A newb's attempt Or

James M

Ok, I started a new member intro around September and then disappeared into the archives of this and other websites. I began work on an E-11 from the various templates (mostly PVC Builders Club) and I dusted off the ol' dremmel. Just so you know as I post this my parts are drying off from the primer coats I gave them. If you haven't guessed it's taken me roughly 4 months to finish my first prototype. So anyway I was going to post some pics of my progression only to find out my camara stopped working. So while I do have pictures, it's just going to be a while before I post anything.

When I first started I decided to go with the ESB version of the E-11 as it didn't require the counter and I thought the greeblies looked cool. I started going to Lowe's and ACE hardware for the parts and sat down to make the scope. I didn't have much trouble and had high hopes for the actual gun portion. My Dad was actually curious about what I was doing and once I explained it to him to he showed me a wonderous device. Called a unibit it is a greek god among mere drill bits. post-997-1201285857_thumb.jpg

With it I was able to do the barrel in an hour so I thought 'Gee, this'll be done before Halloween.' What I fool I was...for after that point I had to do the metal working. That...Was...Hell! I have no real talent working with metal and it was agonizingly slow work.

In fact, I'll try to edit this to show my crappy progress via pics. Here's to hoping my camera gets to working in short order.

Yeah the metal work really slows you down. Ive got about 5 hours put into my magazine and housing, prolly another 5 in the stock. The little springy mechanizm under the buttcap took a couple hours to make it functional. Yeah, all in all, the metal work's a slow process. What kind of metal are you using?

Ahhhh, what was it again... I thought it was aluminium but I checked and I was working with freakin' plate steel. It was 26 gauge. It's hard to cut and it mostly melted/got very hot when I used the dremmel. But once I got it down in smaller squares it was really easy to bend and hammer into shape. Also when I polished it the edges didn't need alot of work to dull them so that was good.

Ahhhh, what was it again... I thought it was aluminium but I checked and I was working with freakin' plate steel. It was 26 gauge. It's hard to cut and it mostly melted/got very hot when I used the dremmel. But once I got it down in smaller squares it was really easy to bend and hammer into shape. Also when I polished it the edges didn't need alot of work to dull them so that was good.

Im using 1/16" steel. I like using it over aluminum for 2 reasons, Steel is stronger and weldable and Aluminum gets really hot really quick. I burned the crap out of my fingers when I was making my front sight block (its made out of aluminum)

26 guage? Thats like razor blade thin isn't? 1/64" When I cut that stuff I use metal shears.

Yeah, I asked about it and 26 gauge is 1/2600th of an inch. I won't say razor thin but it acts like a saw blade does. Wobbly and weird noises, still I must just have a craptastic shear because they have trouble cutting. The shears will sometimes bend the metal rather than cutting it.

Oh, and the shop says my camera still has the pics...but it'll be a few days before I get the camera back to post anything.

Good news everybody! My paint seems to be drying well and I've applied the second coat this morning.

James,

Is that a dremel bit you pictured....

I have the dremel XPR witht he drill press, which is awesome, however I can only go up to a 1/8 inch bit....

If that is a dremel bit, how big is the largest hole you can drill.

Thanks!

James,

Is that a dremel bit you pictured....

I have the dremel XPR witht he drill press, which is awesome, however I can only go up to a 1/8 inch bit....

If that is a dremel bit, how big is the largest hole you can drill.

Thanks!

Right, that pic is of a unibit or universal step bit. It's a drill bit that goes from 3/16" to 1/2" wide. VERY nice as it allows you to make incremental holes sizes if you need something slightly larger than what you planned. Now that's just this particular kind I have and I got it from Lowe's Superstore.

Also, I happened to find some pics of the scope I made from the PVC club tutorial. Here's some preassembly post-997-1201412038_thumb.jpg Please don't open the pic looks very bad.

• 1 year later...

After my search and finding this thread, I wanted to bring it back up because i want to start on my blaster, and i'm just not sure what gauge to use because statements on here just do not add up with this chart that i was directed to by a CNC machine operator. like smitty saying he uses 1/16, by this chart is 16 gauge in stainless steel. Then later super says 1/64 is 15 gauge, but for the chart, its 28 gauge, so i'm just really confused and want some real definite numbers, what do ya'll believe is the best gauge to work with thats strong but still easy enough to bend without any big sheet metal equipment? ----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I have a question about building a E11. I downloaded the templates for the E11of the Blaster builders website. I bought a 3 foot piece of 1 1/4 pvc pipe from Lowes. The front end barrell templates did not line up correctly. Did anyone else have this problem. I downloaded both sets. One seems to be a little short and the other is a bit longer?

I also pick up some metal. I picked up two pieces of sheet metal the thickest there. I am going to go back and pickup the welding sheet for the folding stock. My next door neighbor is helping me out. I fix his pc for free and he fixes and tunes up my mountian bike and helps me building stuff like this.

Andy