Rustmonkeys DD E11 WIP

Rustmonkey

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure wether or not I am experienced enough to produce a build thread but also thought without it that a I would find it harder to get direct input.

I have read quite a few of the threads here and ai am very impressed with ( and a little intimidated) by some of the skills used. I particularly like Dark CMFs build which was superb.

Living in the UK, I didn't have to wait too long for my kit to arrive and was happy to see it turn up with all the packaging in one piece.

Straight out of the box, I was impressed by the apparent quality

QKKZN1u.jpg

First thing I did was give it all a good wash in soapy water and clean all the parts up a bit using my Dremel style tool and and Wet & Dry.

My skill level at this kind of thing is limited and my tool shed is devoid of decent tools so I opted to not go for working trigger mod. I did however like the idea of getting rid of those silly blobs at the end of the barrel and replace them with real Allen screws. Having tidied up the foresight, ai also opted for cross hatching it and also adding an actual sight.

djJbE90.jpg

I was lucky enough to find some garden wire in my garage which once painted will make a decent fake spring. I found that wrapping it around a drumstick worked best. For extending the working parts a bit I decided to use part of a self injector pen that I use for my Chrohn's disease. It fits in the barrel nicely and I like the white plastic piece that the spring slides over nicely.

CMP4QOI.jpg

0Y0CkUa.jpg

I wanted to improve the look of the power cylinder so went scratching around my garage looking for parts to use. I found an old circuit board that hade some interesting bits on that I could use. Pieces were removed and glued together. Although certainly not the best mod, I do think that once it's painted that it'll look ok.

Digging out the old resin cylinders was traumatic and took ages but I did finally get them out and cleaned up the main part.

SOVpWEl.jpg

WNu49FR.jpg

I am currently waiting for some green stuff to arrive so that I can add some welds to the part joints and also to fill some mold bubbles.

I have cleaned up the Hengstler ready for adding a counter window.

Any help or advice on what I have done so far will be very welcome.

Nice work so far Craig. You're right about the quality of Doopy Doos. Plenty of fine DD E-11's out there. One tip a few use is to wrap sandpaper around the receiver, then sand the curved items like the sights, grip, etc. This will make sure the two curves match and minimise some of those gaps - like on your front sight at the moment.

Nice start! Always good to see another trooper tackling a DD kit. I don't know the level of accuracy you are looking to achieve, but if accurate is what you want, you might want a magazine upgrade. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26677-doopy-dos-replacement-e-11-magazine-run-3-now-open/.

Quick edit on my blaster....put the bayonet lug on the wrong way around, lol ( not the first though)

Taken off and replaced facing the right way :)

Thanks for the shout-out, Craig!  No need to follow my thread so closely though - I did the exact same thing.  LoL

As for the counter button - pen spring does the trick just fine!

Looking good, Craig!!

Question about paint....I understand that Resin requires special plastic paints to stop reactions but do I have to use plastic primer or can I use the Rust-o-Leum straight to plastic paint.

On the Brightside, I have ordered one of Evilboys rail and Hengstler bracket combos.

The main thing with painting resin is just to make sure the parts are clean and washed (even safer with a detergent of some kind). It's mainly the traces of mold release agent that mess with paint on resin. Rustoleum Plastic Primer or even a Testors primer or something similar from a model shop will do you just fine. Rustoleum offers filler primers that will smooth out your finish and help hide any imperfections which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how "battle used" you want your blaster to appear, whereas the Testors etc are for perfect smooth styrene model kits etc. so they don't offer that rock hard filler layer and they'll show nearly every scratch and ding.

Update time.

Received my new magazine from Gaz, primed, painted and weathered.

This is all new to me but it's a very intuitive thing to do. When weathering it was a case of thinking where scratches and wearing would occur.

I used a dry brush technique having first primed, black hammerite and flat blacked the parts, used acrylics for the weathering and fine detailing.

Just waiting for my rail and D ring to arrive before I can move on but quite pleased with results so far.

2qCBsZ8.jpg

3nKfRlT.jpg

Jc20pX3.jpg

4BJMFth.jpg

wZyA3wc.jpg

GQmJGLd.jpg

iKtmWIv.jpg

Thnx Zero. I really need to thank everyone who did a tutorial on the E11. I have used ideas from other builds and tailored them to my own lack of ability. I'm pleased how the power cylinders came out. Amazing what you can find if you scrat about in the garage. It's maybe a little too beat up for some people's liking but I like it.

Just gotta wait for my rail to arrive now so I can finish her ;)

Hiya folks,

Anyone know if there's an issue with Queen of Handguards?

Been waiting for a D Ring I paid for a couple of weeks ago....nothing.

Tried sending a PM but says she is not accepting messages?

Any ideas?

Edited by Rustmonkey

I already wrote you a pm, but: my inbox was full, and didn't accept any NEW messages.

You could have posted in the D-ring thread,

or have written an email.

or could have just replied IN OUR PM CONVERSATION LIKE I DID AND EVERYBODY ELSE?

but no, you didn't. Thanks to you I got my first PayPal complaint IN 5 years.

Of course, this is your right as buyer. 

Sent from my C64 with tapatalk

Edited by Sonnenschein