Thin RS Lids, Is This Normal?

So I received my RS TD in the mail today, I must admit that I feel like the helmet and the armor itself is quite thin. Some of the details appear to been clearly rushed through. I have to admit I expected a little more for the price I paid for this kit. I did have it completely assembled by RS not sure if they were rushing my order, or if this is standard procedure. i will post pictures momentarily.

Feed Back would be greatly appreciated. 

image_zpsb394a0e7.jpg

Compared to the JR lid, which weighs twice as much. 

The first thing i noticed was the mic-tips were super loose, and wobbly. i started to tighten, and the lid started making all kinds of cracking noises. it was the THIN ABS. basically very thin and flimsy. i then noticed the paint detail on the teeth. clearly outside the teeth area, and not covering the teeth in other spots. next I noticed the trap painting, black outline, just sloppy. The brow trim is offset. this is just what I've noticed in the five minutes I have had to inspect. 

I have been looking at near perfect builds here on FISD, so i was hoping for a bit nicer than this. 

I had sent in a detailed Reference for a specific Trooper to be replicated, and the weathering is,,, well almost correct. I will post that pic as well. 

I guess all in all, i had higher expectations than what was received. 

On a lighter note, it shipped from England yesterday, and was received today.... :huh:

Edited by Cantina Security

---------------

this was my reference...

In your opinion, does the weathering match?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/17/2014 at 1:00 AM, Cantina Security said:

Am I being too Critical?

No you're not. People dance around the holy RS props because... well they make an excellent product... but really few people say anything negative about them. It's a valid question. I've never held an RS before but my ATA is a little thin around the mic tips, but not anywhere else really. Maybe others can chime in on the durability of an RS helmet longer term.

On 1/17/2014 at 1:02 AM, Cantina Security said:

------------

this was my reference...

In your opinion, does the weathering match?

The weathering is all wrong. Go get some plastic polish and make that amror shiny ;) 

Nothing against Juan's TD... or Pandatrooper's image (which is all-time) I think you're better off using either screen captures or the various SWAT applications on mepd.net. I'm not a TD expert but the weathering looks a little too gray and sooty for my tastes. Maybe a post on MEPD would get you a more comprehensive answer.

-Eric

All helmets are a little thin around the mic tips. And your suit/helmet was probably made from 1.5 mm ABS rather than the 2 mm people seem used to from other vendors. That extra half mm makes a large difference in armour strength and flexibility. Making the thinner suit more flexible and less prone to cracks, but also a little more flimsy. But you are not supposed to play rugby in your suit, so you don't need the extra strength.

I realize that accurate armour may seem flimsy and weak. Especially to those that are used to thicker. But it will hold up just fine, and also be more comfortable to wear.

You can always add some abs paste or anything really, to the back of the mic tips to toughen up that area, and make sure to use washers as well.

All helmets are a little thin around the mic tips. And your suit/helmet was probably made from 1.5 mm ABS rather than the 2 mm people seem used to from other vendors. That extra half mm makes a large difference in armour strength and flexibility. Making the thinner suit more flexible and less prone to cracks, but also a little more flimsy. But you are not supposed to play rugby in your suit, so you don't need the extra strength.

I realize that accurate armour may seem flimsy and weak. Especially to those that are used to thicker. But it will hold up just fine, and also be more comfortable to wear.

You can always add some abs paste or anything really, to the back of the mic tips to toughen up that area, and make sure to use washers as well.

Thank You Loctius as well, no Rugby, and possibly Reinforce. 

Thank You Loctius as well, no Rugby, and possibly Reinforce. 

And stay out of bars or anywhere where you find drunk people. A buddy of mine had to order a new chest plate because his TE2 was punched and cracked by some dumb drunk guy. 

-Eric

And stay out of bars or anywhere where you find drunk people. A buddy of mine had to order a new chest plate because his TE2 was punched and cracked by some dumb drunk guy. 

-Eric

Right, that would be horrible.

On a side not though is that ABS takes punishment very differently than most HIPS, so your chest probably could handle it. But please don't try it out just to call me out on that statement.

I've seen other troopers with complete and WIP RS and I've noticed it can be thin in places. You could always try to reinforce it to combat potential damage.

My AP is ABS and has taken a couple cracks (one from sitting on a merry go round) and I've been able to patch it back up.

To me, RS just looks so freaking good. The RS next to your other helmet is hands down the winner by sight. At least to me.

I have been trooping in complete RS armor since 08.2013 and have been very happy with both the durability and wearability. (TK | ABS | 1.5mm)

The service from the shop have been good and the reponse time has improved greatly over time.

Feel free to PM me with any questions as I have addressed minor/major stress cracks as well as other challenges/damage that occur while trooping. (Tight Hug :rolleyes: )  

Yes It does Look good. I am all for durability as well, I think i may be over reacting a bit, so ,I will post some pics later of the kit installed.

Oh, Yeah By The Way... I was approved into the legion the other day...YAYYY :D   CT20421...yeah baby....

Yes It does Look good. I am all for durability as well, I think i may be over reacting a bit, so ,I will post some pics later of the kit installed.

Oh, Yeah By The Way... I was approved into the legion the other day...YAYYY :D   CT20421...yeah baby....

I know the feeling with over reacting. There's a sense of anticipation and the hype around the maker/vendor, and then if you see any sort of imperfection, you feel let down.

It's happened to me as well.

Wait am I talking about a prop builder or the prequels? ;)

Anyway congrats on the approval! Wear it proudly and kick butt!

On a side not though is that ABS takes punishment very differently than most HIPS, so your chest probably could handle it. But please don't try it out just to call me out on that statement.

He's just saying that because he likes hanging out in bars wearing his armor.

-Eric

RS is made from 1.5 mm ABS which is prop accurate.

All helmets are thin around the mic tips.

I know from experience you will feel you have to treat it like glass, but pretty soon you realize the thin stuff is amazing and flexible and works great.

My TD is an RS and it is thin, but that is prop accurate and it is surprisingly comfortable because of it (compared to my FX, or 2mmm CFO, or the 2-3mm Clone)

My TM is also 1.5 mm and I love the light, flexible nature of it.

You are not supposed to be doing accrobatics in it :P

yeah, it is more comfortable than even my Shock Trooper, or my JR for that matter. Fits better too, with the exception of my neck, i may need to trim the neck line a bit. Also the helmet seems to want to sit on my shoulders. maybe more padding? 

IMAG2932_zps60f0bd2c.jpg

IMAG2930_zps2c254c6b.jpg

IMAG2929_zps94dc3337.jpg

IMAG2928_zps400a1faf.jpg

IMAG2926_zpsc053d5f3.jpg