Kit Clarifications for my first build

Hello again, this is only my second post here but its gonna be a long one.

Ive always wanted a TK armor set since high school. Couldn't afford it of course. Joined the military. Was too busy and poor for the next 5 years. Started looking at armor again and had just finished the Republic Commando books and loved the art for that armor. Wanted to get a squad together. shucks happens. Guys dropped out, divorce, etc. Couldn't afford it again. Now I'm single and well enough off to spend a nice chunk of money on something I've dreamed about for 10 years.

Ive been doing the research about Kits for almost three years now. I know not to buy from eBay, shucks just looking at those I can see that most of them are commercial knockoffs. There are a few already build kits there, but I want an experience with my armor. I want to build it. I want to know it. So now that Ive saved up enough money to do whatever I want, Ive come here. And spending countless hours reading the threads I have discovered there are a lot of options. Ive emailed a few makers to get quotes and whatnot, but then I discovered the EIB. I want this to happen, I want to make a centurion suit. 

Here are my questions. Im looking at the different armors and whatnot and I would like to know what kit would be best for a centurion build. I know RS is super screen accurate but its also three times more expensive than ATA. Is it that much better? AP also looks like a good option and its a little closer to home and in between price wise. Are there other better suited kits for my specific goals?

I have all the confidence in the world as far as it comes to building and modding my own gear. No probe there. I am going to be attending Celebration in Los Angeles next year and hope to be a 501st Legion member by then. 

Body Size:

5'10" 

168 lbs

Edited by Jedisaber

From doing all my research over recent months and reading half the threads on here, an of those kits will be fine and excellent quality. I was also budge concious, so nearly went ATA (too long wait), nearly went AP (no reason why I didn't), ended up with MTK. Check out the build threads and you probably won't pick any faults with any of the kits mentioned.

All you have mentioned will pass for Centurion, it's just the extra details you have to add :D

Having not touched any armor yet, as I'm still on my waiting list, I'd advise you to go and look at the Centurion applications.  Pay attention particularly to the ones in the same style that you intend to build.  Do you know which style of TK you're going for yet?  In the Centurion applications, you'll see the armor type, helmet type, etc...  listed in the thread.

If you stick with any of the vetted armor makers that are listed in this "Getting Started" thread, you can't go wrong to begin with.  You'd also have to  read through the requirements for EIB/Centurion though, to make sure that you know what you should be buying/not buying in order to meet your goal of Centurion.  I'm doing the same thing right now, and although I know that I'll wind up spending more money than some other people have by the time that I'm completed with my armor, I know that I'm aiming for a Centurion-level build on my first attempt so spending a little bit more up front will save me from making costly upgrades later.

As Glen said, any of the vetted makers can be brought to EIB/Centurion level build quality.  Some may just require a very little bit more work than others.  At your size, you shouldn't have any problems with most of the kits that are available, I'd say.

Edited by Dark CMF

Hi Chris,

You are the perfect size for any armor. RS and TM,  being most accurate and costing more. I don't know why AP cost so much more than ATA, they are much alike and less accurate than RS and TM.  I would go with RS or TM if your budget allows.

As Glen said, all can be made level 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So i just got my email notification the other day that my kit is done. Ive had the helmet for a while but haven't started the build because i wanted to do the whole thing together. I plan to really get into after the holidays but want to see if there are some things you guys suggest to try and get before then. Like strapping kits, electronics, etc. Good people to get them from, etc. Thanks.

Check out the Commissary/PX here. There is a post that contains links to several items you can get up front. Trooperbay is also a good site to check out.

If it helps, here is what I have ordered and started to receive so far. As an FYI, I'm still 8 months out from getting up to the plate for my set of ATA armor.

Boots - TK Boots

Electronics - TK Products (aker amp, icom, wireless headset)

Electronics #2 - EAS Mics from Skyminer

Electronics #3 - Evilboy Helmet Fan kit

Belt - TKittell (off-white)

Neckseal - supplies from Jo-Ann Fabrics, hand made following Panda's tutorial, already finished.

Strapping - Strapworks.com

Gloves - Trooperbay

Holster - Trooperbay

Undersuit - Target (champion warm)

Rivets - Jacy-Cee Sales & Rivet

Magnets - K&J Magnetics

E-11 Blaster - on waiting list for DVH E-11 ANH pipe kit, scope decals from trooperbay, electronics for the skyone arduino build.

I am storing all the goods in what I hope will become my troop kit (heavy duty wheeled tote, I forget the size 30 gallon?). I will focus most of my attention on the E-11 build while I wait out the armor kit. I am also toying with laying out a camelback mod to put in hydration, but will not progress with that until I have the armor kit.

I hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I bought what I wanted based on reading several build threads and some of the tutorials. I have learned so far that strapping can either be screen accurate or based on your own comfort.

I looked at the screen strapping and didn't feel like my skills would be up to the task at hand. I have opted to go with webbing, which is much more familiar to me.

Either way, there are great resources here to keep you on track.

okay so after a little more research I have narrow a few items on my to buy list down. Thoughts on what you guys like better?

IComm

Evilboy Fan Kit OR Echo Fan Kit

Veedox Neck Seal

---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The only thing that even resembles anything you can buy that goes towards the strapping system is the webbing snap plates and the original metal bracket system that was used on the original suits. With either one, you will still need to fashion pretty much all your straps using either elastic, webbing , or both. There are few centurion requirements regarding strapping for the exception of visible hardware(side split rivets, male snap on the right side, crotch split rivet and crotch male snaps) the only strap that really shows is the one in the shoulder bells that goes around the bicep. This needs to be black and around 3/4 inch wide. The other important straps are the wider straps that connect the chest and back under the ribbed shoulder bridges. These need to be white and made from elastic or webbing. Elastic is more accurate. The straps that attach the shoulders to that white strap are black, and the straps that attach the drop boxes to the waist belt should be 3/4 white elastic. The rest of the interior strapping is really up to you how you want to do it. Just make sure everything except those chest to back shoulder straps are black.

Did I miss anything??

I think you've covered it well, Steve.

The other bit that I'll add is to go and read the EIB and Centurion application threads. In those threads, Troopers usually list out all of the stuff they're using, ie belt, electronics, boots, blaster, etc. Most of the stuff you're asking people to post already exists in there.

You can link directly to my EIB application using the link in my signature below.

Good luck!!