone so sorry for the grainy pics....

I received my armor March 2014 and was accepted June 2014 to the 501st and Ohio Garrison and I jumped for joy.

I received my DD E11 kit in January so I started working on that while I waited for my armor to get in. I'll post my E11 build later.

So began my learing how important and great the FISD is....

All the pieces...what had I gotten myself into? :blink:

IMG_1585_zpsfb484e14.jpg

First thing I put together was the helmet. C'mon, of course had to put that together first...it's the Helmet!

But first....

IMG_1600_zps5b6c5821.jpg

After building the helmet, I ended up taking it apart and painting the inside flat black. I read it helps with keeping the light out. I tape off all the edges and covered the majority of the helmet with plastc wrap

The result

IMG_1689_zpsb6522aea.jpg

Back to the helmet build

IMG_1601_zps04a4722c.jpg

Afer putting the decals on, painting the teeth and ear pieces. If you ever need to remove the paint, use Easy Off oven cleaner!

IMG_1610_zps54478bc8.jpg

After taking that pic, I realized I had to adjust the side stripes to lower them. I also installed darker lenses than what came with the kit.

I installed much needed fans and padding on the inside. It took a little bit of time and patience with figuring out where I needed the padding. I used alot of tape for that part. Once I figured it out, I attached all the padding with velcro to the helmet.

The final product (with a couple of dudes gaurding it)

IMG_1838_zps5ad74886.jpg

Up next, the shins....(I'm going to separate this journey into multiple posts)

The shins

I measured 5 times and cut once the shims to cover the joints. I know the accurate way is to use hooks to close the backs but I went with heavy duty velcro. The shims on the front were hard to stick using E6000 glue so I went with CA glue. I also used CA glue to attach the sniper plate. The rest I used E6000 glue, which I'm glad I did for adjustments and stuff.

IMG_1693_zps499b1882.jpg

IMG_1694_zpsa1bcc3cc.jpg

IMG_1635_zpsab696f39.jpg'

It doesn't show in the pic, but I used a router to clean things up on the bottom.

Onward with the journey....

Here is a test fitting of the body pieces. I learned I needed to add extra ABS in between the abdomen and kidney plate. About 21/2 inches. I was scared at first with the paste, not like you can just run down to the store and buy new kidney plate. After practicing with the paste, I felt better.

IMG_1652_zpsed021664.jpg

I learned to make ABS paste to cover the seam of the extra ABS material I added, you use acetone and scraps of ABS. Mix the acetone a little at a time. It took a couple of hours to make the paste. I attached the ABS plate to the kidney plate and used an inside shim for extra support. After the glue dried, I applied the past to cover up the seam. After letting the paste dry for 24 hours, I sanded it down, repasted to cover up tiny air holes and repeated until I was satisfied.

IMG_1664_zpsb4b97bc2.jpg

IMG_1667_zps24cc7b1c.jpg

IMG_1675_zps59072981.jpg

IMG_1677_zpsaa3753e4.jpg

Again, it took a lot of sanding, repasting and more sanding but it was worth the effort....

Onward

Here's the biceps and thighs. Pretty easy. I used split rivets to attach the ammo pack to the thigh. I didn't put the ammo pack close enough to the armor so I had to redo that.

Biceps

IMG_1626_zps142872bb.jpg

IMG_1627_zps7bab8673.jpg

Finished biceps. Later on after this pic, I added the straps and a ABS hook to each bicep for better support. Also, I routed off the edges to give them a cleaner look.

IMG_1628_zps9ebf93bd.jpg

Thighs...same process as the biceps and shins.

I had to cut and router off ABS off the back to get the right fitting. Like the shins, I used heavy duty velcro to close.

IMG_1663_zpsde4a79ff.jpg

IMG_1670_zps7bd406d5.jpg

There be legs!

I had to router off some of the thigh above the sniper plate because they kept catching on each other. I know the ammo thigh looks wider but I had not put the velcro on the back yet so the ammo pack is keeping the thigh open more than it should be.

IMG_1684_zps1495f536.jpg

Next....

Edited by Slangen

Inside strapping for the main body parts. I used elastic bands and snaps that I sewed onto the bands. Never knew I knew how to sew. I used E6000 glue to attached the snaps where the elastic bands would attach to. This allowed me to readjust the strapping where I needed...which was alot!
 I measured 10mm per the CRL for the 3 rivets on the abdomen and kidney plate and used elastic straps in those with split rivets. I used a heavy duty snap on the other side per the CRL.

IMG_1763_zps6ad915a9.jpg

Had to learn how to work attaching the heavy duty snaps first

IMG_1692_zps54585ea1.jpg

Required side snap and then regular snap

IMG_1766_zpsd7521d1d.jpg

IMG_1758_zps8ca8aee8.jpg

IMG_1768_zpsba6fffa1.jpg

This next pic was taken before I added the third strap to the middle for the abs and breast plate. Also, I added the required snaps butt piece per the CRL using the same heavy duty snaps as the ab and kidney plate.

