ANH Stunt - NE - First Build - WIP - Pic Heavy

I would like to attach the snap plates to the chest and back for the shoulder strapping system, but I'm not sure of the exact best placement... I have been performing forum searches all morning without being able to find an exact photo or explanation that will give me the confidence to move forward.  

Any advice?  Should I tape the chest and upper back together, and see how that fits?

Also, in my strapping kit there were 2 white velcro straps included.  Should these be used on the shoulders under the bridges?  I see some troopers on the FISD using black strapping in this area...  I would like to do this area "right" as it is highly visible, and being near the helmet will end up being a focal point for onlookers...

That's how I did mine - taped the 2 together first to get a good fit, then made the elastic straps to measure. Once that was hanging good, glued the plastic should bridges on to make sure they covered the elastic

White velcro straps included would either be the shoulder (generally 2inch), or to hang the drop boxes (generally 1inch)

Now that you mention it, those white velcro pieces are almost certainly for the drop boxes.  I stopped by our 24 hour Walmart after the movie and was able to pick up some 1" nylon webbing in white and black. As well as some Dritz 1.5" Non-roll Elastic.  I'm not certain this is what I'll want to use, but how do you argue with $2.77?  

As for the sizing.  Your concept to work from the Cod up makes so much sense.  Off course, I didn't re-read your suggestion until after I had done a bit of taping.  So, just for fun, here are some pics of my chest and back taped together. 

14086989954_d44df07c30_q.jpgIMAG5148 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

14083310061_2d516613f9_q.jpgIMAG5157 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

13899898969_cc3475f4c2_q.jpgIMAG5156 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

14086990014_80970cb5f7_q.jpgIMAG5149 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

More work (and hopefully updates) tomorrow. Goodnight friends...

So, after a more proper fitting (thanks for the tips Maxsteele), I have come to realize that the shape of my upper back is not suitable for my frame without a bit of reshaping.  It may be difficult to see in this photo, but the top of the upper back (where the shoulder bridges would cover) curve too soon and dig into my shoulder blades.  I will do some searching through the forums for someone who has encountered this issue before, but I will also post some pics here hoping it will get some "eyes on it"...

If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated...

14091346294_483a307bca_q.jpgIMAG5178 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

14067788106_132c484b75_q.jpgIMAG5177 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

14091346614_8e242f0fa7_q.jpgIMAG5174 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I hope this isn't a "deal breaker" for this set of armor.  I hope I can make a mod that will keep it 501st worthy...  :-/

So, I see from other builds that everyone with the NE is trimming the cod and under side of the butt plate down, but I'm not sure how they are arriving at the measurements for a proper trim.  I read in one build thread that the cod should be trimmed to be even with the joint where the kidney and ab plate meet.  Based on this I am planning on trimming to the pencil line.  

Does this seem right?

13912140288_4722e80f6a_q.jpgIMAG5182 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Also, when everything is fitted together on me the underside of the butt plate is no where near the end of where I think the cod should be.  Any advice, or a link to a tutorial on bringing these parts closer together would be appreciated.  Thanks!

14098733285_aba62ea579_q.jpgIMAG5181 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

Finally, it seems like I should trim out the cod and the kidney plate where this pencil mark is.  Does this seem right?

13912124700_1f415a7a86_q.jpgIMAG5183 by bobby_whalen, on Flickr

I eyeballed how others have cut the cod and butt plate.  I also posted here with my cut marks to get opinions.  After people said what they thought was good, I cut on the lines I drew.  Here's my cutting.

Here's how much I cut on the cod piece:

A2Afumq.jpg

Here's how much I cut off the butt plate:

WB1QKz7.jpg

And here's how I cut the top and bottom sides of the ab:

JpxejKR.jpg

4et1bOS.jpg

The bottom doesn't really line up between the ab and the cod.  That doesn't matter too much.  Make the top line up.  That's where it counts.

Edited by maxsteele

I haven't connected my cod and butt yet.

Here are the two lines I had drawn originally, and when asked, I had the suggestion of cutting between the two lines.  I had cut the bottom line, but then I cut between the two:

f8wgbRv.jpg

I haven't connected my cod and butt yet.

Here are the two lines I had drawn originally, and when asked, I had the suggestion of cutting between the two lines.  I had cut the bottom line, but then I cut between the two:

f8wgbRv.jpg

Awesome, thanks!

post-13481-139933783666_thumb.jpg

So, I learned a big lesson. Never use the snaps from Hobby Lobby. They do not hold very well. As a result the inside of my armor now has a ton of unusable snap plates. The snaps were just popping open with almost no tension....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Did you heat bend your butt plate?  It's wrapping around your body nicely.  I'd like mine to sit that way. :)

The spacing in the back looks good too.  You'll want to black out that undersuit logo on the back.

Also - try some pics with your arms up on the left and right side so we can see how the ab and kidney plates join together.

You can take off the flashing on either side of the chest piece:

2hqw7FT.jpg

Did you heat bend your butt plate?  It's wrapping around your body nicely.  I'd like mine to sit that way. :)

The spacing in the back looks good too.  You'll want to black out that undersuit logo on the back.

Also - try some pics with your arms up on the left and right side so we can see how the ab and kidney plates join together.

You can take off the flashing on either side of the chest piece:

2hqw7FT.jpg

Thanks for checking in on me!  I have some pics with my arms raised.  I'll post them in a few minutes.  As for that flashing, that goes?  Hmmm, what's worse, leaving the flashing or having the chest end that much further forward?  I was sort of liking where it is ending right now.  However, if it's just plain wrong to have that flashing there, then I will obviously lose it :-)

Max, thank goodness for you.  You've really been helping me push through these last few things.  I really appreciate it! I need to head back to your thread and see if you've got any updates.  I always look forward to those.

As you wish, sir.... Here are the arms raised shots. I actually left the flashing on the ab and kidney plates as well. I see that most people remove those, but I was thinking I might leave them. If I am reading the CRL correctly, it doesn't really say that they need to be removed. The language is more about there being little or no gap. Leaving them helps with this as I am a little chubby in that region...

What do you think?

post-13481-139934788313_thumb.jpgpost-13481-139934790647_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will start working on my thighs. The search function wasn't working for me, so I gave up and went to bed.

Maxsteele, you mentioned that you thought the butt plate was a good shape. I feel like it should curve under more. Look at how mis-aligned the cod and butt are... Any thoughts?