Bass Amsterdam conversion

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking so, have the finisher ready but plan on checking how they look with my armor shins.

Ā 

The size is 11.5 US.Ā  I have a wide food so usually wear an 11 EE, but Bass has no wide sizes for this boot, but the 11.5 fits my wide flat foot really well.

Okey dokey...:-)

Soren, did you put the finisher on the elastic inserts on your or just the leather parts?

Actually I did not use the finisher at all:-).... I do not know how much difference it makes....

It doesn't show too well, but the finisher adds a nice glossiness.

Ā 

bth_finisher.jpg?t=1378083945

Ā 

Ā 

And a try on, I need to work on the shins and they are riding high cause I could not wait for the finisher to fully dry to see how it all looked. :)

Ā 

bth_IMG_1520.jpg

I bought these same boots and will start the whitening process soon. Ā I have some questions!

Ā 

- Did you use the same Angelus white paint for the elastic pieces? Ā How many coats on those parts?

Ā 

- Where did you get the Angelus paint from?

Ā 

- What type of brush did you use?

Ā 

- How long did you wait in-between application layers?

Ā 

- How did you use the acetone? Ā Do you rub it on, then rub it off, or do you rub it on, let it sit for a period of time, and then rub it off?

Edited by maxsteele

Hi Ron,

Ā 

I got the Angelus from Amazon, it was easier than checking the local hobby shops or shoe places as I was able to just order it from work.Ā 

Ā 

I did use the same paint on the elastic and the leather it took 6 coats for both, however on the leather I used a pretty light hand and on the elastic you need to go a bit heavier.Ā  The first three coats the elastic really soaks up the paint.Ā  By the end I still have more than half of a 4oz bottle left

Ā 

For the most part I used a 1/2 inch art brush and used a smaller detail brush for the harder to get areas in the seams.Ā  The half inch gave good control and did not take too long to do the whole boot about 20 minutes to complete a full coat on each boot.

Ā 

For the application between layers you could likely go as soon as 20 minutes in between but for me it took about three days, I'd do a coat before heading to work and then another when I got home.

Ā 

With the acetone I applied it directly to a paper towel and then immediately scrubbed the boot.Ā  I'd keep up in an area until I stopped getting black on the paper towel.Ā  Towards the end I found that a well soaked towel would really strip away fast, I think I was a bit too conservative at the start.Ā  I got a quart container and still have plenty left after stripping the pair.

Ā 

Also I do recommend good tape, I used the green frog stuff and it came off like a dream with very few areas I had to carefully razor to make sure it did not pull paint with it.

Ā 

Hope this helps and let me know if there was anything I missed.

Ron.

I did almost exactly what Brent did, including using Angelus on the entire boot, including the elastic parts. You could however use fabric dye/paint for those parts, but I find that Angelus does the job well enough.

Edited by SorenM

Hi Ron,

Ā 

I got the Angelus from Amazon, it was easier than checking the local hobby shops or shoe places as I was able to just order it from work.Ā 

Ā 

I did use the same paint on the elastic and the leather it took 6 coats for both, however on the leather I used a pretty light hand and on the elastic you need to go a bit heavier.Ā  The first three coats the elastic really soaks up the paint.Ā  By the end I still have more than half of a 4oz bottle left

Ā 

For the most part I used a 1/2 inch art brush and used a smaller detail brush for the harder to get areas in the seams.Ā  The half inch gave good control and did not take too long to do the whole boot about 20 minutes to complete a full coat on each boot.

Ā 

For the application between layers you could likely go as soon as 20 minutes in between but for me it took about three days, I'd do a coat before heading to work and then another when I got home.

Ā 

With the acetone I applied it directly to a paper towel and then immediately scrubbed the boot.Ā  I'd keep up in an area until I stopped getting black on the paper towel.Ā  Towards the end I found that a well soaked towel would really strip away fast, I think I was a bit too conservative at the start.Ā  I got a quart container and still have plenty left after stripping the pair.

