Recast or not?

Have 2 FX helmets, been working on one (Right one) but under further investigation I am noticing that the one I'm working on does not have as many sharp edges as the one to the left (The frown for example). I have been looking them over for ever and can not tell if one of them (or both) is a recast or not. 

So I desperately need all the help I can get because I am still very new to this stuff....

Thank you...

Here is a Hi-rez image.

http://i.imgur.com/m31UjkF.jpg

• Like 1

You have two FX (recast or not) helmets, and they are both outdated and widely considered ugly. That's why you're suggested to replace them with something more accurate.

I recently tried to buy one from Scootch for 260.00, but when I got it last week my head would not fit and the teath were off center, had to send it back, not sure what he was thinking sending me that helmet. Plus when I sent it back, he later told me he does not do refunds, I hope this does not get ugly, still waiting to see how it goes. Now I have no idea where to get a good helmet from, plus I have a trust issue with shady people trying to offload bad helmets on this site.

Scootch is a really good guy. If you get the helmet back you should post some pictures of your problems and we can help you fix them. There is no reason your head should not fit. Remember that you have to put it on sideways and then twist it back into position. It's not a symmetrical helmet just like the originals are not, because they were hand sculpted and what scootch sold you has origins back to the originals.

He was really cool at first, I thought the conversation went well, but then he got a little wierd on me, perhaps too many questions on my part because I am new to this and was requesting a ready built helmet. I do know about getting in the helmet sideways, that was not the problem, the problem was that it felt like it was for a child. I hope he does not send or refuse the helmet because this has already cost me allot, plus he never stated no refunds till after the fact and that got me quite upset.

Just work with him. There are some things you can do even with a finished helmet to make it fit. Butit will always be tight between your nose and the helmet. That's normal. The neck opening can be opened up a little, and the face plate can be angled differently to make more room.

Worst case scenario you get a nice looking display helmet.

You can't compare the size of an FX with a CAP, AP, ect... It's made alot bigger. All of these helmet will be tight on you, I have had the same experience. But, you will get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The FX helmet is HUGE compared to a real screen accurate helmet (or screen accurate replica; ie ATA, Scootch, AP, TE, TE2, etc). That, combined with a lot of other details, are why FX helmets are now considered junk. The increasing availability of very accurate helmets and armor has relegated FX stuff to the trash heap. A full FX armor kit used to cost around $600 with a helmet. For that price you sacrificed accuracy and detail for affordability. Nowadays you can get a set of VERY accurate armor with a helmet for just a little bit more, and you have your choice of makers to deal with.

Another thing you may not realize (from your post above) is that the original helmets are NOT AT ALL symetrical. Things are crooked and wonky looking because the original molds from the movies were hand sculpted. Accurate reproduction helmets carry all the same traits because they are ACCURATE. Scootch's helmets are considered to be some of the best available, so I highly doubt there was a problem with the product (especially if it was a finished helmet). It may just be that you have a problem with the way you're perceiving the product.

The two helmets you have cannot be compared to a CAP-W (Scootch) helmet. You're basically trying to compare a Pontiac Aztec to a Bugati Veyron. As everyone else has stated in here and in other threads that you've posted, do some research to learn about stormtrooper helmets BEFORE you buy. Everything you need to know about stormtrooper helmets can be found here and here. Do your research before you spend anymore money, and hopefully if/when your Scootch helmet comes back to you, you'll be better equipped to appreciate it.

Edited by Peaches_DC

I was actually comparing the helmet to an eFX ANH one that a friend of mine has, not so much the FX helmets I have, although I understand that the original helmets run small, the scootch helmet that was delivered was really tight an all four sides, and had to be pushed down for my eyes to reach the eyes of the helmet. As far as the screen imperfections and off center teeth are concerned as screen accurate, I don't understand for the need to reproduce artists flaws that could otherwise be corrected, although I do think the helmets screen accurate bumps are cool, off center teeth look bad in my opinion. I wish that I had the foresight to have taken a picture of this thing before I shipped it back, but that was before I knew he might give me problems. I also don't see why he would not give me a refund? I mean I understand I have to pay for shipping both ways (32.00) and I have no problem with that, but why not mention a thing like that before you accept the money, why not stand behind you're product if you're so good and have a reputation, just saying? Anyway I notice lots of posts mention to get an ATA helmet but after searching for an hour or so I found lots of reviews but I still have no idea of how to contact ATA to buy stuff, can someone please provide a link or email or something.

Edited by ocsurfreport

HERE is a link to one of the most important threads in the forum.

The eFX helmet is another one that is very sub-par. It takes a lot of modifications just to be acceptable for the 501st because its not a true representation of a screen-accurate helmet. The reason that the "flaws" in the originals are reproduced by the artists that sell their work here is because the entire goal of the 501st and the prop makers is to be as SCREEN-ACCURATE as possible. That's essentially the whole goal here. That's why FX armor is now frowned upon. For a long time FX was all that was readily available, but there are now several good, hard-working people that have put a TON of time and effort in to changing that for the 501st. Now there are several choices for great armor out there, and the Legion has moved away from accepting the less accurate costumes.

As far as your refund, that's between you and him. I seriously doubt that Scootch sent you a defective product. I'm not really sure what you mean when you say that the "teeth weren't centered". My only real question is this: Did you contact him about these "problems" before sending it back, or did you mail it back and then contact him? To me it seems like you did the latter, which would explain your frustration when he told you that he doesn't give refunds / accept returns. As far as size goes... you must have an enormous head if it didn't fit into his helmet. Were there pads inside? If so, remove them.

You need to spend a lot of time looking around these forums. There are a ton of examples of Scootch's buckets on here, maybe you can use a picture of someone else's to demonstrate the issues you're having. The search button is your friend.

As far as your refund, that's between you and him. I seriously doubt that Scootch sent you a defective product. I'm not really sure what you mean when you say that the "teeth weren't centered". My only real question is this: Did you contact him about these "problems" before sending it back, or did you mail it back and then contact him? To me it seems like you did the latter, which would explain your frustration when he told you that he doesn't give refunds / accept returns. As far as size goes... you must have an enormous head if it didn't fit into his helmet. Were there pads inside? If so remove them.

There was padding inside, and obviously I did remove it, still did not fit, (also please stop assuming I am stupid) I have regular head and not a huge head, don't really know how to explain off center other then off center, as in the center tooth cut was to the right or left of center on the head. Also now that you mention it the refund issue is not just between me and him, but has to do with everyone who otherwise might be interested in purchases from this forum and general code of conduct and trust between members and new people like me on such maters, and "Sorry I don't do refunds, put it on ebay" I believe is not only washing your hands of it and not standing by you're product, but pretty much telling me to go F### myself on top of it. To put it in contrast I also bought a icomm and voice amp from James on TKProducts and he is a shining example of a great person to deal with as a seller on the forum, with full suport and all around nice guy who stands by his product.

Also here is the messages and timeline, as you can see I did tell him I will be sending it back first, and I made no complaints about esthetics just the size, never got a reply after the last part, so I will wait and see what he decides to do.

------------------------------------------------------

Sent 18 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hello Scott,

I just got the helmet, and as nice as it is, I can't fit my head in it. I removed the padding but only managed to squeeze in and I definitely wont be able to use it for trooping, so I'm afraid that I have to return this to you.

Sent 19 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Sorry I don't do refunds, put it on ebay

Sent 20 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

Scootch, on 19 Oct 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Sorry I don't do refunds, put it on ebay

Hello Scot,

Perhaps you can make an exemption for me, because I sent out earlier today, please note that I understand I have to cover shipping for both ways. Plus you never really said anything about no refunds to begin with, might have been nice to disclose this information.

ups Tracking number ##############

I really would appreciate your help with this.

Thanks...

------------------------------------------------------

Thanks....

Edited by ocsurfreport

Reselling a piece of electronics that is mass produced is a lot easier enabling someone give refunds on, than a helmet that is to be considered "custom made". You can't really get refunds for a tailored suit either for the very same reason.

Get your helmet back, post some pictures and we'll work together to see what your issues are and what to do about them. In the meantime I suggest you keep reading so that you'll learn what you are getting yourself into.

This is a comparison picture between my AP and eFX helmet.

Eric

photo_zps9e945262.jpg

Appreciate the picture for size, I see what you mean by size especially on the sides, but when I try to put my head in the efx helmet my i was swimming in it, so the one you have might just be right.

Here is a picture that scotch provided for me for style when I was asking for completed helmet, but please note that I have no idea if this is the one I actually got. As you can see it doesn't look half bad, I requested hero for the one i got so the eyes were green bouble style and the frown was lower. I just wish there was pnother helmet there for size comparison.

http://m.imgur.com/FVo4Qte

Reselling a piece of electronics that is mass produced is a lot easier enabling someone give refunds on, than a helmet that is to be considered "custom made". You can't really get refunds for a tailored suit either for the very same reason.

Get your helmet back, post some pictures and we'll work together to see what your issues are and what to do about them. In the meantime I suggest you keep reading so that you'll learn what you are getting yourself into.

The helmet I got was already built, he did not make one for me, because he stated he did not have his order in.

Either way, you got what you paid for. Now try to get it back so we can help you.

Buying props like these is like a black market, and while we all want it to go smoothly and not have people screwed over, there really isn't  many rules or fine print.

Either way, you got what you paid for. Now try to get it back so we can help you.

Buying props like these is like a black market, and while we all want it to go smoothly and not have people screwed over, there really isn't  many rules or fine print.

I understand your point, I do but he and everyone else should make it clear about the refund/return policy before excepting orders or otherwise, i also think since you are an administrator perhaps you can make it site policy for selling/buying? Not to require refunds/returns just that you have to state it either way. 

Also come to think of it there is nothing custom about a helmet they are all supposed to look the same, it's not like I bought on AUDI with custom package 1, 2 4 and 6 and had the color burgundy with red leather, it's a helmet that is supposed to be screen accurate the same time around all the time. 

Also come to think of it there is nothing custom about a helmet they are all supposed to look the same, it's not like I bought on AUDI with custom package 1, 2 4 and 6 and had the color burgundy with red leather, it's a helmet that is supposed to be screen accurate the same time around all the time.

Man, that is possible in this hobby. No helmet looks exactely like another one. The differences can be found in height of the brow, attachement of the ears, seam at the eyes, paint job, etc. Good armor makers will ask you if you want the recreation of a specific helmet and well informed buyers ask for this service.

Nevertheless I think that this communication problem is very sad and you should have been informed about not beeing able to return the product before you paid for it.

Man, that is possible in this hobby. No helmet looks exactely like another one. The differences can be found in height of the brow, attachement of the ears, seam at the eyes, paint job, etc. Good armor makers will ask you if you want the recreation of a specific helmet and well informed buyers ask for this service.

Nevertheless I think that this communication problem is very sad and you should have been informed about not beeing able to return the product before you paid for it.

Thanks for the support, and to be honest it's not just that he did not mention it, but the way he stated no refunds "Sorry I don't do refunds, put it on ebay" that really got me!

Edited by ocsurfreport