IMG_1761_zps096eef6f.jpg

Shoulder straps. I used snaps I ordered from Trooperbay. I had to do alot of adjusting with these straps even after approval. The middle snap on the left strap is where my should bells will snap on to.

IMG_1762_zps187425dc.jpg

I don't have pics but like I mentioned, I attach straps with snaps to the shoulder bells to attach to the shoulder straps. I also attached a strap in between the bicep and forearms, and a strap to the shoulder bell and biceps.

Next

Forearms and gloves, thermal detonator.

I have to admit, I hated attaching the white felxible pieces to the gloves, gave me grief. I had to use CA glue.

IMG_1701_zps002104c9.jpg

IMG_1705_zps5c0ee3a1.jpg

For the gloves, AP sends plastic plates. The gloves were too small too so I got a new pair. I used flexible plates from TrooperBay.

IMG_1636_zps0832b5e2.jpg

The TD was pretty much straight forward. I used clips from EvilBoy.

IMG_1682_zps7504f350.jpg

IMG_1703_zpsf37d9a8c.jpg

Edited by Slangen

Front plates and belt.

These were also straight forward. I ordered a holster from trooperbay and attached it to the belt using snaps (CRL said it was okay.) This will allow me to attach the binders and binder holster to my belt when I can't take my blaster out on troops. I had to modify the binder holster by cutting the belt loop and then attached the snaps.

I thought I had a pic of pre-build belt but don't so here's the finished belt. I used split rivets to attach the ammo to the belt. I didn't put one in the middle at first but quickly learned it was needed as the ammo hung off the canvas belt. Also I added snaps to the abdomen and belt so the belt attached to the abdomen.

Sorry for the lack of pics on this one.

IMG_1818_zpscefe0a5a.jpg

pre-modified binder holster

IMG_1576_zps4656953d.jpg

after mod...

IMG_1845_zps06e023b1.jpg

inside the belt

IMG_1847_zpsd2e8a129.jpg

front of the ab armor.

IMG_1665_zps2b929a7b.jpg

IMG_1668_zps61babc68.jpg

IMG_1669_zpsaf6fa526.jpg

45a0bf75-35b3-4deb-9b53-eeb2e6d9f508_zps  IMG_1202_zpsc16e83a1.jpg

The finished product.

ReadyForDutySir-Copy_zps32c6f2e3.jpg

Well, that pretty much sums up the journey. Again, sorry for the grainy pics. Most of these pics were taken during my build so I've done alot of adjusting and routing and stuff, but please feel free to let me know what you think, any advice is much appreciated.

I hope some of you can get something from my journey. Please feel free to ask any questions...A good chance I won't have the answer but will help you out as much as I can. Its the least I can do with all the help I've gotten from the awesome people here on the FISD.

My next goal is EIB and then Centurion.

Edited by Slangen

LOL..that's actually a sheet I hung up for other photos.

I added a couple more. :smiley-sw013:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Slangen

I am sorry....Stormtroopers never wore capes. That will not pass approval.

Wonderful armor, Sir!!!

I don't know, the cape-look may be the next, great thing!

You should glue the back of your thighs shut as they just slip on and it looks less costume like and more real  ;)

It's a personal preference. It's easier for me to put the boots, shins and then the thighs on.

Nice armor! For level 3 you may have to ditch the velcro and close the thighs with a joining strip. Putting the thighs on first will keep you limber. :)

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what do you mean finishing strips? I know about the shims to cover the joints...

Edited by Slangen

• 2 weeks later...

Wow your TK looks great! I'm in the OH Garrison as well (Cleveland area). I'm sending my final payment to AP (had to pay via payment plan. Couldn't just purchase in one sitting) this coming Monday. I already have my boots (TK Boots), shirt/pants underarmor, decals (ear pinstripe and abdomen...but will probably use paint), and Blaster (Hasbro)( I have a 2nd back-up Kenner) with attachments from doopy doos; still needs painting. My TK from AP will be coming trimmed with Leather Holster and gloves. I'll have to get the frown screen and darker eye lens and maybe rivets/buttons from Trooperbay.

Wow your TK looks great! I'm in the OH Garrison as well (Cleveland area). I'm sending my final payment to AP (had to pay via payment plan. Couldn't just purchase in one sitting) this coming Monday. I already have my boots (TK Boots), shirt/pants underarmor, decals (ear pinstripe and abdomen...but will probably use paint), and Blaster (Hasbro)( I have a 2nd back-up Kenner) with attachments from doopy doos; still needs painting. My TK from AP will be coming trimmed with Leather Holster and gloves. I'll have to get the frown screen and darker eye lens and maybe rivets/buttons from Trooperbay.

Thanks! I got the AP holster and gloves too but the gloves ended up being too small and I didn't think of cutting the loops on the holster so ended up getting holster from Trooperbay too. Haven't been disappointed with anything from them. Good luck with your TK....if you have any questions or need help, feel free to shoot me a PM. Maybe sometime down the road we'll meet up at a troop in Ohio...post some pics of your TK too!

Get the rivets from Echo on this board. They are more accurate IMO

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk