My first helmet build (ATA)

So hello,

The box has finally arrived and I'm getting things together to start my build. One of my first questions is ... should I paint the interior of the helmet pieces black before I assemble or after? Or should I just leave it plain white?

I am thinking before, to minimize the amount of possible overspray through the various holes I will be cutting into the face piece.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Canadianflier

I painted before cutting anything, used a satin black so it wasn't shinny inside, if you do get any overspray you can just rub off with some polish.

I used an Xacto knife and followed pandatroopers built tutorial. Too be honest a set of different size scissors would have helped out on the curvy parts. I went over the Xacto cuts afew times and then snapped out the cut off pieces a little at a time.

Oh and at the sharp corner over the ear I just drilled out a round hole to stop any future cracks from forming.

Edited by Canadianflier

My favourite tool on my build was my dremel, but looks like you are going well with your xacto knife :D

Well painted the interior flat black. Although not sure i would do that again, a bit messy when trimming out the eyes and nose bits.

On to the ears, left ear is mostly trimmed. Just a bit of fine tuning to do. And man are they fiddle bits to get just right.

Pics to follow.

Looking good, I did get mine quite flat but took a lot of hand sanding to achieve it, just don't go too far or you will end up with really narrow ears. The look is up to you as screen accurate lids had all sorts of gaps around the ears :D

I used a satin black for the vocoder, and a gloss black for the lines and edging on the lid :D