Bass Amsterdam conversion

Inspired by Soren's excellent threads showing his great work converting boots I figured I'd share my own progress.  Probably will pale in comparison to his :)

Before working on these I wore them for 2 days to break them in and partially create the wear creases.  I have a wide flat foot and usually wear a, US, 11 Wide.  Bass has no wides for the Amsterdam but the 11.5 fits really well, no tightness across the foot at all.  In general these are really comfortable boots for less than $80, I could see maybe adding an insole for added cushion but after standing in them for most of a day my feet felt fine. Hopefully they are durable too.  Anyway started last night, here are the shots:

Stock before the Acetone treatment

bth_Stock.jpg?t=1377737879

Here is one done and one not, you can see how the shine is gone for a nice matte look

bth_half.jpg?t=1377740044

Here are both stripped down

bth_Acetonedone.jpg?t=1377743513

Now with tape

bth_Tape.jpg?t=1377753066

And finally the 1st coat is on, I think I may have gone a bit heavy on coat one so hopefully I have not boned anything

bth_1stcoat.jpg?t=1377754759

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good man:-).....good that you have found some boots that you really like....

A word of caution (I myself am very impatient).. But be patient and do not paint too thick layers:-).......

Looking forward to the final result:-)

Thanks Soren, trying to go with a light hand but was surprised at how far a little dab of Angelus goes.

And for good measure "Up the Irons!" :)

Yeah it is good paint, even if it takes 6-9 coats....are you using a brush or a sponge?

Yeah! Up the Irons:-)

Using a brush, I saw in some of the posts there were concerns with the paint bubbling so i figured I would go with a smaller brush and worry less about bubbling.

Okeydokey:-)....... Happy painting!:-)

HEY SOREN I WAS THE ONE THAT TOLD YOU ABOUT THEM BOOTS ;)

Hey Brenton...why are you shouting? :-)...and why are you telling me that in Sheik Yerboutis thread?:-)....

Thanks Soren!

I am thinking Scott means my handle, it is the title of a Frank Zappa album.  Everyone knows people that listen to Zappa are a little off :)

Ahaa, an internal joke that I din't get...:-)....

Guys, to clarify, you all believe that the Bass Amsterdam isn't too squared at the end of the shoe?  Here is the shoe on Amazon also and there is a good overhead shot of the boot:  http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Mens-Amsterdam-Ankle-Boot/dp/B003TFEVN0

I'm not interested in Centurion, but rather the lower qualifications, but I would definitely like to get boots different than what I've bought.

191315_366_45_03.jpg

From above. I would never criticize somebody elses boots, but is this more square than what a Centurion would buy?

I think they are a tad, but just a tad, too square compared to the original boots, but they are also rubbersoled, abit too low in the ankle, and too square in the cutoff at the top. I myself prefer boots closer to the originals. They do however not hinder a Centurion qualification.....As the boot criteria "only" are these:

"White leather or leather-like, above ankle height, with a flat sole with a short heel, and small U-shaped elastic sections on both sides of the ankle with no buckles or laces. Jodhpur/Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable. Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed. There shall be no seam on the front of the boot (e.g. CABoots are not allowed).

Boots shall be lightly scuffed."...

Edited by SorenM

It seems like they might pass for centurion but not sure.  Honestly not really a concern for me right now. It looks like most centurions have TKBoots and since that isn't really an option right now... I'll likely go for centurion at some point but right now I just want to get trooping. 

It seems like they might pass for centurion but not sure.  Honestly not really a concern for me right now. It looks like most centurions have TKBoots and since that isn't really an option right now... I'll likely go for centurion at some point but right now I just want to get trooping.

Thumbs up..:-)...

I'm thinking so, have the finisher ready but plan on checking how they look with my armor shins.

The size is 11.5 US.  I have a wide food so usually wear an 11 EE, but Bass has no wide sizes for this boot, but the 11.5 fits my wide flat foot really well.