Couple of sizing questions. . .

Alright gang, my low budget isn't really going to let me buy a full set of AP armor, so at this point in time, I've decided to buy the FX lite kit here on this board and an AP bucket. My first question is about the lower portion of the FX thighs right above the knee. I've noticed in most of the pictures, on average sized people wearing an FX set, the bottom part of the thigh armor looks like there's about one to two inches of open space. Is this just an optical illusion, or is there really that gap? Is there any way to modify it so that its more of a close fit without screwing it up? :blink:

Also, I wanted to ask about the size of the inside of the AP bucket. Would it fit on a person with a size 8 head? Thanks for any help! :D

The open space is from the shape of the left FX thigh. It's actually larger at the bottom than at the top. This can be remedied with trimming of course and eliminate the barrel legged look. I made my left match the size of the right leg, and I think I trimmed a wedge that measured about an inch off the top and about 3 inches off the bottom.

As to the AP helmet. I have a really big noggin as well, and it's a tight fit. One thing you can do is to trim off about 1/4 inch all the way around the neck opening. This little bit will give you a couple more inches to work with (remember HS geometry), but you may want to ask AP for a longer piece of neck trim when you order in case you have to do this.

Good luck.

Alas, the older FX thighs were more normal. If you can't find a pair of them (very rare these days) then trim, trim, trim is your only option for now.

I'd actually recommend when you have some spare greenbacks to order a set of thighs from RT. They should match your armor perfectly and don't have the barrel look that the current FX thighs do.

The AP helmet should fit you fine. Remember that unless you have a very small head everyone puts them on sideways to get them on. I actually have to squeeze mine a little bit too. Terrell's recommendation of trimming the bottom works the majority of the time.

I actually did not trim but simply formed the bottom to more of a taper, kind of like rolling a newspaper. So the back seam is not exactly vertical but more on a slight angle. I glued the front but used super velcro on the back side. This really did the trick for avoiding the ugly storm trooper knickers syndrome.