My First Build Thread - AP Untrimmed Kit

Hi everyone so this is my first attempt at anything remotely close to this. But once I found out about the whole 501st initiative i knew I had to be a part of this and of course become a Stormtrooper. So here it goes.

I first got my kit back in February of this year but with work and chasing around a 2 year old the build kinda got put off. Now everything has kinda leveled off and it's nicer weather outside for me to build as my wife won't let me build in the house, I can finally begin this journey.

After going to my first local armor party over the passed weekend, and I have enough confidence in myself to start going a head on my own.

As the title states I went with the fully untrimmed kit from AP as I knew I would have a lot of trimming to do to fit my frame (5'4") so I thought this would be a good way for me to get use to the plastic. So I welcome all criticism may it be good or bad as it is the only way for me to do it right.post-18486-140003078685_thumb.jpg

This is what it looked like right out of the box. My first thought was, "Man it's going to be fun separating the kidney plate from the butt plate". But it must be done..just not right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cdn_fanboy

Looks like you're off to a good start, Bryan!

Slow and steady, you'll get there.

I'll be following your footsteps quite soon. I'll be building in between chasing my two year old, and trying to get done before the new one arrives in August! LoL

Good luck. ;)

Nice start! Tons of patience, and one piece at a time will get you there. I've been on my build just at a year.. Kids, work family - ya know the drill. Enjoy your build and ask lots of questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great start. Sorry I missed the Armour party. We have some great local help to assist you if you get stuck this summer. I am sure we will cross paths soon.

Update time.

So today I got a chance to work on my armor, and thanks to Mother Nature it was a short build day.

I did get started on my helmet (my most nervous part so far). I got the eyes and teeth cut out but without funds to purchase the needed tools only basic trimming will be done. post-18486-140052496384_thumb.jpg

I am currently in the process of trimming my teeth and I have looked at countless images on the frown. So my question is; do they all have to be the same cause I have noticed in some pictures the teeth on either side sometimes don't match. I am building towards Centurion so I thought I would ask as I know most of the helmets were hand made so I can't see every tooth being the exact same on both sides, so will this affect me when I go for Centurion? Thanks

Square out your teeth. Just step back and look at your teeth when cut out. If they look pretty even then you're good. They don't need to be mathematically perfect. I would trim out the eyes a bit more, though.

Hmm..it won't allow me to upload the picture of my face plate, keeps coming back " too big to upload" anyone know how to fix this? I don't have a computer (under repairs) so I am trying to use my iPhone. Thanks

Thanks! I'll check it out. I was unsure how much to take out and thought they needed to have some depth to them. Back to filing I go.

Finally, I got some time to work on my kit. With chasing a toddler around (another in October) and being limited to building outside as my basement is a kids zone, it's been tough finding time to build, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has these problems. But here's what I've done up till now;

Fixed the teeth on my face plate along with the eyes, it me they look fine for the most part just waiting on funds to complete the rest of the helmet. Also got my calves trimmed to were I wanted to get with the Dremmel, the rest till get with scissors and sandpaper, shoulders are also roughed trimmed along with my forearms.

Does anyone know of a build for short people 5'4"-5'5"? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to make this fit.

Well that's all I have to report now as not much else I have up dated.

0185369A-78DD-43C2-8CE5-37EFC4DC99C3_zps

Does anyone know of a build for short people 5'4"-5'5"? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to make this fit.

I cannot direct you to a build for short people... but I am 5'2'' and was able to get it to fit proportionately.

For me, the only modifications I needed were:

• Trimmed a small amount off the bottom of the shins.
  • Removed two or three inches off the top of the thighs while following the curvature of the armor.
  • Add tapered cover strips to the back of my thighs since I have a wider bottom than most men lol
  • Trimmed an inch off the kidney
  • Trimmed two inches (one inch on both sides) length wise from the biceps and still had to overlap them significantly
  • Trimmed an inch and half from the end of the forearm and added foam inserts.
  • Trimmed the hand plates to fit my hands exactly
  • Separated the cod from the abs, removed an inch and put it back together with abs paste and epoxy
  • Add shims to the abs to meet the kidney flush.

Good luck.

Edited by aicire