How to: Make waist belt rivet/snap cover

How many times have you read about a trooper that posted  panicked about losing a snap cover on his waist belt at a troop? How many have assembled a set of armor and found out that the snap covers on the waist belt don't provide enough gluing surface to hold it? Here is what I have come up with to solve these problems.

First the list of what you will need: Propane torch, a dime, long nose pliers to hold your dime, a metal or wood dowel rod that comes close to the same size as the dime, scrap ABS, something rigid and sharp like a razor knife, 1 inch or similar size socket.eAa1Fvl.jpgMost finished snap/rivet covers are approx. 1inch x 1 inch. I mark several on the ABS to have an idea of where my placements will be.lzzGBla.jpgGrab the pliers and heat up the dime until red hot.dRmGqIq.jpgNext place the dime onto your mark.DIQBJi3.jpgYes I wear spongebob pants...ask anyone in the Midwest Garrison. ANYWAY!!!!!!........place the dime over the socket and grab your dowel rod. The socket will provide support for the plastic around the dime. B4VjvwH.jpgDO NOT PRESS HARD!!!! It will go right through the plastic!!!! Press gently and evenly. This will give the plastic a chance to heat up to the point it is able to stretch without breaking. Lift the plastic and look how you are doing. The dime has now begun to cool a bit but the plastic is still hot enough for you to hone the shape by pushing on the dime.ToPIOXt.jpgWhen you have your desired shape, grab your razor knife or sharp, pointy object, bend the plastic a little and pry out the dime.n1XnhXr.jpgThe center of the impression will want to collapse. using your finger, push out the center so it remains domed.vsCSNCY.jpgCut to size and you are done!!!!!!!  You will want to practice on a few before you get the right look of your final button cover. Different ABS or even PVC will melt differently.  The thickness of your plastic also is a huge factor to your success. Have patience and you will get the results you need!

• Like 1

Steve, this is great!  I have been trying to figure out how I was going to make these for my belt. I especially didn't know the best way to heat the ABS, never thought about actually just heating the dime, WOW!  I am trying to get my FX armor up to code and one thing I am doing (of coarse) is replacing the plastic belt with the canvas belt from Trooperbay.  I really needed this.... Thanks.