Mars TK NE Build

Hi Everyone, I'm starting this thread since this is my first time building anything in my life, and I will be asking plenty of questions. I just received my NE armor today, I'm skipping taking a photo of the brown box and spreading the armor around (unless is mandatory, which seems to be as every other post start with the pic of the brown box). Thanks in advance for all your help

Edited by Marspeak

Hey Alex: First, you have the forearms listed backwards. The one pictured on the right is the left forearm. The easiest way to keep this straight is to look at the finish strip ridge that is molded into the forearms. That should be on the top. Yes, the one half for some reason is much longer than the other. Why I don't know. Trim the finish ridge portion first trimming each side down to 7MM making the total finish ridge close to 15mm when the halves are put together. Then tape the ridge side together and fit it to your forearm making sure it is comfortable but not too snug and that you can get your hand out. You will find that there will be quite a bit of material overlapping on the underside of your forearm. This is normal. Find a common line in the center of the overlap, mark it then use a straight edge to connect the marks. This will be your final cut line.

You will inevitably need to do some tweeking and honing to the parts to get everything lined up. It comes with armor building. Have fun!!!!!

Edited by gazmosis

Alex, I'm doing an NE build myself.  Here are what my forearms look like with the return edge removed on the wrist end:

sTWD8Fu.jpg

I later cut out the return edge where the molded indents are as well on those first two pieces - there at the top middle.  You'll understand what I'm referring to when you look at the return edges.

I also completely removed the return edge on the inner forearm pieces at the elbow end:

GyyQBU4.jpg

And I trimmed down the outer pieces' return edges at the elbow end about half of what they are.  I can take photos of that if you need them, but I didn't take any originally.

Here is where I found the common line on the front molded edge, then measured 7mm back and placed my metal ruler on that line (held in place with earth magnets)

Mwr507b.jpg

After that, I scored down the ruler with an xacto knife and did a bend and snap on the line:

7qWmy5l.jpg

I did the same on the other joining part, and here's the result:

N3gQS6L.jpg

And here's an example of what it looks like with the 15mm finishing strip laid down over this seam:

0TsE3wc.jpg

Once you have the front done, you'll need to do like Steve said and get the pieces wrapped around your forearm, find the common center, and cut the excess away.

When you're ready to glue the finishing strips on, line up the forearms at the elbow end and cut the excess off at the wrist end.  All of the excess should be on the pieces without the molded indents.  Then you can put the pieces together and glue down the finishing strips.

Good luck with your build and I'll try to chime in when I have some info for you!

Edited by maxsteele

Ok so currently I'm gluing forearms and biceps, so while I wait for the E6000 to cure( I'll post photos when I think I'm finished), I want to start setting up the shins. Posted below is how I think a shin is  supposed to be oriented. I'm I right or just completely lost? I haven't trim anything yet. Also do I take the return edge from the bottom only? BTW thanks to all the ppl that replied about the forearms, it was a lot of help

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

What you will notice with the shins is there is a greater inward curve toward the bottom of the piece for the inner piece.  In your case, you can see that the piece on the right has the greater inward curve.  That would be an inner piece.

There's a noticeable molded ridge for both pieces that indicate the front seams.  Again, with your picture, you have the molded ridge on the piece on the left, and the piece on the right.  That means these two pieces together are a front piece, and with the inner piece having more of a curve, together that makes it the right shin.

Here is what the left shin looks like:

Zh8IPQ7.jpg

And here is my right shin after I trimmed the front pieces:

n1My4gp.jpg

As for the return edge, you want to at least remove the return edge at the bottom of the shins, because that is where the shins will come in contact with the boots.  If you leave the return edge, they will dig into your boots and cause grooves in them.

As for the return edge at the top, it is suggested to keep it, but it's up to you whether you want to trim it down or remove it completely.  It becomes a matter of  comfort.   Here are my shin pieces with the bottom return edge removed:

YJP7517.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this starts coming down to where the pieces are comfortable for you to wear.  I haven't glued them yet, but I've cut down my forearms, and they certainly fit closer than yours do.  I also have very small forearms / wrists compared to yours.  It looks like your left forearm has more space than your right?  The right forearm is looking like a nice fit to me.  Here's my cut forearms for comparison:

JR27Xpjh.jpg

XxrLQJqh.jpg

fiuv6MGh.jpg

90bMN7wh.jpg

MfVaZexh.jpg

It's also a good idea to see how the fit is with your undersuit and gloves on.

The forearms look sized right, but the biceps are too big for your arms. When you trimmed the biceps, trim the parts equally. I can tell the inner joints  were trimmed and not the outer.  If you need a pic I can post one up of NE biceps. 

I was busy during the thanksgiving weekend and was able to assemble most of my armor. Here are some pics, please let me know what needs to be fix, I'm going for basic approval first. I was not wearing the neck seal, I need to finish my gloves and need place mesh on lid and re-paint the tube stripes, otherwise please point out any other flaws.

IMG_1011_zps6638eded.jpgIMG_1010_zps3846029e.jpgIMG_1009_zps6a8fc6c1.jpg

IMG_1008_zps63edaac5.jpg

IMG_1007_zps8dcb50d7.jpg

IMG_1006_zps7cf3f227.jpg

Looking good, I would bring your thighs up a little and also shortend the gap on your shoulder bells, good luck on approval :D

Good job, maybe the nicer NE i've seen so far!

On a couple of things you could improve:

- i'd trim the bottom of the right side on the ab plate. On your pic there's a piece of ABS pointing out, i don't know what it is but i would cut it.

- As Glen said, shorten the strap between your shoulder bells and shoulder bridges and the shoulder gap should become closer.

- Even basic approvals need handguards  ^_^

Then, things which would ask more work:

- I would resize you right biceps in particular. (see on your right side arms raised pic how much room you got right now)

- And reduce the elbow gap. it's better to have a wrist gap than an elbow gap.

To do so, you can add strapping between the biceps and the forearms:

dscf2010.jpg

And if the strapping isn't enought, instead of fitting the biceps inside the shoulder bells, you can place them one on the other:

vlcsna10.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

I do this along with the strapping to keep the forearms, biceps and shoulder bells as "one whole piece" XD Just some simple gaffa tape.

I saw someone do this on one of my troops.

WP_20131203_23_14_05_Pro_zps6fb8e61e.jpg\

For a better way to do this though, I'd recommend SImpixel's thread on crafting a bicep strap hook with just scrap pastic.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/37-howto-create-a-bicep-strap-hook/

I am by no means an expert, so please do not take my word as final!

Looking at your build, I would try to lower the chest plate.  It seems to be sitting a little too high on the ab plate, and could cause an issue with the top of the ab plate popping out from under the bottom of the chest.  It looks like you could bring the bottom of the chest piece down to half-way between the top of the ab and the top of the button plate.  I agree with SCTrooper that the diameter of the biceps are rather big.  You want them to fit comfortably when you flex, but unless you have some large biceps when you flex, those could come in some more.

Forearms look good!  You really brought in those gaps and they fit nice.

There is a flared piece on each side of the chest plate that you are safe to remove.  I think I see it on yours still.  Here is the part you can remove:

2hqw7FT.jpg