ANH E11: M38 vs. M19 preference?

Hey all,

Was just wondering which scope everyone prefers? I've seen most E11's from ANH with M38's, and I know most of the ESB's have M19's. However, I know both versions of the scopes were used, at least according to the website, The Parts of Star Wars. So since I want to go for Centurion with my E11 ANH, I was wondering what everyone used. I started an ESB build, and changed my mind midway (which is still salvagable, just need some additional parts), and I already have an M19 resin scope. I was thinking about just keeping it since it was used on some versions, as opposed to shelling out more money for a resin M38. I know the differences aren't HUGE between them or anything.

What are your thoughts on this, good or bad? Curious to what the community thinks.

scopes_compare_zpsaedab800.jpg

Quick Ref guide screen snip:

E11quickref_zpse08f7d62.png

Andy aka PlayfulWolfClub has done an excellent spreadsheet about all the different kind of combinaisons which appear on screen, just pick your choice. And many thanks to him!!

captur14.jpg

So yes, M19 are ANH screen-accurate unlike the wires...

Andy aka PlayfulWolfClub has done an excellent spreadsheet about all the different kind of combinaisons which appear on screen, just pick your choice. And many thanks to him!!

captur14.jpg

So yes, M19 are ANH screen-accurate unlike the wires...

Thanks! And all I can say is ZOMG :blink:

I think I'll stick with my M19, and just pickup a Hengstler from Pete/Striker. Waiting to hear back from Andy on the Power Cylinders to order. Then it's to wire, or not to wire, huh?

I dunno, I find this stuff wayyy more riveting than the conversations I have with coworkers or the emails I have to read! :P

Meh... I don't know. Boring conversation, anyway.

Anyway, back on track...... So, if the M19 was just as common as the M38, why does everyone use the M38? Is it frowned upon to use the 19?

Pretty sure my buddy has a real M19 which he was just going to give me for nothing, but I said no, cause I thought I needed a M38. Thinking I might go and get it from him!

I....am....beyond.....LOST. And you all are just loving it. :P

I think they're quoting Han's line from the movie. Debating whether it's "Boring conversation" or "Stupid conversation". When he blasts the radio on the desk.

Edit - Too late, Brian beat me.

Edited by Sith Lord

"Boring conversation anyway... LUKE! We are going to have company!"

Bazinga!

I had a feeling it was going to be a SW quote I forgot about that was going to make me look even more foolish. SIGH.

Hey Gaz, this thread was a fantastic idea. I've learned NOTHING about scope preferences!$!@%!

I think they're quoting Han's line from the movie. Debating whether it's "Boring conversation" or "Stupid conversation". When he blasts the radio on the desk.

Edit - Too late, Brian beat me.

You all are hereby under arrest for thread hijacking! Haha. Yea, that was a great scene though. Han really having no idea "how" to respond on the radio. Was hilarious. I kind of forgot that quote to be honest, I do remember some other ones that are more obscure. Go figure.

Anyway, back on track...... So, if the M19 was just as common as the M38, why does everyone use the M38? Is it frowned upon to use the 19?

Pretty sure my buddy has a real M19 which he was just going to give me for nothing, but I said no, cause I thought I needed a M38. Thinking I might go and get it from him!

I'm wondering the same. Almost EVERY single build I've seen for ANH uses an M38. Well guess what, since my build has been kind of mediocre anyways, I'm going with the M19, and NO wires on the Hengstler. That outta get some razzing. I'll just be happy if it comes out nice. If not, I always have my DLT 19 to fall back on. Wait, what?!

Get the M19! Awesomesauce!

I second this! A -real- M19 is better than any resin!

"Boring conversation anyway... LUKE! We are going to have company!"

That is probably correct for EIB, but for Centurion it would be "Boring conversation anyway. Luke! We're going to have company!"

LOL!

I'm wondering the same. Almost EVERY single build I've seen for ANH uses an M38. Well guess what, since my build has been kind of mediocre anyways, I'm going with the M19, and NO wires on the Hengstler. That outta get some razzing. I'll just be happy if it comes out nice. If not, I always have my DLT 19 to fall back on. Wait, what?!

I second this! A -real- M19 is better than any resin!

I think I might. It would be awesome to have a properly aligned see through scope!

And ditto to the great information above. I hadn't come across that before. That's prop making in the 70's on a budget, I guess. So many combinations. Throw together whatever you can with whatever you can get hold of.

I'd go for the M19 actually.

I think that a big reason that you see so many M38s is because that is what comes with the Doopydoos kit, for starters.

Secondly, if people are casting Hyperfirms, or just scopes in general, the smooth lines of the M38 are probably a little bit simpler to deal with. The extension on the right side of the M19 (this is all rampant speculation, as I've never pulled a mold) is probably slightly more difficult to deal with in that regard.

My .02, for what that's worth. :D

Edited by Dark CMF

So, the M19 turned out to be a resin, not real. Bummer!

scopes_compare_zpsaedab800.jpg

So, now I've got thinking - is it conceivable to convert a M38A2 to a regular M38. Assuming those pics are to scale would it just be a matter of putty/bondo to taper that mid section where the bracket is, and also to extend the front part to meet up with the front foot? Is that too far fetched or would bondo of some sort hold up ok?

I see this thread, but he hasn't molded the foot section. Would that be accpetable, or get canned for EIB/Centurion?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26213-m38-a2-scope-mod-advise-please/

Edited by Sith Lord