Ā 

Also I do recommend good tape, I used the green frog stuff and it came off like a dream with very few areas I had to carefully razor to make sure it did not pull paint with it.

Ā 

Hope this helps and let me know if there was anything I missed.

Ā 

Thanks for the answers!

Ā 

Did you put the paint on directly, or did you mix water into it first?

No problem Ron.Ā  I went straight from bottle to boot with the paint, no dilution at all.Ā  My understanding is if you use an airbrush you'll need to dilute the paint but with brushes you are good to go as soon as you get the botte.

No problem Ron.Ā  I went straight from bottle to boot with the paint, no dilution at all.Ā  My understanding is if you use an airbrush you'll need to dilute the paint but with brushes you are good to go as soon as you get the botte.

Ā 

Sounds good. Ā I ordered my 4 oz white bottle today from dharmatrading.com . Ā Decent price too.

Edited by maxsteele

I'd like the Deployment officer to chime in with his opinion on these boots.

Ā 

the toe, and the shape of the elastic panel look a little off to me?

Ā 

can the DO reply with the proper boot to purchase for a centurion build?

Ā 

thanks in advance phil!

Ā 

PM sent

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Also, I'd like to know if these Amsterdam boots will pass for basic 501st approval? Ā If I go for EIB or Centurion, I'm more than happy to find and purchase boots that will be approved at that level, but I need to find out if these will work for 501st approval before I start painting them. Ā If they don't, then I need to send them back and get a refund. Ā If they do pass for base 501st approval, I'd like to get started painting them as soon as possible.

Also, I'd like to know if these Amsterdam boots will pass for basic 501st approval? Ā If I go for EIB or Centurion, I'm more than happy to find and purchase boots that will be approved at that level, but I need to find out if these will work for 501st approval before I start painting them. Ā If they don't, then I need to send them back and get a refund. Ā If they do pass for base 501st approval, I'd like to get started painting them as soon as possible.

Not being even close to be the DO, my opinion really does not count, but eventhough I feel pretty confident that they meet the basic requirements:

"White leather or leather-like, above ankle height, with a flat sole with a short heel, and small U-shaped elastic sections on both sides of the ankle with no buckles or laces. Jodhpur/Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable. Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed."

Ā 

For EIB and CEN....not really sure....

Not being even close to be the DO, my opinion really does not count, but eventhough I feel pretty confident that they meet the basic requirements:

"White leather or leather-like, above ankle height, with a flat sole with a short heel, and small U-shaped elastic sections on both sides of the ankle with no buckles or laces. Jodhpur/Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable. Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed."

Ā 

For EIB and CEN....not really sure....

Ā 

I posed the question to my (soon to be) local garrison GML, and he said he would approve them for 501st entry. Ā Is that all I need?

My GML has also given initial approval on these boots for 501st basic.Ā  So the EIB and Centurion status still is a question mark.

Ā 

Gotcha. Ā If I'm held back from EIB on just my shoes, I'm alright with that for my first build. Ā I believe these shoes will pass EIB, and may not pass for Centurion. Ā 

Ā 

If my GML's approval is all that is required, then I'll start painting my boots tonight!

Like I said.."as far as I know..."... So not promising anything....:-)..,but I think you are right.....I am pretty confident that basic approval is no problem at all.....

Considering there really is no way toget TK boots at this current point I would certainly hope there would be some latitude at least on basic approval.

Agreed, but there are, even if they are a lot more expensive, better alternatives than the Bass Amsterdam.......:-)...

I did receive confirmation that my GML will approve the Bass Amsterdam boots for base 501st approval.

Ā 

I would love if these boots passed EIB, but if they don't, then I'll have to wait for that until I get boots that do pass for EIB.

Ā 

Just like an armor build thread, I'm going to start my own Bass Amsterdam conversion thread. Ā I've started on the process and it's pretty cool. :)